Getting Started/Military

BK520

Hey everyone,

Been monitoring for about a month, just made the account.  I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if you guys are tired of these threads.

I'm active duty military from Rahway, NJ and have had an interest in any type of MTA job for a while. I'll be getting out of the Navy a month from today (June 12). I'm aware of the civil service exams, however the counselors over here help us out and keep sending me applications for certain jobs at MTA. So now I have a silly question. Do you need the civil service exam for admin/IT related jobs?  Most recently, I received an application for a Network Admin and I think a pay/budget related job. I didn't want to apply if I still needed to take the exam. Or are the exams just for conductor, etc.

Also, I read on another forum that I get extra points or something on my exams for being military. Can anyone confirm this?  I really appreciate it. Best of luck to all of you.

Anthony

Hey everyone,

Been monitoring for about a month, just made the account.  I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if you guys are tired of these threads.

I'm active duty military from Rahway, NJ and have had an interest in any type of MTA job for a while. I'll be getting out of the Navy a month from today (June 12). I'm aware of the civil service exams, however the counselors over here help us out and keep sending me applications for certain jobs at MTA. So now I have a silly question. Do you need the civil service exam for admin/IT related jobs?  Most recently, I received an application for a Network Admin and I think a pay/budget related job. I didn't want to apply if I still needed to take the exam. Or are the exams just for conductor, etc.

Also, I read on another forum that I get extra points or something on my exams for being military. Can anyone confirm this?  I really appreciate it. Best of luck to all of you.

Anthony

Hi Anthony:

The answer to your first question is no. You just have to apply online, that's all.

As far as your second question, see the third page of this document, where it says Veterans' Credits, and the bottom of the third page, in addition to page ten of this document as well. Hopefully this will answer your question.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!!

~Young

As Young has already stated, the admin/IT jobs do not require an exam. All you have to do is register on their job bank and search for the job and apply/send a resume. They will then notify you by e-mail or phone if you have passed screening and can move forward to any other additional steps. If not qualified or selected, you probably won't hear back from them. (I applied to a few positions within and only got called back once.)

Hey man I appreciate the response.  Good information, thanks!

You're welcome.

As Young has already stated, the admin/IT jobs do not require an exam. All you have to do is register on their job bank and search for the job and apply/send a resume. They will then notify you by e-mail or phone if you have passed screening and can move forward to any other additional steps. If not qualified or selected, you probably won't hear back from them. (I applied to a few positions within and only got called back once.)

With the college degrees I have, I've applied to several positions, and 99% of the time, I do not hear back from them. I did hear back once from them years ago, but the interview did not go well, from my perspective.

Archived