'Slice' of Subway Car, Near Times Square

paolo999

I visited NY back in February, and came across this. I'm guessing it must have been mentioned here already but haven't found a reference.

A few blocks south of Times Square, there was this in an otherwise anonymous ground floor commercial unit. No signage, no explanation. The windows of the building were grubby, but the inside of this unit was pristine. And there was this slice of car. Completely incongruous.

What is/was the story behind this?

32923936612_77c096790f_k.jpg

PS Oh and as this is my first post, a quick introduction... I love cities. I live in London and am captivated by NY. I'd say they are my two favourite cities in the world.

After retiring form service, it was used in movies and subsequently split in half.

It came back and sat in the Asics store (in the picture). Asics packed up shop and left, and the car has been sitting there ever since.

Makes no sense to preserve it since it's only half a car

After retiring form service, it was used in movies and subsequently split in half.

It came back and sat in the Asics store (in the picture). Asics packed up shop and left, and the car has been sitting there ever since.

Oh.

That's a bit sad. I thought it was going to be part of something - like a gallery exhibit. Seems somehow downbeat that, in fact, all I was looking at was a retailer's cast-off. Grrr.

But thanks for shedding light on that. Explains why I was having to hand-clean a patch on the windows, to get a 'clean' photo.

They should dust that thing off and properly exhibit it somewhere... maybe attach it to a wall so it looks like it's popping out or something. Better than just putting it in the trash, and way better than letting some big corporate chain use it to desperately attempt to create a false sense of legitimacy.

"hey guys, we're real noo yawkuhs, look at this train car with graffiti on it! just like the 80s, remember??? please buy our obscenely marked-up stuff"

I happened to pass by here on Friday on my way to the QM6, and someone was inside the store wearing a hi-res construction vest. Additionally, a sign was in front of the train explaining its history. So, something new may be happening with it

No, the shop isn't open anymore, as mentioned by Turtle a few posts up.

Here's an article talking about its sudden closing in late 2015.

That is news to me though - I haven't been paying attention to that store since it opened, and never knew of its closing until today. I never got to see that car close-up, but I have seen enough pictures on the internet to suffice.

Hopefully some things can be salvaged/sold as memorabilia if it ends up going to the scrap yard.

On the contrary, I think that in the right context, this half a car could be of some interest.

In downtown Prague, there is a model railroad exhibition that picked up an old PCC car a couple of years back. They hacked off the front end and placed it right within the building. Everything was left fully intact, so anyone who's interested can stop by and examine the cab and interior of the car at their own will. Since this video was taken they've also installed a simulator within the cab that can be controlled with the actual real life controls, so there's the interactive element there as well.

Archived