Frequency on Q to increase (SAS)

Union Tpke

What really made (and still does) the (Q) are all the junctions that is has to cross over. SAS helped by removing the choke point at Prince St. and to some degree between Times Sq and Herald Sq.(It really just switch the direction of the chokepoint.) Most of the delays on the (Q) however come from the Dekalb, (Q) trains getting on and off the bridge seem to never get priority.

True, but I have seen many reverse commuters on the (Q) as of late. Not to mention that it indirectly helps peak riders as well. More service means it's a little less likely that a train will be late going to Coney Island. If a train is late getting to the terminal, that means it's late on the return trip, and so forth.

I agree that reliability has gone down across the board, and the MTA's own data shows that regularity has been dropping on most lines. That said, it's been said at least five times already that the (Q) could not see an improvement in service until SAS opened. Just because a line isn't getting more service doesn't mean the MTA wouldn't want that. Hell, most reasonable MTA workers just want what we want: to get from A to B safely, reliably, and for once, on time.

My point still hasn't quite been answered. On WEEKENDS, what caused so many delays with the train only running to 57th street? Still the switching with fewer trains and longer headways? I often would hear "there's train traffic ahead of us" when we had seen such gaps in service that it didn't make sense, especially going by Prince Street to Canal. I just think that logic would state that with a shorter terminal and fewer trains running, there would be fewer issues. I also don't understand how SAS would help with that (switching at areas like Prince St., Times Square, and Herald Square).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this could be because of the r179s. They could free up some r160s from the J/Z and C lines, maybe put that on the Q. Except if it is only one additional trains, I'm having trouble thinking they couldn't do this in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The j/z and c trains all run with 8 cars not 10 cars like the Q.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

My point still hasn't quite been answered. On WEEKENDS, what caused so many delays with the train only running to 57th street? Still the switching with fewer trains and longer headways? I often would hear "there's train traffic ahead of us" when we had seen such gaps in service that it didn't make sense, especially going by Prince Street to Canal. I just think that logic would state that with a shorter terminal and fewer trains running, there would be fewer issues. I also don't understand how SAS would help with that (switching at areas like Prince St., Times Square, and Herald Square).

The SAS service pattern with the (W) as opposed to the 2010-2016 service pattern, removed the double merges the (Q) had at Herald Square and Prince St.

As for your weekend question, the (N)(Q) merges at Prince and DeKalb are the primary culprits.

I don't really see how could there be delays on weekends at Prince and DeKalb anyway when all trains run every 10 minutes during that time.

That's precisely why I asked what I did because trains were usually delayed, even with those headways. I would expect even more delays weekends now if headways are bumped up.

I don't really see how could there be delays on weekends at Prince and DeKalb anyway when all trains run every 10 minutes during that time.

The express run on Sea Beach has completely thrown off the (N) schedule to the point that (N) and (Q) trains occasionally get to the junction at the same time

The express run on Sea Beach has completely thrown off the (N) schedule to the point that (N) and (Q) trains occasionally get to the junction at the same time

Not true, from my experience. I found that every (N) train that ran ahead of the weekend schedule were held at 59th Street. Operations vary on the express run (trains can run fast with longer dwell times at stations; or slow with shorter dwell times), but trains always left 59th Street on time.

I love how there's a "conspiracy" that now the Q goes to the UES. They. Can send more trains on the Q. As a former conductor (and use to work jobs out of Astoria) I can tell you FOR A FACT that since the Q doesn't have to share terminal tracks on either end is why they can add two more trips to the schedule! Its not political (looking at you VG8) bit a matter of operational logistics. Astoria is a conga line! Trains are literally in and out so quick we usually never had the chance to program the train until Astoria blvd. Crews sometimes wound up boarding the wrong trains at first only to be told that the other crew has that train and to change it over (from N to Q or vice versa). Trust me on that! (I have an amusing story to go along with that!). The fact is, since the Q uses its own tracks at CI and now has a northern terminal all to itself it can now allow more trains during peak times. And technically, when heading south bound in the AM, its not "reverse commuting until you get to lower Manhattan. But what do I know? I'm just a former employee.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your clear explanation of the terminal operation at Astoria. Having worked out of Flatbush in the IRT I understand exactly what you're saying. I do have one question for you though. Earlier in this thread one or two people stated that the (Q) was a supplementary line. I have never heard that before. The Brighton line (Q) runs 24/7/365. Where I come from the (B) is the supplementary line. Am I mistaken or is this something new? Carry on.

Thanks for your clear explanation of the terminal operation at Astoria. Having worked out of Flatbush in the IRT I understand exactly what you're saying. I do have one question for you though. Earlier in this thread one or two people stated that the (Q) was a supplementary line. I have never heard that before. The Brighton line (Q) runs 24/7/365. Where I come from the (B) is the supplementary line. Am I mistaken or is this something new? Carry on.

I believe they meant that it was a supplementary line in Astoria, whereas now it has an important northern branch to itself

The Q WAS a supplementary line back when the D ran on Brighton and the Q on 6th ave. Not its not. The B is. It supplements the Q in Bk, the C and D in Manhattan and the D in the Bx during rush hours. When a major delay happens supplementary routes usually gets suspended...which is always the B. You're not mistaken, they are.

I used to live in Forest Hills. Usually, I took the (F) home from work. Occasionally I walked to Chambers and Church to take the (E). From my own experience riding both lines, I think they gave the (E) priority over the (F), because roughly half the time I took the (F), they would stop it in the tunnel just past 21 St - Queensbridge. Whenever I took the (E), it almost never got held after leaving Queens Plaza. They held it at Queens Plaza much more often - probably to connect with the (R) more than anything else.

I used to live in Forest Hills. Usually, I took the (F) home from work. Occasionally I walked to Chambers and Church to take the (E). From my own experience riding both lines, I think they gave the (E) priority over the (F), because roughly half the time I took the (F), they would stop it in the tunnel just past 21 St - Queensbridge. Whenever I took the (E), it almost never got held after leaving Queens Plaza. They held it at Queens Plaza much more often - probably to connect with the (R) more than anything else.

I take the (E) from Queens Plaza to get home from school. It is annoying. It takes 8–9 minutes for an (E) to come, and it gets held to connect for the (R). The (R) leaves first. Once we approach 36th Street Interlocking it is held to allow an (F) to pass. If the train did not wait for the (R) then it would have been able to go before the (F).

To go back to the subject of the Q: weekends sees a lot of reroutes due to GOs. During these GOs supplement schedules are in place. These schedules aren't published to the public. These schedules can also go into effect when an interlining routes has a GO. One supplement can affect many routes it interlines with. So while back when weekend Q trains were ending at 57thst, its schedule may have been changed due to another lines' GO. @vg8. I've read your posts. But with you, its usually the same thing over and over (politics, money, etc). No matter how many things may seem political, it always comes down to what the MTA can do within operations. Yeah, so the UES is gonna see two more trips on the Q. What's so bad about that? Thats two more trips in BK that can help thousands of reverse commuters. It can also further help the Lex who's affected riders go to/from the BX. And riders along Broadway.

Furthermore, as someone who lives off the Brooklyn end of the line, the (Q) could use a few extra trips. The (B)(Q) regularly become SRO after Kings Highway at the peak of the morning rush hour. So this is also to the benefit of Brooklyn riders like myself.

The last seats on the AM rush Manhattan-bound (B) are usually taken at Kings Highway; that is not something unusual.

Whether or not the (Q) has seats past Kings Highway depends on the (B) -- if there is a (B) across the platform at Kings Highway, people will transfer to it and leave some seats open. If there is no (B) across the platform, the (Q) can easily be standing-room-only from that point onward.

Personally, instead of adding (Q) service, I would prefer a rush-hour extension of the (J) or (W) down the Brighton line, to give it direct access to Lower Manhattan. However, this would be more costly and there may not be enough terminal capacity to support such a proposal.

The last seats on the AM rush Manhattan-bound (B) are usually taken at Kings Highway; that is not something unusual.

Whether or not the (Q) has seats past Kings Highway depends on the (B) -- if there is a (B) across the platform at Kings Highway, people will transfer to it and leave some seats open. If there is no (B) across the platform, the (Q) can easily be standing-room-only from that point onward.

Personally, instead of adding (Q) service, I would prefer a rush-hour extension of the (J) or (W) down the Brighton line, to give it direct access to Lower Manhattan. However, this would be more costly and there may not be enough terminal capacity to support such a proposal.

I like that, but in the case of the (J), you have to remember you have only eight car trains and that actually means (in the peak direction towards Jamaica Center) the (J) and (Z) actually operating.

This is a weird quote from the Daily News article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-add-q-trains-ave-subway-line-ridership-soars-article-1.3186366

Judith McClain, senior NYC Transit service planning director, said the agency is also sending N and R trips up the Second Ave. subway line to boost service.

“We actually are creatively adding trips to the Second Ave. line,” she said.

I am curious to see how R trains are supposed to be sent up Second Avenue.

I like that, but in the case of the (J), you have to remember you have only eight car trains and that actually means (in the peak direction towards Jamaica Center) the (J) and (Z) actually operating.

Well, yes. That is implied without being stated.

Although, the (J) and (Z) run 12 trains per hour in the rush hour. That is honestly too much service to extend down the Brighton Line; extending only half of the service (6 trains per hour) would be more appropriate. However, I'm not sure of how this would relate to the (J) and (Z) since extending one but not the other could be difficult.

It would be a waste to extend them via the Brighton Line. Even if there were enough cars, they would be better used for a slight increase in M service to 12 TPH, an increase of F service from 14 TPH to 15 TPH, an extension of the C to Ozone Park, an increase in (Q) service, or an extension of the (W) to Bay Parkway during rush hours.

Well, yes. That is implied without being stated.

Although, the (J) and (Z) run 12 trains per hour in the rush hour. That is honestly too much service to extend down the Brighton Line; extending only half of the service (6 trains per hour) would be more appropriate. However, I'm not sure of how this would relate to the (J) and (Z) since extending one but not the other could be difficult.

That only happened because they were holding the (N) at Bay Parkway, and 59 Street, and again at 45 Street to let the (D) train pass. I take the train from Coney Island when the trains almost always leave at the same time. I know the Brighton local should be slower than the Sea Beach local/4 Avenue express by 6 minutes (as scheduled back in 2007).

Archived