Frequency on Q to increase (SAS)

Union Tpke

Well you can't win when you have commuters being attacked by homeless people like that lady that was sliced in the face the other day on the train.  It's a disgrace that they have the manpower to patrol those Upper East Side stations on the Second Avenue line to keep them pristine, but meanwhile even in Midtown you can see homeless people with all of their personal belongings just spread out throughout various subway stations, along with the deranged ones, and not a cop in sight.  Goes back to what I said earlier. No conspiracy at all. Just a situation where a select group of people are getting special treatment, and it's blatantly obvious for anyone that uses the line with any regularity, especially on weekends.

Facts....Just the other day while riding the  (3) there was a few homeless ppl all over the seats sleeping with several bags right next to them...Slashing situation is something that no one can control with the nuts around the subway... But yes i do agree the mta and police  need to take more action about the homeless problem in there system...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Facts....Just the other day while riding the  (3) there was a few homeless ppl all over the seats sleeping with several bags right next to them...Slashing situation is something that no one can control with the nuts around the subway... But yes i do agree the mta and police  need to take more action about the homeless problem in there system...

Right, but if you keep them out of the subway stations, they likely won't be riding the trains. Let's be honest.  How many of those people do you think actually pay to get on the subway? I've seen numerous individuals jump the turnstiles.  One guy at Fulton Street was so clever that he actually slid right through the turnstile and I just stood and watched him. The way that he did it was incredible. 

If they did a cost-benefit analysis and determined that the long-term savings were outweighed by the upfront costs (not saying this was the case here)

Ju right, ju right.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

This is disgusting. They're only doing this crap to serve the Upper East Side. Before the (Q) ran via 2nd Avenue, service was crappy on the (Q) (the schedules may have said one thing, but the reality was another), and now they can suddenly pump up the frequencies.

I think it's a good thing. Service was never really crappy on the Q ever. I lived off the Brighton line for the last 5 years and it was by far one of my favorite lines and a major decision for me staying in Midwood at the time.

The only major issue I ever had with the Q was the train runs early 80% of the time. If anyone hoes by those scheduled arrival time apps like Transit is doomed! Lol. Outside of the uncontrollable incidents and construction, the Q is the best. It's just always early. When I first moved off Avenue H, I hated the Q because I thought it was always late. Turns out its almost always 2-4 minutes early. This however applies more so to the Northbound side. Southbound trains tend to be right on time or up to 6 minutes late at times and you will see 2 back to back. That's because of all the stupid people in Midtown who get on and off trains at a turtles pace, or hold the doors.

The Q already runs every 6-8 minutes.... Some trips are even more frequently. There are also several daily scheduled trips that run up the N line which increases capacity that almost no one knows about unless you live in this area. I moved from Av H to Bay Ridge about 3 months ago and I can still get my Q from an R at 59th in Brooklyn.

It's not the Q, it's the fact that the schedules are out of date and the line does not have real time arrivals yet. So most people think it's late when there was an 80% chance you just missed it.... The Q runs every 4-6 minutes at rush, 6-8 during the day, then 12 in the evenings before the overnight. This added run is a good thing. It's not just for them uptown.

I think it's a good thing. Service was never really crappy on the Q ever. I lived off the Brighton line for the last 5 years and it was by far one of my favorite lines and a major decision for me staying in Midwood at the time.

The only major issue I ever had with the Q was the train runs early 80% of the time. If anyone hoes by those scheduled arrival time apps like Transit is doomed! Lol. Outside of the uncontrollable incidents and construction, the Q is the best. It's just always early. When I first moved off Avenue H, I hated the Q because I thought it was always late. Turns out its almost always 2-4 minutes early. This however applies more so to the Northbound side. Southbound trains tend to be right on time or up to 6 minutes late at times and you will see 2 back to back. That's because of all the stupid people in Midtown who get on and off trains at a turtles pace, or hold the doors.

The Q already runs every 6-8 minutes.... Some trips are even more frequently. There are also several daily scheduled trips that run up the N line which increases capacity that almost no one knows about unless you live in this area. I moved from Av H to Bay Ridge about 3 months ago and I can still get my Q from an R at 59th in Brooklyn.

It's not the Q, it's the fact that the schedules are out of date and the line does not have real time arrivals yet. So most people think it's late when there was an 80% chance you just missed it.... The Q runs every 4-6 minutes at rush, 6-8 during the day, then 12 in the evenings before the overnight. This added run is a good thing. It's not just for them uptown.

That makes sense.  I too am very familiar with the line having lived in Midwood and the Sheepshead Bay/Manhattan Beach area for a good chunk of my life.  Good line overall, but it is a lot slower than I recall it being years ago.

Oh, you're totally overestimating how the MTA have been about keeping homeless people off the SAS. Just yesterday I got on at 96th. There were 4 homeless people on the car, and only 3 non-homeless people (including myself). And this isn't the first time I've noticed this, either...

Oh, you're totally overestimating how the MTA have been about keeping homeless people off the SAS. Just yesterday I got on at 96th. There were 4 homeless people on the car, and only 3 non-homeless people (including myself). And this isn't the first time I've noticed this, either...

I doubt they got on at 96th though.  Likely got on elsewhere.  I don't know when this started either because in all of the years that the (Q) was my home subway, I can't ever recall homeless folks being present.  This has just started in the last few years, and it seems to be increasing rapidly.

Those are the former (N) trains that used to terminate at 57th Street. They've been extended northward and relabeled as (Q) trains.

Could they add more (R) train on top of what they have now? It could start at 9 Avand provide additional service on 4th Av Local, Downtown Manhattan and Broadway Local, up to 96 St. I choose 9 AV because I am unsure if Bay Ridge could handle additional trains.

Its hard to add service considering the (R) share trackage with 2 lines (M) in queens (W) in manhattan...Me personally ill send current (W) service to either 9av or 95st bay ridge to help out the bklyn portion of the (R)...

I really don't think 9th Avenue is a good place to turn extra trains if the goal is to help out the Brooklyn portion of the (R). The (R) local stations below 36th St have higher ridership than the stations above 36th, so a 9th Avenue train won't be able to serve the 4th Avenue local stations south of 36th and will probably be riding around with a lot of empty seats just like the (brownM) used to.

The last seats on the AM rush Manhattan-bound (B) are usually taken at Kings Highway; that is not something unusual.

Whether or not the (Q) has seats past Kings Highway depends on the (B) -- if there is a (B) across the platform at Kings Highway, people will transfer to it and leave some seats open. If there is no (B) across the platform, the (Q) can easily be standing-room-only from that point onward.

Personally, instead of adding (Q) service, I would prefer a rush-hour extension of the (J) or (W) down the Brighton line, to give it direct access to Lower Manhattan. However, this would be more costly and there may not be enough terminal capacity to support such a proposal.

Adding (Q) service would help out on both the Brighton and the 2nd Ave ends of the (Q). Extended (J) or (W) service may help out on the Brighton, but would do nothing for crowding on 2nd Ave. Like you mentioned, the terminal capacity may not be there for an extended (J) or (W). But also, is there a need for a direct service to Lower Manhattan from the Brighton Line? There hasn't been one since April 1986, when the (brownM) was rerouted to the 4th Ave Line and Bay Parkway when the Manhattan Bridge north side tracks closed and the Brighton Line underwent major track rehabilitation. If a (J) or (W) via Brighton would help to thin out the crowds at DeKalb by having a lot less people transferring there and without causing major delays merging with the (R), then it might be worth considering.

It would be a waste to extend them via the Brighton Line. Even if there were enough cars, they would be better used for a slight increase in M service to 12 TPH, an increase of F service from 14 TPH to 15 TPH, an extension of the C to Ozone Park, an increase in (Q) service, or an extension of the (W) to Bay Parkway during rush hours.

Frankly, I'm not sure extending the (W) to Bay Parkway would be any better than extending the (W) onto the Brighton Line. Either way, it would be a supplemental service that would need to merge in and out with the current services.

If I was doing a (W) extension, I would do the whole works and revamp Broadway service patterns

(R) - unchanged

(Q) - unchanged

(N) - all trains go to 96th street, eliminating the merge with the (R) and (W) at 42nd.

(W) - to 14 tph (or whatever full capacity is at Ditmars), half of trips extended to Brooklyn (9th avenue, Bay Parkway (WE or SB), or maybe 95th (I still don't believe that if they can turn 20something (L) trains per hour at 8th avenue, they can't do a little more at 95th)) 

Net change of +7tph on Broadway, +7.5tph on 2nd, and +7tph on 4th avenue. Also simplifies service patterns, increasing reliability, reducing merge delays and the like. 

Yes, they really should be able to turn more trains at 95th St. It doesn't have to be 30 tph, but maybe 20 like the (L) at 8th Ave. If that's really too much, then they should install switching tracks just south of 86th St, so the extra trains can terminate at 86th and relay on the middle track between 86th and 95th, which is similar to how the late-night southbound (3) relays after leaving Times Sq.

If I was doing a (W) extension, I would do the whole works and revamp Broadway service patterns

(R) - unchanged

(Q) - unchanged

(N) - all trains go to 96th street, eliminating the merge with the (R) and (W) at 42nd.

(W) - to 14 tph (or whatever full capacity is at Ditmars), half of trips extended to Brooklyn (9th avenue, Bay Parkway (WE or SB), or maybe 95th (I still don't believe that if they can turn 20something (L) trains per hour at 8th avenue, they can't do a little more at 95th)) 

Net change of +7tph on Broadway, +7.5tph on 2nd, and +7tph on 4th avenue. Also simplifies service patterns, increasing reliability, reducing merge delays and the like. 

It's too bad they didn't make it so Bay Ridge trains could access either the local or express tracks at 59th Street-4th Avenue.  Obviously, no one thought of the consequences of having such a line have terminals with no yard at either end (the way the  (RR) and later (R) used to run between 95th and Astoria prior to 1987) or you could have then for instance moved the (D) to Bay Ridge (since it has Concourse Yard) and solved a lot of these issues.

The idea overall has merit as long as you can turn all of the (N) and (Q) trains at 96th/2nd.

Yes, they really should be able to turn more trains at 95th St. It doesn't have to be 30 tph, but maybe 20 like the (L) at 8th Ave. If that's really too much, then they should install switching tracks just south of 86th St, so the extra trains can terminate at 86th and relay on the middle track between 86th and 95th, which is similar to how the late-night southbound (3) relays after leaving Times Sq.

That probably makes sense as well having some (R) trains terminate at 86th if need be.

Took the Q yesterday at 86th Street during rush hour. It seams to have 5-6 minute headways. The headways should definitely be increased, platforms get packed quickly.

We aren't going to get increased headways without getting rid of the bottlenecks further down the line. 

Took the Q yesterday at 86th Street during rush hour. It seams to have 5-6 minute headways. The headways should definitely be increased, platforms get packed quickly.

tbh, what more do you want? 6 minute headways is the average rush hour frequency for the subway and the (Q) is not an isolated line to have its headways increased to however you want

tbh, what more do you want? 6 minute headways is the average rush hour frequency for the subway and the (Q) is not an isolated line to have its headways increased to however you want

6 minute headways is the average for a service that shares track with another. The (1)(6)(7)(L) run at considerably lower headways. 

To increase service on SAS, more (N) trains would be sent up to 96 St, and additional (W) trains to Astoria added - run some of them to and from Gravesend if there's a terminal limitation at Whitehall St. Fewer (N) trains switching to the local tracks at 42 St should improve reliability on Broadway as well.

You guys are confused. Increased headways mean that there will be more time in between trains. Instead of six minutes between trains there would be eight. What you mean to be talking about is decreased headways which equal increased trains per hour.

6 minute headways is the average for a service that shares track with another. The (1)(6)(7)(L) run at considerably lower headways. 

To increase service on SAS, more (N) trains would be sent up to 96 St, and additional (W) trains to Astoria added - run some of them to and from Gravesend if there's a terminal limitation at Whitehall St. Fewer (N) trains switching to the local tracks at 42 St should improve reliability on Broadway as well.

common sense that trains will always be crowded during rush hours especially in the morning when ppl are going to work and school roughly at the same time no matter how often you run the trains. it's part of life. thats why i ask him what more does he want

common sense that trains will always be crowded during rush hours especially in the morning when ppl are going to work and school roughly at the same time no matter how often you run the trains. it's part of life. thats why i ask him what more does he want

The problem here is that current (Q) is clearly having problems handling everyone on the line. The (Q) coming in to Lex-63rd during rush hour is packed the way the (6) used to be...

The problem here is that current (Q) is clearly having problems handling everyone on the line. The (Q) coming in to Lex-63rd during rush hour is packed the way the (6) used to be...

how is it having problems handling everyone on the line? Is it irregular more often?

We aren't going to get increased headways without getting rid of the bottlenecks further down the line.

That's one of the reasons some (Q) scheduled runs are Via Sea Beach

how is it having problems handling everyone on the line? Is it irregular more often?

The thing is the ridership is exploding on that section of the line as more people learn about it and start to use it as an alternative. They are only adding 2 trips right now.

Yeah, very irregular. They show up on SAS in packs during rush hour and packed to the gills.

just because every line is crowded during rush hours doesn't necessarily mean they are often irregular. like I said, it's part of life that trains are crowded during rush hours. And SAS is only 3 stops which makes no difference in crowding on the Lex because of the Bronx. You can in theory max out capacity on the (Q) line between 57th Street and 96th Street and total ridership will still remain fairly crowded. No one should expect a much less crowded train during rush hours at all, ever

Archived