LIRR Block Operator Trainee

woj88

Basically your a like a air traffic controller receiving orders from a train dispatcher above you in directing trains. Your glued to desk controlling switches and signals . It's a high rewards job and also could be very stressful job at the same time. Small roster with very little OT , but a good chance at moving up to Train dispatcher or from there to Chief Train dispatcher and other manager jobs. It's a good craft but it isn't for everybody. That's what I know from it , but definitely go for it and Good Luck..

Edited by LIRR 154

Basically your a like a air traffic controller receiving orders from a train dispatcher above you in directing trains. Your glued to desk controlling switches and signals . It's a high rewards job and also could be very stressful job at the same time. Small roster with very little OT , but a good chance at moving up to Train dispatcher or from there to Chief Train dispatcher and other manager jobs. It's a good craft but it isn't for everybody. That's what I know from it , but definitely go for it and Good Luck..

thank you for the info, it sounds like it could be stressful, do you know how much of it deals with looking at signals? Which stations do they place the block operators? I'm assuming jamaica, penn.

thank you for the info, it sounds like it could be stressful, do you know how much of it deals with looking at signals? Which stations do they place the block operators? I'm assuming jamaica, penn.

You have to know all signals and definitions like Engineers and Conductors. They have BO's in Jay , Valley ,Penn (PSCC),Atlantic Terminal, I think Harold also and probably a few others if I'm missing some. There use to be more towers all over the RR at one time.It can be stressful , from what I've been told by a few BO's I know. But some people live for that stuff and also some people like to work in a office type setting staring computers. Depends on you , but it's a good job and also a great way to have your foot in the door. Like I said before , this craft usually leads to higher crafts in the Transportation dept.

• 7 months later...

Happy new year all. I recently got invited for Signal and Definition overview (01/31/18) after passing some test on the day of the orientation. Are there anyone who is on same boat as me? I'm new to the forum.

8 minutes ago, Cappi10 said:

I just got invited to the open house on Jan 25 and if i make it passed that, the overview on Jan 31.  I noticed they only give you 3 weeks to study for the S&D whereas the conductors & engineers get 5 weeks. why is that?

U just got invited to the orientation on Jan 25? I guess they are looking for more people. I have S & D overview on 31st. If you get invited to the overview, does that mean you passed the background/credit check?

4 minutes ago, Noob said:

U just got invited to the orientation on Jan 25? I guess they are looking for more people. I have S & D overview on 31st. If you get invited to the overview, does that mean you passed the background/credit check?

Yes  just got the email Friday  so possibly trying to fill a class. I’ve been through the AC process but not the BO process. Not sure. You’ll find out everything on 1/31. I’m just not sure why they only give u 3 weeks for the S&D? It’s a lot for 3 weeks  

4 minutes ago, Noob said:

E

I think there are more people for AC than BO. There were not even 20 people at the orientation. We took the cognitive exam and after like 3 weeks later, a lady called me in the morning asking a question about my application and then sent me an invitation to S & D email later that afternoon around 3PM. So I guess you have to pass your background/credit check before you get invited to S & D?

8 minutes ago, Noob said:

I think there are more people for AC than BO. There were not even 20 people at the orientation. We took the cognitive exam and after like 3 weeks later, a lady called me in the morning asking a question about my application and then sent me an invitation to S & D email later that afternoon around 3PM. So I guess you have to pass your background/credit check before you get invited to S & D?

AC is a job that’s always hiring. BO is a little harder to get into. Less positions avail. That’s why it’s smaller. 

22 hours ago, Noob said:

@Cappi10 yeah i know what u mean. 2 extra weeks is a lot and I hope its because of the less materials to study...

Has to be less materials. fingers crossed anyway. the full spectrum is a daunting task in 3 weeks, especially if you work full time.

Hi everyone, just found out this forum. I will be going to the Jan. 31st S&D overview. Any guess for the official S&D exam format? Like multiple choice, fill in blank, Ture or false, memorial writing or scenario handling questions?

3 hours ago, hhz93 said:

Hi everyone, just found out this forum. I will be going to the Jan. 31st S&D overview. Any guess for the official S&D exam format? Like multiple choice, fill in blank, Ture or false, memorial writing or scenario handling questions?

the overview is the day they inform you on what you need to do/study and they will give you the materials you need. all your questions will also be answered on this day

17 hours ago, hhz93 said:

Congrats and me too. we got same date for the overview. When did you go to the orientation btw? I went on 12/21/17 at 8:30am. I was surprised not many people were there, not even 20 people.

• 2 weeks later...