LIRR Block Operator Trainee

woj88

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, LIRR 154 said:
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:01 PM, woj88 said:

thank you for the info, it sounds like it could be stressful, do you know how much of it deals with looking at signals? Which stations do they place the block operators? I'm assuming jamaica, penn.

You have to know all signals and definitions like Engineers and Conductors. They have BO's in Jay , Valley ,Penn (PSCC),Atlantic Terminal, I think Harold also and probably a few others if I'm missing some. There use to be more towers all over the RR at one time.It can be stressful , from what I've been told by a few BO's I know. But some people live for that stuff and also some people like to work in a office type setting staring computers. Depends on you , but it's a good job and also a great way to have your foot in the door. Like I said before , this craft usually leads to higher crafts in the Transportation dept.

There are also towers at Divide (DV) at Hicksville, Nassau at Mineola, Queens, Babylon, and Lead at Long Beach. Harold is controlled by PSCC.

Edited by nostalgia
Added more information

17 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

There are also towers at Divide (DV) at Hicksville, Nassau at Mineola, Queens, Babylon, and Lead at Long Beach. Harold is controlled by PSCC.

You need to know all the signals & definitions like the engineers & conductors? Then why is it that they test you on half of the amount they test for the others? And give you 3 weeks to study as opposed to 5 weeks for the Engineers & Conductors? Why wouldn’t it be the same tests & study material. Just curious. 

22 hours ago, Cappi10 said:

You need to know all the signals & definitions like the engineers & conductors? Then why is it that they test you on half of the amount they test for the others? And give you 3 weeks to study as opposed to 5 weeks for the Engineers & Conductors? Why wouldn’t it be the same tests & study material. Just curious. 

Could it be they are taught more than S&D? Engineers have to learn cab signals. I don't know why block operators would have to know anything about cab signals.

22 hours ago, BroadwayBuffer said:

Good luck to those taking the exam. I'd be curious to hear about what the training is like and how the job compares to tower operators at NYCT, so keep us updated.

Also, PSCC, is that sort of an equivalent to the NYCT RCC or the RTC for Metro-North?

PSCC is like NYCT and Metro North RCC.

PSCC controls the railroad between A Interlocking on the west side of the station all the way east to Harold.