3 Years ago at the Bruckner

Fred G

A gas truck spilled its contents after rolling over at the sharp curve right over the Amtrak tracks, near Whitlock Av station. Once the fire was out, Amtrak lost no time in dispatching a work train and crew to the site to repair the burned catenary. In the meantime, it pulled the Acelas off the northeast corridor north of NYP, and ran limited service with AEM7's pulled through the accident area by P42 diesels. By about 188th street in the Bronx, the trains continued under electric power and the diesels turned at New Rochelle.

I ran down to the city and took some pics (what else is new? lol)

21+Amtrak+p42s+103+_amp_+111+crossing+Hutchinson+River+02.jpg

P42's on the Hutchinson River bridge; Pelham Bay is behind it.

22+Amtrak+p42s+103+_amp_+111+crossing+Hutchinson+River+03.jpg

closeup

28+Amtrak+Regional+train+crossing+Hutchinson+River.jpg

Regional train crossing the bridge.

Meanwhile, down at the Bruckner:

Bruckner+100505+119.jpg

work train and crew

Bruckner+100505+138.jpg

grainy pic of P42 coming up the line. It was getting dark so I shot at 1600 ISO

Bruckner+100505+144.jpg

AEM7 being towed through the burn area

Bruckner+100505+154.jpg

Here are the albums:

10/05/05 Diesels on Amtrak Hell Gate

10/05/05 Amtrak Bruckner Catenary Repair

IIRC, 2 days later, Acela's were running again, everything was fixed and I was someplace else taking pics :D Thanks for looking, folks!

Great coverage Fred! I remember watching the "tee vee" and seeing breaking news about it.

Thanks, Pablo. I had the day off and was originally just going to New Rochelle for some diesel shots there. Then all of a sudden I'm in Coop City lol :D After that I just give up and surrender to the urge to fan.

Great shots man!

I've never seen a toaster with its pantographs down in service.

- A

LOL, "pants down" :D:D

Oh my gosh! I live RIGHT NEXT to the Hutchinson River Bridge. Trains pass by all the time!

This is scary...haha.

I remember that gas spill though, I'm shocked no one died.

Well the driver of the truck died but yes it's a miracle more people didn't.

I remember that day! my grandmother called me when that happend. she lived between Story ave and Bruckner 4 blocks away on Evergreen. its where i grew up. My first railfanning was growing up in the 80s looking off that bridge for Amtrak trains and the occasional freight to the hunts point market thru the spur just about 300 ft north of the Bruckner! i still did looking for Acela trains when they first started running them. ofcourse tht was when i wanted to see them up close. i lived on the 16th floor with my bedroom window facing Bruckner. so i saw the NEC trains frm there up to the draw bridge in West Farms where it crosses the Bronx River. Plus the (6) from the Portal to elder and then again pulling out of Morrison-Soundveiw. And the (2) and (5) trains between 174 and E tremont. LOL

Nice photos!!

Thanks!

Wow Fred, 'Hot' Coverage! Weird Lashup viewing the P42s with the AEM7:D

Thanks, lucky I had time to chase it ;)

You know, even at ISO 1600, this shot still came out great!

Thanks, Pablo, it's usable but wouldn't hang it on the wall :)

I remember that day! my grandmother called me when that happend. she lived between Story ave and Bruckner 4 blocks away on Evergreen. its where i grew up. My first railfanning was growing up in the 80s looking off that bridge for Amtrak trains and the occasional freight to the hunts point market thru the spur just about 300 ft north of the Bruckner! i still did looking for Acela trains when they first started running them. ofcourse tht was when i wanted to see them up close. i lived on the 16th floor with my bedroom window facing Bruckner. so i saw the NEC trains frm there up to the draw bridge in West Farms where it crosses the Bronx River. Plus the (6) from the Portal to elder and then again pulling out of Morrison-Soundveiw. And the (2) and (5) trains between 174 and E tremont. LOL

Cool post! :D

Archived