Why schedule Yankee games during rush hours?

Juelz4309

Come on. Games take 3 hours as it is. Starting at 8 would mean ending after 11. When would people get home? As for many more day games, that ship sailed decades ago. FWIW, in the 50s, night games did start at 8 - but games only took 2 or 2-1/2 hours then.

Also, there are only 81 home games a year -- and many are on weekends, holidays, or the occasional weekday afternoon. So the problems only affect a few score days of the year.

You're joking right? They are a home-run machine. Great young players. Ever hear of Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez? If not, I can't take you seriously.

So you are for racial and ethnic quotas? The reason there seem to be many Dominicans is because of scouting! They have found a lot of talented kids there. Talent is the sole criterion for entering MLB, and is the sole criterion there should be.

No, I meant what I said.  The game overall is boring.  The Yanks are doing well this season but still.  I grew up watching baseball religiously, and watched anybody and everybody.  You can't possibly compare this team to the championship teams of the 90s. Not even close.  Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Posada, O'Neil and on and on.  Bernie Williams was such a cool guy.  Talented outfielder... Smooth player and a great musician too.  The guys of today have no personality.  It's all about money these days.  There's a lot of problems with the game... A lot... I remember going to the games as a kid and even if you didn't have money you could get in for cheap, get a little food.  Now everything is high-end.  Ridiculously priced food, etc.  The game is lost.  Too many overpaid players.  

I know all about the scouting, which is why I made the point that I did.  Part of this scouting crap is tied to money too. You get a really young guy, and you groom him and then boom, he comes up and you pay the guy and you're looking to see how much of a return he can bring you.  The problem is now they're focusing solely on places like the D.R., so you don't have a mix of players anymore. There's fewer chances for other guys to come from elsewhere and make an impact.  There's nothing wrong with guys from the D.R., but the MLB is an American pastime.  You want to showcase majority Dominican players, fine, but are they going to connect with a lot of American kids if they can't even speak English?  That's the question.  It's about drawing out new fans. Currently the MLB is not doing that.  They're doing it with die hard fans that will watch no-matter what, but the sport needs NEW fans and kids to watch, and right now, that isn't happening as much as it should, so you tell me. 

Sorry to say this, but most of those Dominican guys identify with D.R. first and foremost, and that's that.  They don't consider themselves American and kids want to emulate someone that they feel a connection to. I'm sure the Dominican kids here certainly emulate guys because they're Dominican and there's a cultural connection. That isn't to say that American kids can't have a connection with these guys, but it's less likely.

I know all about the scouting, which is why I made the point that I did.  Part of this scouting crap is tied to money too. You get a really young guy, and you groom him and then boom, he comes up and you pay the guy and you're looking to see how much of a return he can bring you.  The problem is now they're focusing solely on places like the D.R., so you don't have a mix of players anymore. There's fewer chances for other guys to come from elsewhere and make an impact.  There's nothing wrong with guys from the D.R., but the MLB is an American pastime.  You want to showcase majority Dominican players, fine, but are they going to connect with a lot of American kids if they can't even speak English?  That's the question.  It's about drawing out new fans. Currently the MLB is not doing that.  They're doing it with die hard fans that will watch no-matter what, but the sport needs NEW fans and kids to watch, and right now, that isn't happening as much as it should, so you tell me. 

Sorry to say this, but most of those Dominican guys identify with D.R. first and foremost, and that's that.  They don't consider themselves American and kids want to emulate someone that they feel a connection to. I'm sure the Dominican kids here certainly emulate guys because they're Dominican and there's a cultural connection. That isn't to say that American kids can't have a connection with these guys, but it's less likely.

Actually, in my high school at least, my fellow classmates on the baseball team, and the ones who were just baseball fans connected more with the Dominican players than the American ones. And most of these guys were't Dominican or even Latin, but the way the Dominican players play the game got them interested and involved in it. We would have long arguments and discussions about baseball, the way other kids argue about basketball.

Actually, in my high school at least, my fellow classmates on the baseball team, and the ones who were just baseball fans connected more with the Dominican players than the American ones. And most of these guys were't Dominican or even Latin, but the way the Dominican players play the game got them interested and involved in it. We would have long arguments and discussions about baseball, the way other kids argue about basketball.

That's great, but overall kids are playing baseball less and people are watching less, and there is indeed a problem.  Guys like Ortiz, Ramirez, Pujols... Great players, but I don't know if these guys can get the game back on track.  The issue is bigger than the players.

Ima yankee fan vs mets BUT why on earth do they schedule those games during the rush hours? I think those are 7:05pm games but obviously people start headin out at the height of rush hour. Ive seen PACKED out 4 and D trains with nothin but freakin fans and they stand out clear as day like the undercover cops with all that yankee gear. You got thousands of regular people tryin to get home and then you add thousands more just for leisure??? Dosent make sense!!! Schedule them games for 12pm

or 8pm and the Weekends. Im sure the 7 prolly goes thru the same thing. Am I the only one that feels like this?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

You make it seem like this is something NEW. Someone mentioned that 6-8pm are standard times for any sports games as 11am-4pm for weekend games for many sports. However as NYorkers we seem to adapt well and deal with life. The T/A does a well job with Yankee Specials as after games trains are layedup on M track from 161 all the way to Burnside/Tremont or so for after the game but before the game PM service starts early(as for express runs). There's not much that can be done as far as borrowing equipment especially during the rush hours. I lived in the Bronx for 17 years and I've never had a problem with Yankee fans its nice when they get off though because the train is literally empty per say 650, but on a weekday persay no Yankee game for 7 the trains are jammed pack all the way upto Kingsbridge or Mosholu for the D and 4.

No, I meant what I said.  The game overall is boring.  The Yanks are doing well this season but still.  I grew up watching baseball religiously, and watched anybody and everybody.  You can't possibly compare this team to the championship teams of the 90s. Not even close.  Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Posada, O'Neil and on and on.  Bernie Williams was such a cool guy.  Talented outfielder... Smooth player and a great musician too.  The guys of today have no personality.  It's all about money these days.  There's a lot of problems with the game... A lot... I remember going to the games as a kid and even if you didn't have money you could get in for cheap, get a little food.  Now everything is high-end.  Ridiculously priced food, etc.  The game is lost.  Too many overpaid players.  

Plenty of American kids connect with Hispanic players (they are not only from DR either  - there are Venezuelans, Panamanians, Cubans, even Mexicans). Bernie Williams is Puerto Rican. What about Posada? Mariano Rivera - he didn't speak English all that well - he was a huge favorite. And plenty of American kids speak Spanish! Unless you define "American" to mean WASPS and white ethnics. You're analysis is confused.

Regarding the game generally - I am 68 and you talk like you are older than me! "When I was young, they knew how to play the game . . ." Please.

Plenty of American kids connect with Hispanic players (they are not only from DR either  - there are Venezuelans, Panamanians, Cubans, even Mexicans). Bernie Williams is Puerto Rican. What about Posada? Mariano Rivera - he didn't speak English all that well - he was a huge favorite. And plenty of American kids speak Spanish! Unless you define "American" to mean WASPS and white ethnics. You're analysis is confused.

Regarding the game generally - I am 68 and you talk like you are older than me! "When I was young, they knew how to play the game . . ." Please.

You're proving my point.  The game had a mix of players. Hispanics are NOT all the same. Dominicans have their own style.  Puerto Ricans have their own style, and so on, and then you have Hispanics born here.  Dominican players tend to be a lot more flashy overall and over the top.  My analysis isn't confused at all.  If you think the game is in healthy shape, that you as a 68 year old still think it's a great game while young folks like myself and kids aren't watching it, then that's precisely the problem.  There's a disconnect.  

If you think the game was played the same in the 90s as it is now then you're sadly mistaken. That isn't the point. Sports always evolve.  The question is how they evolve and if they evolve for the better. There is no "right" way to play.  It's about what's entertaining.  Hell I've been watching hockey since I was a kid too, and I still watch it. The game has certainly changed, but in a good way. It's still entertaining to watch.  MLB meanwhile... They can't figure out how to keep people entertained.  Changing the start time won't matter either, not unless they alienate more people, but it won't have a huge positive impact either way. Baseball has been on the decline for years now, so as I said, the players are just part of the problem.  

The problem with baseball is the absolute purism & never-ending nostalgia that dominates the sport.... Every freakin time, there's some mention of DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle, Mays, the usual suspects... Yeah yeah, national pastime this & that, but how far into the past do I have to continue to have to hear about in 2017???? They less than half-ass promote their current stars & then wonder why TV ratings dwindle... If it weren't for poor hispanics using the majors as a come up, I'd have to say the sport would be in some serious trouble... I mean, you have this caliber of young talent that you have in the game that you have (especially) in the last 1/2 decade - and lo & behold, I gotta hear about what 3-fingers brown or two-toes charlie did in some obligatory game back in 1950-whatever the f****.....

That's the problem with baseball.... No matter what anyone younger than what, 40, have done for the sport, it will never, and I mean NEVER measure up to what ANYONE that played in the majors before what, the 70's, have done... Even if you take PED's completely out of the equation.....

I thought this was a train fourm, not a baseball forum over who's good and who's not.

And the (B) should run to Bedford Park full time during the weekdays (except late nights of course.) But there is also the case of weekend service as the (C) can not handle CPW alone.

I thought this was a train fourm, not a baseball forum over who's good and who's not.

And the (B) should run to Bedford Park full time during the weekdays (except late nights of course.) But there is also the case of weekend service as the (C) can not handle CPW alone.

Oh well. You think we're going to talk about the start time of baseball games and the subways and not talk about the sport? You kind of have to given that the start time has changed.

Old Yankee Stadium was right up against the IRT tracks.  There, did that satisfy your need to metamod?

Anyone notice a similar level of crowding for NYC FC games at Yankee Stadium? Those games start at 7:30pm on weekdays.

NYCFC Games are usually played on weekends at around 1 PM or in rare instances on a Wednesday or Thursday night. The crowding isn't as bad as Yankees games as crowds are downsized from the stadium's full capacity.

I'm not sure if I can add anything new here except to echo a few comments.

The issue is not the nationalities of the players. Shame.

It's the rush hour, there is no extra service that can be added. Maybe they cut one train off the D. That train is gone.  Cars were transfered and in the B Division cars are tight because there are no R179's, the W is back with the Q going to 96/2.  Lets not bring up over-scrapping because no one in transit mgt. expected ridership to explode the way it has and expected the late arrival of new cars.

Now a 7 PM start time is not transits' problem, or that of the Yankees.  Many people drive to the park too.  I haven't heard traffic dept. or the mayors office complaining about increased traffic!  Maybe the trains wouldn't be so crowded if employers would stagger work hours.  One hour earlier or later isn't going to hurt any employee/er.  But the attitude is "Let the others change their hours."

When the games started at 8, we had complete games that ran less than 2:30.  Today with all the pitching changes, dilly/dallying between pitches, replays and the like, if a game takes 3:00 we're doing good.  Dads who take junior to the game appreciate the ending time usually by 10:30.

The NBA finals is not an issue here.  It's a national, not local game. Prime time viewership.  Top dollar for commercial time.  The 9PM start time is only for the east coast.  Yes it's late, but the max is 7 games.  And not all on a weeknight.  Of course this year it was 5.

I'm not sure if I can add anything new here except to echo a few comments.

The issue is not the nationalities of the players. Shame.

It's the rush hour, there is no extra service that can be added. Maybe they cut one train off the D. That train is gone.  Cars were transfered and in the B Division cars are tight because there are no R179's, the W is back with the Q going to 96/2.  Lets not bring up over-scrapping because no one in transit mgt. expected ridership to explode the way it has and expected the late arrival of new cars.

Now a 7 PM start time is not transits' problem, or that of the Yankees.  Many people drive to the park too.  I haven't heard traffic dept. or the mayors office complaining about increased traffic!  Maybe the trains wouldn't be so crowded if employers would stagger work hours.  One hour earlier or later isn't going to hurt any employee/er.  But the attitude is "Let the others change their hours."

When the games started at 8, we had complete games that ran less than 2:30.  Today with all the pitching changes, dilly/dallying between pitches, replays and the like, if a game takes 3:00 we're doing good.  Dads who take junior to the game appreciate the ending time usually by 10:30.

The NBA finals is not an issue here.  It's a national, not local game. Prime time viewership.  Top dollar for commercial time.  The 9PM start time is only for the east coast.  Yes it's late, but the max is 7 games.  And not all on a weeknight.  Of course this year it was 5.

What sort of hours would you propose?  I say this because employers already do this, more than you think in fact, not including the people that only commute in a few days a week.  My first office had hours from 08:30 to 17:30, as we were not compensated for lunch, but during summer months,  we only worked until 14:00 on Fridays, but were paid and allowed to leave early, so it evened itself out.  At other places I've worked, it's been 09:00 - 17:00 for some employees or 10:00 - 18:00 for others, with others having different hours depending on what office they worked in.

I purposely leave my office later to try to avoid the rush since I have clients in different time zones, and it really doesn't matter. Trains are still mobbed, as are the streets.  The other thing people don't seem to account for are all of the tourists flocking here.  They have to get around somehow too, and I doubt all of them are taking taxis.  

You say that now but you started this with a rant against Dominican players.

Yeah, I stand by everything I said. You argued that they aren't part of the problem, but never stated what exactly is causing the decline in fans watching the sport.  So tell me what's causing the decline then?  The stats don't lie. 

Yeah, I stand by everything I said. You argued that they aren't part of the problem, but never stated what exactly is causing the decline in fans watching the sport.  So tell me what's causing the decline then?  The stats don't lie. 

It is very clearly the slowing of the pace of play and the loss of action in the game because of the increasing strikeout rates. This season there have been 8.23 strikeouts a game. As recently as 2011, it was 7.1. Hell, in 2005, it was 6.3. Even at the height of the steroid era it never reached 7. As strikeouts increase, the amount of balls in play naturally decreases, and balls in play represent action, excitement. Even if HR rates have increased as well, there's still less action. Which means the game is boring. And means fans are less likely to watch.

There is only one player in the top 25 in home runs who also has one of the lowest 25 strikeout rates - Joey Votto, who is an anomaly in every sense of the word. As home runs increase, we pay a price and strikeouts also increase. This makes the game boring, just as I'm sure the late 60s were very boring, with the league average hovering under .240. The league batting average has also declined from .270, the standard from the 70s until just a few years ago, to .253. They stepped up and fixed the game in 1969, they can do it again now. It's not the Dominican players' fault, it's the fault of people scouting for power on both offense and pitching, leading to lots of strikeouts and few hits, and a boring game.

It is very clearly the slowing of the pace of play and the loss of action in the game because of the increasing strikeout rates. This season there have been 8.23 strikeouts a game. As recently as 2011, it was 7.1. Hell, in 2005, it was 6.3. Even at the height of the steroid era it never reached 7. As strikeouts increase, the amount of balls in play naturally decreases, and balls in play represent action, excitement. Even if HR rates have increased as well, there's still less action. Which means the game is boring. And means fans are less likely to watch.

There is only one player in the top 25 in home runs who also has one of the lowest 25 strikeout rates - Joey Votto, who is an anomaly in every sense of the word. As home runs increase, we pay a price and strikeouts also increase. This makes the game boring, just as I'm sure the late 60s were very boring, with the league average hovering under .240. The league batting average has also declined from .270, the standard from the 70s until just a few years ago, to .253. They stepped up and fixed the game in 1969, they can do it again now. It's not the Dominican players' fault, it's the fault of people scouting for power on both offense and pitching, leading to lots of strikeouts and few hits, and a boring game.

Of course not, but I do think there's a lack of diversity these days, and that is a problem too.  

But overall attendance is down and the sport is suffering as a whole.  There's nothing wrong with foreign players.  The game has had them for years.  The difference is there's a lack of balance now.  American kids don't have fellow ballplayers to connect to.  If the guy you consider following doesn't even speak English, well there's a barrier right there.  That's the other reason that the start time can't be pushed back.  The game is suffering enough as it is in terms of getting the next group of fans to watch.  It needs all the help it can get.  I just think the MLB needs to rebrand itself, and there needs to be more scouting of players from other countries besides the D.R.  More Cubans, Mexicans, Ricans, Americans, Japanese guys... A nice mix like it was before.  Dare I say black players too. Very few of those these days too.  Is there a Griffey Jr. around? Can't think of one.  Each group of players has their own thing.  The Dominicans are cool too, but it can be nauseating watching them at times... Over dramatic, and everything is D.R. centric. Sorry you're in America now.   <_<  That's why a nice mix is needed.  

This is massively stupid, mildly racist, and overall a complete waste of the thread. Well done!

--

To address the general thread: I'd imagine it's an organization decision that has to do with the number of hours between games, factoring in time for away game travel. That along with maximizing daylight for games, saving light costs, etc. Agree that it's complicated having trains packed with commuters and fans, but contrary to some of what others have said, the subway will always remain the most efficient way to get to the Stadium.

This is massively stupid, mildly racist, and overall a complete waste of the thread. Well done!

--

To address the general thread: I'd imagine it's an organization decision that has to do with the number of hours between games, factoring in time for away game travel. That along with maximizing daylight for games, saving light costs, etc. Agree that it's complicated having trains packed with commuters and fans, but contrary to some of what others have said, the subway will always remain the most efficient way to get to the Stadium.

I never knew diversity was mildly racist. Nice try. And from Midtown, MNRR is much better. Beats the subway every time, as it's only two stops to the stadium.

They should give a damn since quite a few people in Midtown see their games and use the subway and pay a pretty penny for those seats and overpriced food and lousy booze they serve.  I personally would NEVER use the subway again to get there (I was driven by my friend afterwards back to Manhattan) to the express bus.  

From the Yankees' perspective, as long as Yankee stadium fills up they don't have to give a crap about how people get to and from games. It's not like they're the Islanders having problems putting asses in seats.

What sort of hours would you propose?  I say this because employers already do this, more than you think in fact, not including the people that only commute in a few days a week.  My first office had hours from 08:30 to 17:30, as we were not compensated for lunch, but during summer months,  we only worked until 14:00 on Fridays, but were paid and allowed to leave early, so it evened itself out.  At other places I've worked, it's been 09:00 - 17:00 for some employees or 10:00 - 18:00 for others, with others having different hours depending on what office they worked in.

I purposely leave my office later to try to avoid the rush since I have clients in different time zones, and it really doesn't matter. Trains are still mobbed, as are the streets.  The other thing people don't seem to account for are all of the tourists flocking here.  They have to get around somehow too, and I doubt all of them are taking taxis.  

The sort of hours I propose are: 6-2, 7-3, 8-4, 9-5, 10-6, 11-7.  This would make a big difference.  But again, the attitude is "Let the others stagger their hours.

Of course not, but I do think there's a lack of diversity these days, and that is a problem too.  

That's because USA kids are not playing Little League as much as they did in the past, therefore the pipeline is drying up

IMO USA kids are more into soccer today. 

The sort of hours I propose are: 6-2, 7-3, 8-4, 9-5, 10-6, 11-7.  This would make a big difference.  But again, the attitude is "Let the others stagger their hours.

That's because USA kids are not playing Little League as much as they did in the past, therefore the pipeline is drying up

IMO USA kids are more into soccer today. 

That's simply not practical for some businesses though.  We have clients all over in different time zones, and therefore we stagger our hours with some employees starting earlier and some later.  A business that closes at 14:00... Guess what... Clients will complain.  We are open for almost two hours above the standard workday, and yet we still have people calling and e-mailing as if we're supposed to be open 24/7, including weekends. lol  

I get e-mails all times of the night. Got one last night at almost midnight from one of our clients out West asking about something. I can also say that as a customer who frequents businesses with odd hours, I have stopped going to certain places.  If I have to alter to my daily routine just to have the "privilege" to go there, it's probably not worth it. There's a business in my neighborhood like that where lots of people complained about the hours because they're kosher.  Well they responded by finally staying open later on certain days, but they're still closed on Saturdays for Shabbat (Sabbath), and close extremely early on Fridays (especially when the sun goes down earlier).  They want to make sure that they serve their Jewish customers, but it's still annoying because Saturdays is when most people like to go to places and relax and eat.  

Ima yankee fan vs mets BUT why on earth do they schedule those games during the rush hours? I think those are 7:05pm games but obviously people start headin out at the height of rush hour. Ive seen PACKED out 4 and D trains with nothin but freakin fans and they stand out clear as day like the undercover cops with all that yankee gear. You got thousands of regular people tryin to get home and then you add thousands more just for leisure??? Dosent make sense!!! Schedule them games for 12pm

or 8pm and the Weekends. Im sure the 7 prolly goes thru the same thing. Am I the only one that feels like this?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

This is the perfect setup for a terrorist situation and worst than 911! In my opinion, MTA would be totally responsible and Trump Team should take America great MTA over make America NYCMTA great again. The Trump Team take Over anything that fall under insanely questionable situtions. In my opinion these types agencies wants something horrible to happen. So that they can claim that they was just following protocols from revenue stockholders.

Boy oh boy, I just know it would be 100% better than what present.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Archived