Using Metro-North pass for Transit Authority?

cterry1962

Just took a test for Mnrr Custodian job and it was easy, hoping i go to next steps, but i'm curious, i live in Queens. Can i use a Metro-North employee pass on Transit Authority trains and buses. i'm hearing two different things. One is it's up to transit bus operator or clerk in subway and the other is definitely no. Can anyone let me know.    Thanks.

The short (and formal) answer is no. When hired it is clearly stated it is for Metro North transportation only.

That is not to say that some subway agents won't let you through the turnstile. However, they are not obligated to.

I find it funny that some employees think they should have a free pass to go anywhere and everywhere on the (MTA)'s dime.  The two summers that I worked for the (MTA), I was given an employee pass (Metrocard).  It worked from 07:00 - 19:00 Monday through Friday, good for the local buses and subways only, so it was really only for work, but I got to use it on Fridays since we were given the day off.  Once I was actually stuck due to a situation with the subways and eventually had to pay to get home because the pass stopped working, but I was grateful to have it.  Saved me from having to pay to get to and from the (MTA) office.  

You're supposed to pay to ride the system. But more times than not you'll be able to get a courtesy ride from a bus operator or station agent. Only NYCTA employees can ride free on the rail roads due to contract negotiations over the past few years.

Station Supervisor

Archived