SBS Will Not Solve Beach Commuter's Headache

BrooklynBus

Is there something illegal about that? Do they have a residency requirement I don't know about?

Illegal no. Odd yes. I'm also curious what exactly does the Queens Transit Committee do because quite frankly, Queens gets also crap service overall, and it seems like there is no one speaking for those who use transit there.  The (MTA) is gutting express bus service like no tomorrow and no one says anything, and the LIRR runs terribly and is purposely overpriced to keep people from riding it there.  That leaves people with the subways which have their own problems.  These articles are nice but what else is being done to help Queens get its fair share of transportation?

Illegal no. Odd yes. I'm also curious what exactly does the Queens Transit Committee do because quite frankly, Queens gets also crap service overall, and it seems like there is no one speaking for those who use transit there.  The (MTA) is gutting express bus service like no tomorrow and no one says anything, and the LIRR runs terribly and is purposely overpriced to keep people from riding it there.  That leaves people with the subways which have their own problems.  These articles are nice but what else is being done to help Queens get its fair share of transportation?

They do what they can and try their best. They are fighting for restoration of the Rockaway Beach branch and against SBS. They were also fighting to get the ferries. They are fighting to extend the LIRR freedom ticket. Unfortunately, they don't have the money and support that those behind Queensway have.

They have a Facebook group where you can learn more. Their first Vice President is currently runnng for City Council in Ozone Park/ Howard Beach.

I am sure they would welcome you as a member to fight for express buses and anyone else who wants to join. I can get you names and phone numbers if you don't use Facebook.

They do what they can and try their best. They are fighting for restoration of the Rockaway Beach branch and against SBS. They were also fighting to get the ferries. They are fighting to extend the LIRR freedom ticket. Unfortunately, they don't have the money and support that those behind Queensway have.

They have a Facebook group where you can learn more. Their first Vice President is currently runnng for City Council in Ozone Park/ Howard Beach.

I am sure they would welcome you as a member to fight for express buses and anyone else who wants to join. I can get you names and phone numbers if you don't use Facebook.

Well my question is why don't they have more support from the elected officials there? Seems like they all talk about getting Queens better service, but nothing happens.  Meanwhile, other areas see their elected officials delivering.

Well my question is why don't they have more support from the elected officials there? Seems like they all talk about getting Queens better service, but nothing happens.  Meanwhile, other areas see their elected officials delivering.

They have received much support from Assemblyman Mike Miller who has showed up at numerous meetings. At one meeting where I spoke he came to the other side of a crowded room to shake my hand before I knew who he was. State Senator Addabbo has leant much support whom I met with several times. Also former Assemblyman Goldfeder who I also met with, current Assemblywoman Pheffer who is also supporting the QPTC. Also District Leader Lew Simon.

I think the problem is that elected officials are limited in what they can do when DOT refuses to listen to anyone and the entire City Council has been sold on SBS thinking it is a panacea and is the only thing that can be done to improve bus service. Anything you will recommend will be rejected by the MTA claiming it would cost more when the truth is there are many things they can do to make Operations more efficient as I pointed out in the article.

What type of improvements have elected officials been successful in getting in other neighborhoods other than a few studies which probably are more focused on making cuts, not improvements?

They have received much support from Assemblyman Mike Miller who has showed up at numerous meetings. At one meeting where I spoke he came to the other side of a crowded room to shake my hand before I knew who he was. State Senator Addabbo has leant much support whom I met with several times. Also former Assemblyman Goldfeder who I also met with, current Assemblywoman Pheffer who is also supporting the QPTC. Also District Leader Lew Simon.

I think the problem is that elected officials are limited in what they can do when DOT refuses to listen to anyone and the entire City Council has been sold on SBS thinking it is a panacea and is the only thing that can be done to improve bus service. Anything you will recommend will be rejected by the MTA claiming it would cost more when the truth is there are many things they can do to make Operations more efficient as I pointed out in the article.

What type of improvements have elected officials been successful in getting in other neighborhoods other than a few studies which probably are more focused on making cuts, not improvements?

For starters, they can focus on service that has been LOST and get that back.  That would make a huge difference.  Queens is essentially under siege when it comes to bus service, with the (MTA) constantly looking to cut, and when they do, there isn't enough push back to stop them. Nice of them to shake your hand, but they need to go out and get more done aside from showing up to the events.  I personally don't think you're doing enough when it comes to Queens.  You've been focusing all of your attention on Woodhaven Blvd. Queens has a lot of other transit needs. Do some articles about lost service or some petition drives to get service back.  Just being honest.  This Woodhaven Blvd coverage is over the top.

For starters, they can focus on service that has been LOST and get that back.  That would make a huge difference.  Queens is essentially under siege when it comes to bus service, with the (MTA) constantly looking to cut, and when they do, there isn't enough push back to stop them. Nice of them to shake your hand, but they need to go out and get more done aside from showing up to the events.  I personally don't think you're doing enough when it comes to Queens.  You've been focusing all of your attention on Woodhaven Blvd. Queens has a lot of other transit needs. Do some articles about lost service or some petition drives to get service back.  Just being honest.  This Woodhaven Blvd coverage is over the top.

I am not familiar with the rest of Queens, so I don't say much. Whereas I am somewhat familiar with most all Brooklyn routes, I only know where about a dozen Queens routes go without looking at a map.

I am not familiar with the rest of Queens, so I don't say much. Whereas I am somewhat familiar with most all Brooklyn routes, I only know where about a dozen Queens routes go without looking at a map.

lol... Well you know what you have to do... Queens is big and quite frankly its bus network is just as important as say Staten Island, and yet there seems to be no cohesion in how things run save a few routes. I really would like to see you focus more on the express bus service there because considering how far out some residents are they really have very limited service. I live in a similar area and yet I have access to serve most of the day every 15 minutes, while most of Queens is lucky to get a bus every hour to Manhattan.  Not only that but the buses end much earlier.  The (MTA) clearly tailors the service towards the LIRR, but that generally runs poorly too, forcing people to drive.  You should shine some light on why they've continued to cut bus service and get elected officials to push for more restorations.  This Woodhaven Blvd situation is just an example of a much bigger issue in Queens.

lol... Well you know what you have to do... Queens is big and quite frankly its bus network is just as important as say Staten Island, and yet there seems to be no cohesion in how things run save a few routes. I really would like to see you focus more on the express bus service there because considering how far out some residents are they really have very limited service.  Not only that but the buses end early.  The (MTA) clearly tailors the service towards the LIRR, but that generally runs poorly too, forcing people to drive.

Sorry, but as long as no one is paying me, there is nothing "I have to do." Its up to the people who live in Queens to fight for themselves. I only got involved because of the SBS fiasco on Woodhaven and it bothered me how nothing made sense with all of DOT's and the MTA's double talk like when they told me to speak to their "bus expert" who didn't know what the B15 was and didn't even bring a map with him to the meeting.

I forgot to mention before that Addabbo has penned numerous editorials for public transit in addition to showing up at events and Goldfeder was responsible for securing funds for the MTA to study reactivation of the Rockaway Beach Line, although I doubt their study will be objective, but will only find reasons why it shouldn't be done.

Sorry, but as long as no one is paying me, there is nothing "I have to do." Its up to the people who live in Queens to fight for themselves. I only got involved because of the SBS fiasco on Woodhaven and it bothered me how nothing made sense with all of DOT's and the MTA's double talk like when they told me to speak to their "bus expert" who didn't know what the B15 was and didn't even bring a map with him to the meeting.

I forgot to mention before that Addabbo has penned numerous editorials for public transit in addition to showing up at events and Goldfeder was responsible for securing funds for the MTA to study reactivation of the Rockaway Beach Line, although I doubt their study will be objective, but will only find reasons why it shouldn't be done.

You're telling me you're representing Queens on transit issues and you don't think you should learn more about the problems plauging the borough overall? Paid or not, it's almost pointless to bother if you're not going to become more versed with the issues. I mean the Woodhaven Blvd project won't last forever. lol

You're telling me you're representing Queens on transit issues and you don't think you should learn more about the problems plauging the borough overall? Paid or not, it's almost pointless to bother if you're not going to become more versed with the issues. I mean the Woodhaven Blvd project won't last forever. lol

Who said I am representing Queens? I wasn't elected to anything, nor am I running for any office or intend to. I am a contributing member of the Queens Publc Transit Commitee and that's what I do. I contribute on subjects I have knowledge about. The Woodhaven Blvd project won't last forever and neither will you or I.

Anyone in support of Queens Rail should sign the petition.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/queensrail-better-transportation-for-queens

Who said I am representing Queens? I wasn't elected to anything, nor am I running for any office or intend to. I am a contributing member of the Queens Publc Transit Commitee and that's what I do. I contribute on subjects I have knowledge about. The Woodhaven Blvd project won't last forever and neither will you or I.

Anyone in support of Queens Rail should sign the petition.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/queensrail-better-transportation-for-queens

l have to ask why then? On the one hand, you say you aren't that knowledgeable on transit in Queens. On the other, you're on a Public Transit Committee for Queens. As a former planner, I would think you would go out and examine the big picture for Queens, especially buses, which is what they need most... A comprehensive bus network. The LIRR and ferry service could compliment that network.

l have to ask why then? On the one hand, you say you aren't that knowledgeable on transit in Queens. On the other, you're on a Public Transit Committee for Queens. As a former planner, I would think you would go out and examine the big picture for Queens, especially buses, which is what they need most... A comprehensive bus network. The LIRR and ferry service could compliment that network.

Why what? Why do I contribute or why should someone sign the petition?

I contribute because it is much appreciated and it educates people. I know the big picture for Queens. Too many local bus routes are geared to Flushing and Jamaica with too few north south routes in Eastern Queens with most non-subway trips requiring three buses, not two or one. That's why there needs to be a change in the fare structure which I have written about extensively. I can sketch a basic network but don't have the knowledge to do the details. I have friends who could help me, but that would require major effort if a very low chance of any reward since the MTA has no interest in improving the bus network anywhere. Their goal is to operate as few bus miles as is politically feasible. They welcome dollar vans and Uber because it means they can provide less service, though they will never admit that. Publucly, they oppose dollar vans which need to be leagalized and regulated with scheduled routes that do not compete with MTA service.

I can't even get any changes in Brooklyn accomplished where I have a much greater knowledge. The MTA planners won't even respond to any questions or suggestions. I can tell you more privately. Just ask.

I actually have to agree with this article 100%. A few changes do need to be made to the structure of this route and the restricted parking could be a major help.

I do agree that at this point the MTA wants to focus more on Dollar/passenger-miles, but there are quite a few people that want to make some changes at this point. Right now we have a president of the Entire DOB and RTO who started off as a bus operator many years ago. This is an unpresidented moment in time. His goal IS actually to improve service even if no one before him made it a priority.

He may only be the interim President effective for less than 6 months now, but I am personally advocating for him to stay on. He has what it takes to make the change. All of your arguments are valid and he's the only one who has been in the driver seat of an RTS. He just has an uphill battle now because he is also in charge of Department of Subways also.

You are right! MTA does not care about improving bus service, but he does! I am personally going to petition the Governor and request that he appoint Daryl Irick as permanent president. He is the reason MTA told MTS they were interested in the RTS low floor and approved a test program even though MTA was not able to meet the terms, and he is also a driving force in MTA beginning to work with New Flyer again. For the record, hen I posted nearly 7 years ago that the MTA and NFI reached an agreement to resurrect the long dead C40LF, he is the one that was a driving force in that. He helped end a feud that allows us to now have Xcelsior products, wifi, GPS, USB charges and more. He's not "Business as usual." He started out as a rookie in Kingsbridge in 1986, and his father was an operator as well.

When I posted NYC was getting a bus that had been discontinued, it was the first time that I had MTA management, veteran employees, and in-the-know people telling me I was incorrect. Telling me my information was wrong and only wanted to seem important by starting the most controversial post in transit history. The C40LF was definitively discontinued at the time. I could not provide a source because the moment I did my information would be cut off. I was in a lose-lose situation. Then 14 months after my post, 230 shows up......

All I'm saying is have faith that things may actually change, and some sources just can't be posted until it's made public. I almost ended my entire career just because I missed a section in my briefing saying DO NOT POST until next Friday... I posted the Friday before mistakenly just because I was trying to prove my information was correct. BIG MISTAKE!

I posted that NYC was getting C40LF's and sparked the biggest war ever. Even New Flyer and SEPTA contacted NYCTF and said your staff member posted something we were not notified of. We did not get that contract. Harry almost shit on himself, likely wanted to fire me on the spot for ruining the rep of his forum, and directed New Flyer management to my door step.

All I'm saying Brooklyn Bus is that if you don't want to trust anyone, trust me. I will go down as the only person in the history of the transit who accidentally posted about a manufacturer getting an order they were convinced they lost to Orion. I'm not perfect, can be wrong and have been in the past. But it's very rare. Trust me when I say the updated numbers will show a whole different picture. MTA's method of stat teaching is antiquated.

MTA had to issue an emergency statement of the pending board action to tell New Flyer it was in fact true, the Xcelsior would NOT be approved, but if they resurrected the C40LF they could talk about the future.

So to sum everything up, the numbers that you all read in the public about the MTA don't always match up.... There is a lot more I would like to add to this conversation, but I can't....

You are correct.... Many times MTA will not respond to comments, but it's all about how you present your case. Don't give up just because you feel a certain type of way.

For years and years and years I was tired of seeing millions of discarded Metrocards all over platforms and streets. Dante, AKA ENY came up with an idea that if you charge people $1 for new cards, while at the same time making all regular cards reloadable, and add in provisions for Unimited and Express rides simultaneously, you can boost operating revenue, while reducing litter AND recycling at the same time.....

Do you all see anything on the ground now other that 1 and 2 trip cards?

If you do, don't you pick it up to see what's on it???

I did not give up on that for anything and now look...... All I'm saying Brooklyn Bus is that if you are truly passionate about what you speak of, do something about it......

Environmentalists love me, and ppl who have to pay $1 now hate me.... Oh well... it was a change for the better and no one can deny that my plan was not a complete success...... Many of you all never knew that because I've never been one to boast or brag. But for the record now in June 2017, I was the one secretly pushing The New Metrocard Agenda, and advocating for the new SmartCard, which I will have some updates on later this year.

For years and years and years I was tired of seeing millions of discarded Metrocards all over platforms and streets. Dante, AKA ENY came up with an idea that if you charge people $1 for new cards, while at the same time making all regular cards reloadable, and add in provisions for Unimited and Express rides simultaneously, you can boost operating revenue, while reducing litter AND recycling at the same time.....

Do you all see anything on the ground now other that 1 and 2 trip cards? Sometimes

If you do, don't you pick it up to see what's on it???  Yes and most of the times they're expired!!!

I did not give up on that for anything and now look...... All I'm saying Brooklyn Bus is that if you are truly passionate about what you speak of, do something about it......

Environmentalists love me, and ppl who have to pay $1 now hate me.... Oh well... it was a change for the better and no one can deny that my plan was not a complete success...... Many of you all never knew that because I've never been one to boast or brag. But for the record now in June 2017, I was the one secretly pushing The New Metrocard Agenda, and advocating for the new SmartCard, which I will have some updates on later this year.

Well then I guess I learned something new today but besides the hate... the stations are cleaner and the Metrocards definitely needs to be replaced...tap and go needs to implement asap it would speed up everybody's commute(for those who use it). 

Turns Out we the riding public don't know a lot about the background players that are constantly suggesting and discussing ways to improve the system, we take for granted sometimes...It's good to know they're still around with all the chaos in the world right now, thx. Continue the good fight we need them SmartCards in NYC!

I actually have to agree with this article 100%. A few changes do need to be made to the structure of this route and the restricted parking could be a major help.

I do agree that at this point the MTA wants to focus more on Dollar/passenger-miles, but there are quite a few people that want to make some changes at this point. Right now we have a president of the Entire DOB and RTO who started off as a bus operator many years ago. This is an unpresidented moment in time. His goal IS actually to improve service even if no one before him made it a priority.

He may only be the interim President effective for less than 6 months now, but I am personally advocating for him to stay on. He has what it takes to make the change. All of your arguments are valid and he's the only one who has been in the driver seat of an RTS. He just has an uphill battle now because he is also in charge of Department of Subways also.

You are right! MTA does not care about improving bus service, but he does! I am personally going to petition the Governor and request that he appoint Daryl Irick as permanent president. He is the reason MTA told MTS they were interested in the RTS low floor and approved a test program even though MTA was not able to meet the terms, and he is also a driving force in MTA beginning to work with New Flyer again. For the record, hen I posted nearly 7 years ago that the MTA and NFI reached an agreement to resurrect the long dead C40LF, he is the one that was a driving force in that. He helped end a feud that allows us to now have Xcelsior products, wifi, GPS, USB charges and more. He's not "Business as usual." He started out as a rookie in Kingsbridge in 1986, and his father was an operator as well.

When I posted NYC was getting a bus that had been discontinued, it was the first time that I had MTA management, veteran employees, and in-the-know people telling me I was incorrect. Telling me my information was wrong and only wanted to seem important by starting the most controversial post in transit history. The C40LF was definitively discontinued at the time. I could not provide a source because the moment I did my information would be cut off. I was in a lose-lose situation. Then 14 months after my post, 230 shows up......

All I'm saying is have faith that things may actually change, and some sources just can't be posted until it's made public. I almost ended my entire career just because I missed a section in my briefing saying DO NOT POST until next Friday... I posted the Friday before mistakenly just because I was trying to prove my information was correct. BIG MISTAKE!

I posted that NYC was getting C40LF's and sparked the biggest war ever. Even New Flyer and SEPTA contacted NYCTF and said your staff member posted something we were not notified of. We did not get that contract. Harry almost shit on himself, likely wanted to fire me on the spot for ruining the rep of his forum, and directed New Flyer management to my door step.

All I'm saying Brooklyn Bus is that if you don't want to trust anyone, trust me. I will go down as the only person in the history of the transit who accidentally posted about a manufacturer getting an order they were convinced they lost to Orion. I'm not perfect, can be wrong and have been in the past. But it's very rare. Trust me when I say the updated numbers will show a whole different picture. MTA's method of stat teaching is antiquated.

MTA had to issue an emergency statement of the pending board action to tell New Flyer it was in fact true, the Xcelsior would NOT be approved, but if they resurrected the C40LF they could talk about the future.

So to sum everything up, the numbers that you all read in the public about the MTA don't always match up.... There is a lot more I would like to add to this conversation, but I can't....

You are correct.... Many times MTA will not respond to comments, but it's all about how you present your case. Don't give up just because you feel a certain type of way.

Do you all see anything on the ground now other that 1 and 2 trip cards?

If you do, don't you pick it up to see what's on it???

Thanks for agreeing with the article.

Please check your personal messages. I sent you a message about another subject.

Archived