M1 Extension, Bx6 +SBS, Schedule Changes, Forest Hills Route Revisions

JubaionBx12+SBS

Looks like they gave up the idiotic Bowery plan. I still wish I could have a sign installed at Operations Planning that said RESTORE THE PRE-2010 M1, M5, and M6. It's hard to express how badly thought out the M1 cut, the M6 cut, the M5 extension, the M5 cut, the M55 creation, and the M1 extension have been. What a complete waste of time, effort, and probably money.

Looks like they gave up the idiotic Bowery plan. I still wish I could have a sign installed at Operations Planning that said RESTORE THE PRE-2010 M1, M5, and M6. It's hard to express how badly thought out the M1 cut, the M6 cut, the M5 extension, the M5 cut, the M55 creation, and the M1 extension have been. What a complete waste of time, effort, and probably money.

Probably? Yes, they've DEFINITELY wasted money with this crap.  This is one of the few things we both agree on.  M6 should be brought back and the M5 should run the old route.  

Probably? Yes, they've DEFINITELY wasted money with this crap.  This is one of the few things we both agree on.  M6 should be brought back and the M5 should run the old route.  

I've seen M5's three days this week near Columbus Circle, and each time they were basically carrying air. The M5 is a shell of its former self....

I've seen M5's three days this week near Columbus Circle, and each time they were basically carrying air. The M5 is a shell of its former self....

I've noticed the same thing. Problem is no one wants to transfer to the M55 to continue further, so they take other means. Can't blame them either.

The new Q23 layover would have to be in the right turn bay where cars turn from Union Turnpike (westbound) into the Shop & Stop parking deck. That sounds vulnerable to accidents. 

At least the current layover is on a small service road, away from the main traffic flow.

I've noticed the same thing. Problem is no one wants to transfer to the M55 to continue further, so they take other means. Can't blame them either.

Time is what they look at, not reliable service. You don't bring back what you couldn't even measure up. For one, the M6 duplicates the Broadway line, so the line was cut. The M1 only operated during peak hours south of 8th St, so that too was cut. For every 15 min service: 15 passengers per bus don't make the cut. Then they really hurt themselves by slowing down the M5. During peak hours, some trips on the M5 never returned back, forcing buses to go not in service until 9th St & 6th Ave, due to a sea of express buses on Broadway south of Worth St, so they created the M55, which has seen more service since then. The M1 will alleviate the buses used by the M55, with 2 bus routes, it actually saves money.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Time is what they look at, not reliable service. You don't bring back what you couldn't even measure up. For one, the M6 duplicates the Broadway line, so the line was cut. The M1 only operated during peak hours south of 8th St, so that too was cut. For every 15 min service: 15 passengers per bus don't make the cut. Then they really hurt themselves by slowing down the M5. During peak hours, some trips on the M5 never returned back, forcing buses to go not in service until 9th St & 6th Ave, due to a sea of express buses on Broadway south of Worth St, so they created the M55, which has seen more service since then. The M1 will alleviate the buses used by the M55, with 2 bus routes, it actually saves money.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Actually that was one of the reasons they cited for breaking up the M5... Reliable service.The M55 also duplicates the Broadway line, so that's a moot point.  If you think doing all of this has helped ridership, you're wrong.  The M5 carries air south of Columbus Circle, where as not that long ago it actually carried some folks.  The whole thing is a mess.  All of these extensions and changes. The M1 has crap service to begin with, so that line is the last one I would extend anywhere.

So the Mta finally realized having the cut from the M5 and then implementing the M55 was a bad idea and now are restoring M1 service like it was before well almost as it was.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

As long as they don't put the M6 back on 7th Avenue and on 23rd Street, I agree 100%. That's what eventually killed the line.

So, they took the M1 off Bowery and put it back on its former route as far south as Worth St. The Bx6 will be SBS and the Q23 will reverse course in Forest Hills...2 out of 3 ain't bad

I can't wait for the Bx6SBS. Sure, I'll have to walk a couple extra blocks to Prospect, but the times saved will be worth it.

The real benefit is when service on the (2) and (5) is changed to one direction going express. When the Manhattan-bound track is out, everyone crams on the Bx6 to head to 161 Street for the (D)(4). The delays from the crowding alone doubles trip time.

The new Q23 layover would have to be in the right turn bay where cars turn from Union Turnpike (westbound) into the Shop & Stop parking deck. That sounds vulnerable to accidents. 

At least the current layover is on a small service road, away from the main traffic flow.

i am still confused on where they are going to put the bus stop, unless the bus is going to impact traffic flow. There is a little dead end service road in front of the store, maybe the DOT or the stop n shop can expand it and make it into a regular layover lane. this is how it currently looks from google maps:

Capture.png

i am still confused on where they are going to put the bus stop, unless the bus is going to impact traffic flow. There is a little dead end service road in front of the store, maybe the DOT or the stop n shop can expand it and make it into a regular layover lane. this is how it currently looks from google maps:

Capture.png

I don't know why they don't just extend it a few blocks to Myrtle (using Union Tpk to loop around).

Nearly everywhere, when it comes to getting from southwest Queens tot he rest of Queens, something always stop short of certain connections 

(The Q23 here; Q55 stops short of Jamaica, Q18 stops short of Ridgewood, Q58 stops blocks away from the main intersection of Flushing; Q38 comes to Fresh Pond and then loops back to the same area the other half just came from; you have to take something else to get to the Q54 or Q56).

Archived