R188 with Full Length LED Side Sign

It seems that they are testing out new side signs to replace the original, deteriorating signs on the R142A/R188 fleet. Most of the converted R142A's signs are falling apart, so it's about time we saw them replace the signs entirely instead of slapping the LED circle/diamond fixture on top and calling it a day. 

It seems that they are testing out new side signs to replace the original, deteriorating signs on the R142A/R188 fleet. Most of the converted R142A's signs are falling apart, so it's about time we saw them replace the signs entirely instead of slapping the LED circle/diamond fixture on top and calling it a day. 

I still don't understand why they can't spell out "34 ST-HUDSON YARDS" when there is clearly enough room for it.

Also, why say "FLUSHING LOCAL" or "FLUSHING EXPRESS" when the train is heading away from Flushing? That confuses people like crazy, especially tourists ("Everything's going to Flushing. How do I get to Times Square?"). Better to leave out "Flushing" and stick with "LOCAL or "EXPRESS."

Also, why say "FLUSHING LOCAL" or "FLUSHING EXPRESS" when the train is heading away from Flushing? That confuses people like crazy, especially tourists ("Everything's going to Flushing. How do I get to Times Square?"). Better to leave out "Flushing" and stick with "LOCAL or "EXPRESS."

Same reason every 6 train displays "LEXINGTON AV LCL", it's the name of the line the 7 travels on. Of course the 7 is isolated, but if it ran on a different line as well as Flushing you'd see something else too.

Same reason every 6 train displays "LEXINGTON AV LCL", it's the name of the line the 7 travels on. Of course the 7 is isolated, but if it ran on a different line as well as Flushing you'd see something else too.

The name of the line isn't always relevant (or known) to most passengers.

The name of the line isn't always relevant (or known) to most passengers.

You'll have to ask someone who knows why, then. I suspect it's as much historical reasons as anything else, but there has to be an operational reason too.

I mean, if you know what the lines are, you'd know exactly where that train is going without ambiguity, but you're right in that most people are most familiar with the routes, so it doesn't really matter to the average straphanger with a few exceptions.

15776921113_331fa045a8_b.jpgNot nearly as bad as other trains I've seen, where basically the whole sign is yellow and nothing displays at all

Yeah and....? The same can be said about the R-46 LCD's, 142's,143's and 160's even may as well throw in the buses signage too. Electronics do glitch out or are frozen. I'm not sure if you remember plasma TV's in the early to mid 2000's but they didn't fall apart they malfunctioned because the tv being on a single channel or state for a long period of time which "burnt" the image.

The FIND systems the R-160's have are they considered "falling apart"?

Archived