Cashless Tolling at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

http://www.mta.info/news/2017/07/10/cashless-tolling-verrazano-narrows-bridge

July 10th, 2017

img_0277rotator_0.jpg?itok=1f6amanu

Shortly after Cashless Tolling went live at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in the early morning of July 8th, work began on dismantling the toll booths. Cashless Tolling and the subsequent removal of toll booths and islands will reduce congestion and improve travel for motorists, allowing for a smoother, quicker, and more continuous commute across the bridge.

Cashless Tolling is projected to save commuters up to 21 hours of drive time every year. It also reduces emissions and significantly decreases the amount of fuel burned by drivers, who will no longer have to stop and wait to pay tolls. This will onserve approximately one million gallons of fuel and save $2.3 million each year.

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge joins the RFK Bridge, Henry Hudson Bridge, Hugh L. Carey Tunnel, Queens Midtown Tunnel, and Rockaway Bridges (Cross Bay and Marine Parkway), where sensors and cameras suspended over the highway on structures known as "gantries" read E-ZPass tags and take license plate images, so vehicles no longer have to stop and pay the toll. The Throgs Neck Bridge will go cashless in September 2017 and the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge in October 2017.

Vehicles with E-ZPass tags are automatically charged, and vehicles without E-ZPass have their license plate recorded and a bill is mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. E-ZPass tags should always be mounted and never waved to ensure that the tag is properly read and that the driver’s attention is not diverted from crossing the facility safely.

img_0277rotator.jpg?itok=0PHMRdih
Cashless Tolling Gantries at the Verrazano
img_0280rotator.jpg?itok=A9EcQim7
Open Roadway Where Toll Booths Once Stood

It'll be slow until they remove the booth lanes,.

• 1 month later...

http://www.mta.info/news/2017/07/10/cashless-tolling-verrazano-narrows-bridge

It'll be slow until they remove the booth lanes,.

love the picture where there is an undercover cop labled "Open Roadway Where Toll Booths Once Stood". See the ticketers are making use of the extra space.

• 1 month later...

Do you have to slow down for the gantries?  I remember driving across the bridge earlier in the month and I remember seeing 25 MPH limit signs right as you come out from the lower deck.  I crossed again last Friday and some douche in a Chevy Silverado SS honked at me while we were passing through the gantry, then cut across two solid white lines to get around me.  The funny thing is, he became trapped by a few semis immediately after and just as I was approaching the Goethals, he came up behind me.

Archived