Railfanning, any areas to avoid for safety's sake?

duelingdragons

Dont try to railfan in Coney Island at night. Once, i was at stillwell avenue at around 12 midnight to take the train back to manhattan. The station was almost empty, but anyways, coney island is empty at night. So my advice is to not have a camera out, remember, the station is big, and you dont know what will happen.

I have to disagree with you, I've been at CI at night several times, and there is not always that many people, but there are plenty of cleaners , c/r's and t/o's walking around, plus it's a big terminal and it's lighted really good, I have no fear of taking my camera out.

Dude, you can get jumped at anytime at night without you noticing until you get hit. Aint gonna matter how many people are around. If youre getting mugged for your camera,TA personnel might radio the police, but by the time the police get there, the mugger is gone, and so as your camera. Some people might just stare, or run, they aint gonna try to fight the mugger, especially if he has a gun. He might shoot. You try to fight him back, you might fail if he is bigger and stronger than you.

wat abt newark?
The only part of Newark I would recommend is downtown Newark. For other parts of Newark, I would recommend going with a big group of people or so.

The last three stops heading towards Grove Street on the Newark Light Rail line are not that bad. If you want, you could just ride on one train all the way up and come back down to Newark Penn Station on the same train. I've done that several times if I just wanted to ride around NLR.

Dude, you can get jumped at anytime at night without you noticing until you get hit. Aint gonna matter how many people are around. If youre getting mugged for your camera,TA personnel might radio the police, but by the time the police get there, the mugger is gone, and so as your camera. Some people might just stare, or run, they aint gonna try to fight the mugger, especially if he has a gun. He might shoot. You try to fight him back, you might fail if he is bigger and stronger than you.

Welcome to a city.

Archived