LIRR yard by Hunterspoint Av on the 7

Deucey

I think the M7 (the newer car) is getting PTC installed there.

The M3 is getting canalized for parts.

you mean "cannibalized?"

Given the tight lips, budget, and the fact they purchased hand me down diesels from Toronto for the upcoming (L) shutdown, I hope they gut the hecc out of those steel rejects.

Eric Shields | MassTransitHonchkrow

Proud EasyPay Express Unlimited Customer - PPR mode

Level 5 Google Local Guide for Southern NY State

Check out my photography, DeskThemePacks and more -

https://masstransithonchkrow.deviantart.com/gallery

Sent from my HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk using Remix OS

I feel foolish as when I asked what SAS (Second Ave Subway) meant, but what does PTC mean? Is it related to TSP?

There are a few trains that originate out of long island city (M7's) so that's probably what you saw. PTC is being installed in hillside.

Two were on the north track at the platform - had artistic graffiti a la the subway in the 70s and 80s, so I figured it was old, but it didn't look like the Budd Metropolitans. The others on the south track looked like the current fleet but had windows boarded up with plywood, so I wasn't sure if it was an older model or was a current model that had a fire or some other incident that led to being out of service.

Two were on the north track at the platform - had artistic graffiti a la the subway in the 70s and 80s, so I figured it was old, but it didn't look like the Budd Metropolitans. The others on the south track looked like the current fleet but had windows boarded up with plywood, so I wasn't sure if it was an older model or was a current model that had a fire or some other incident that led to being out of service.

I'm 99% sure those are M1's.  As far as the others, not sure.  Haven't been there in a while.  

I think those M1/M3s are going to be scrapped. As for the newer one, IDK.

Oh yeah, every time I pass by hunter's point Avenue on the (7)<7> I ALWAYS see this M1/M3 just sitting there. Now if you ask m, it looks like it's been sitting there for years, I remember seeing it there when I was like 2 years old or something

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Those cars are M3s. They were in some sort of fire I believe and have been sitting there ever since (it's been 5+ years I think), awaiting disposition.

Any M7s you see there are having PTC work done. I actually believe MNR is sending theirs to Arch st too.

you mean "cannibalized?"

Given the tight lips, budget, and the fact they purchased hand me down diesels from Toronto for the upcoming (L) shutdown, I hope they gut the hecc out of those steel rejects.

Rumored to purchase. That's a slight but important difference. In any event, the Toronto diesels make sense because they are same model as our earliest hybrids. Parts commonality brings down the cost of operations. They are also several years younger than our RTS, so they could conceivably retire the RTS before their replacements arrive, after the shuttle operation. 

But that's if they go through with it.

I feel foolish as when I asked what SAS (Second Ave Subway) meant, but what does PTC mean? Is it related to TSP?

PTC is Positive Train Control. Its kind of an advanced version of ATC (Automatic Train Control) and ACSES (Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System) 

You can read all about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_train_control

PTC is Positive Train Control. Its kind of an advanced version of ATC (Automatic Train Control) and ACSES (Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System)

You can read all about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_train_control

Like with PATH trains and the recent upgrades to their Sixth avenue line. Got it.

I just guffawed on what CPW (Central Park West) meant. I call it all 8th Avenue. It should be noted Frederick Douglass Boulevard IS 8th Avenue.

Rumored to purchase. That's a slight but important difference. In any event, the Toronto diesels make sense because they are same model as our earliest hybrids. Parts commonality brings down the cost of operations. They are also several years younger than our RTS, so they could conceivably retire the RTS before their replacements arrive, after the shuttle operation.

The Orion's, I presume. Four Bee-Line buses in the 200 set still use them. They seem quite hardy. They're also used by a few NICE and even TOR routes, although they've got shiny new buses coming in to replace them.

Those cars are M3s. They were in some sort of fire I believe and have been sitting there ever since (it's been 5+ years I think), awaiting disposition.

Any M7s you see there are having PTC work done. I actually believe MNR is sending theirs to Arch st too.

Why does it take so many years to decide whether to rebuild or scrap, and/or finish rebuilding?

Archived