Rockaway Beach Branch

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

To those arguing the merits about express and locals on the qb line with the rbb it should include converting woodhaven to express to relieve Roosevelt 

Hold up, wasn't this discussed in this thread earlier??? 

Like around pages 3 - 7 or so?

I still support RBB reactivation- but it SHOULD NOT be a number 1 priority. Like others have pointed out- there are many other neighborhoods without transit access. 

And also, the Queensway clowns should not be allowed to convert it to a park. They should lose and go home and cry. 

These are extensions that should get higher priority over RBB:

Full length SAS from Broadway-125 St to Hanover Square, with branches to the Bronx, Brooklyn, and even a connection to the Nassau St Line.

The line will be 4-tracked between 55 St and Grand St. I would include express tracks north of 55 St BENEATH the existing ones- but I don't think it is that important compared to other projects. 

3 Av SAS Branch

Arguably dense area that needs subway access. This line would replace the old EL.

Queens Bypass to 71 Av

This is arguably more needed as it will relieve QB, which is notoriously congested. It will also allow a faster commute for eastern Jamaica riders. 

10 Av-Northern Blvd Line

This line would serve the Far West Side and creates a crosstown route into Queens as an extension of the (L) . It would greatly syphon riders off of the (7) and provide subway access to those in the underserved communities of Jackson Heights, Whitestone, and College Point, all of which are more dense than the neighborhoods in which RBB runs thru. 

Utica Av Line

This part of Bklyn is very dense, moreso than RBB. The B46 SBS is often CRUSH-LOADED as a result. Bringing the (3) down there will be more beneficial to the neighborhood. 

Nostrand Av Extension

This extension would eliminate the inefficient terminal setup at Flatbush and better serve SE Brooklyn. This may relieve crowds off of the (Q) as a result. 

Hillside Extension of the (F) 

This would serve a dense area in a large transit desert which experience some of the longest commutes in the nation. This will greatly reduce the need for the lots of buses running down Hillside. At Springfield the line will curve down Braddock Av to Little Neck Pkwy.  

Laurelton (E) Extension

SE Queens is very dense and doesn't have a direct one-seat ride to Manhattan considering all LIRR service only goes to Atlantic Terminal. This (E) would be a boon for residents living there and allows LIRR service to be shifted to St. Albans. 

Triboro RX

A very important crosstown route that reduces the need to take slow buses or backtrack on subways. It also provides transit access in East Flatbush and Canarsie. 

Long Island Expwy Branch 

A huge transit desert in NE Queens that experiences long commutes to Manhattan, which is mix of low/medium density housing. I would first do it as an extension of the (R)

Throgs Neck branch of SAS

This SLIGHTLY beats RBB as a priority. Throgs Neck is miles from the (6) and solely relies on buses. This line would serve it, along with serving Hunts Point and Soundview. 

So to sum it up, RBB should not be as a high priority, but still be built. I would say RBB should be in a mid or long term expansion plan. Just very low on a mid term plan and very high for the long term. 

Edited by D to 96 St

So back in Sacramento, there's a section of Interstate 5 called "The Boat" that separates Downtown Sacramento from the Riverfront/Old Sacramento. (If it made the news out here, this is the section that flooded a few years ago and needed to be closed for drainage repair since it's built as an open cut below the watertable.) There was a plan to convert this into a "tunnel" by building a roof over it - high enough not to impede traffic on the freeway but low enough to accommodate grass and plants and some stores to create a park and physical connection by hiding the freeway.

I bring this up because since RBB is an elevated structure, it shouldn't be terribly expensive to sink the tracks below street level and build a park on top of it.

But I don't think the people shouting for a park there represent a significant percentage of the population along the corridor.

3 hours ago, D to 96 St said:

I still support RBB reactivation- but it SHOULD NOT be a number 1 priority. Like others have pointed out- there are many other neighborhoods without transit access. 

And also, the Queensway clowns should not be allowed to convert it to a park. They should lose and go home and cry. 

These are extensions that should get higher priority over RBB:

Full length SAS from Broadway-125 St to Hanover Square, with branches to the Bronx, Brooklyn, and even a connection to the Nassau St Line.

The line will be 4-tracked between 55 St and Grand St. I would include express tracks north of 55 St BENEATH the existing ones- but I don't think it is that important compared to other projects. 

3 Av SAS Branch

Arguably dense area that needs subway access. This line would replace the old EL.

Queens Bypass to 71 Av

This is arguably more needed as it will relieve QB, which is notoriously congested. It will also allow a faster commute for eastern Jamaica riders. 

10 Av-Northern Blvd Line

This line would serve the Far West Side and creates a crosstown route into Queens as an extension of the (L) . It would greatly syphon riders off of the (7) and provide subway access to those in the underserved communities of Jackson Heights, Whitestone, and College Point, all of which are more dense than the neighborhoods in which RBB runs thru. 

Utica Av Line

This part of Bklyn is very dense, moreso than RBB. The B46 SBS is often CRUSH-LOADED as a result. Bringing the (3) down there will be more beneficial to the neighborhood. 

Nostrand Av Extension

This extension would eliminate the inefficient terminal setup at Flatbush and better serve SE Brooklyn. This may relieve crowds off of the (Q) as a result. 

Hillside Extension of the (F) 

This would serve a dense area in a large transit desert which experience some of the longest commutes in the nation. This will greatly reduce the need for the lots of buses running down Hillside. At Springfield the line will curve down Braddock Av to Little Neck Pkwy.  

Laurelton (E) Extension

SE Queens is very dense and doesn't have a direct one-seat ride to Manhattan considering all LIRR service only goes to Atlantic Terminal. This (E) would be a boon for residents living there and allows LIRR service to be shifted to St. Albans. 

Triboro RX

A very important crosstown route that reduces the need to take slow buses or backtrack on subways. It also provides transit access in East Flatbush and Canarsie. 

Long Island Expwy Branch 

A huge transit desert in NE Queens that experiences long commutes to Manhattan, which is mix of low/medium density housing. I would first do it as an extension of the (R)

Throgs Neck branch of SAS

This SLIGHTLY beats RBB as a priority. Throgs Neck is miles from the (6) and solely relies on buses. This line would serve it, along with serving Hunts Point and Soundview. 

So to sum it up, RBB should not be as a high priority, but still be built. I would say RBB should be in a mid or long term expansion plan. Just very low on a mid term plan and very high for the long term. 

Are we factoring cost into the equation? All of these would be useful indeed. Beside's the SAS which has to get done. The RBB and RX seem to be the lowest hanging fruit that $1.2 Billion a mile price tag with the SAS could go along way on existing right of ways  that might cover half the RBB minus tunnel portal and ramp-downs. (E)  To Rosedale as well maximum impact for the lowest cost, anything with existing infrastructure should be looked at. Did they do a EIS for the RBB yet? I'm late to the convo.. but could a CBTC Queens Blvd handle the extra trains?

Edited by RailRunRob

9 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

There is a study aupposedly due out then the mayor says he will decide on what to do with his master's pet project

Be interesting to see saved time especially local Queens trips.  Jamaica, Flushing to Rockaways, the Peninsula seems to be seeing growth and development, especially on the eastern end.. Woodhaven corridor to Midtown as well. 

32 minutes ago, ioas said:

Dude. The peninsula has literally no population. Saying that it has grown is great, but you have to look at it relative to other areas of the city. The woodhaven corridor has the (A)(J)(Z) in the south, and parks in the north. Not worth it. Use the money elsewhere, like my (L) extension to Montreal (teeheehee) 

What's no population? 130,000 people ? With redevelopment and a growing City are you looking at now or 40-50 years from now? Wouldnt better access make it more attractive? 

For someone trolling so hard on other threads, hes actually got a point. The Rockaways have a population of 115,000 -- not much by NYC standards. What's more, they already have an express subway line (whose speeds could be upped significantly with some detiming) that covers it. If you want to improve that, great, extend the (C) to lefferts, and double service to the rocks, but don't waste a cool 3 bil on a line that a. fails to eliminate any transit desert of note, b. provides no particularly useful service to areas it does serve, and c. will result in more crowding on existing routes. 

What's more, given the rockaways being so so so so very prone to flood damage, if I were a NYC planner, I'd be doing all I could to make them less attractive. Climate change is real (I know, wow!).

46 minutes ago, RR503 said:

For someone trolling so hard on other threads, hes actually got a point. The Rockaways have a population of 115,000 -- not much by NYC standards. What's more, they already have an express subway line (whose speeds could be upped significantly with some detiming) that covers it. If you want to improve that, great, extend the (C) to lefferts, and double service to the rocks, but don't waste a cool 3 bil on a line that a. fails to eliminate any transit desert of note, b. provides no particularly useful service to areas it does serve, and c. will result in more crowding on existing routes. 

What's more, given the rockaways being so so so so very prone to flood damage, if I were a NYC planner, I'd be doing all I could to make them less attractive. Climate change is real (I know, wow!).

Point taken with it being in a flood zone. Don't think they're thinking that far ahead.. didn't they rezone Far Rockaway a few years ago? When last in that neck of the woods I saw quite abit of development going on. 

2 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Point taken with it being in a flood zone. Don't think they're thinking that far ahead.. didn't they rezone Far Rockaway a few years ago? When last in that neck of the woods I saw quite abit of development going on. 

I almost moved to Arverne when I got here in 2013 because everything was so cheap out there because of Sandy. The only issues for me were the (A) commute to Manhattan and having to choose between the tolls or driving into Nassau to avoid them.

Now with the rebuilding and hipster and Gen Y money desiring beach houses, it’s gone up but I could go there instead of staying on SI since my work and social life is in Brooklyn.

26 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I almost moved to Arverne when I got here in 2013 because everything was so cheap out there because of Sandy. The only issues for me were the (A) commute to Manhattan and having to choose between the tolls or driving into Nassau to avoid them.

Now with the rebuilding and hipster and Gen Y money desiring beach houses, it’s gone up but I could go there instead of staying on SI since my work and social life is in Brooklyn.

I mean that was my line of thinking more people moving into NYC they have to go somewhere. Every strip of land around transportation is going to be of value within the next 50-60 years. Maybe they'll get some 20-foot dunes along the waterfront out there. I was in Miami for a day last week for a Art show Crane after Crane whatever there planing down there coastal NYC needs in on it.

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Speaking of the Rockaways, I found out from a source that Long Island power isn't feeding the correct voltage to the 3rd rail along the Rockaway line which is why R160's keep frying out there.

You mean dropping voltage?.. Couldn't they use some BPS system to prevent the Voltage from dropping?

After all this RBB vs. Queensway talk I'd like to mention several flaws with the STUPID QUEENSWAY. 

The thing is, converting the ROW to park, would be more difficult than converting it to train service. The ROW is literally rotting to pieces, of course. But there could be potential infestations of rats, moles, ants, skunks, and more squatting along the ROW. So these clowns would have a rat-infested park. 

In comparison, the High Line was only in disrepair for a short time, until conversion. It has been taken care of YEAR BY YEAR. The RBB, wasn't even maintained since when? Renovation into subway would cost a lot less since the MTA renovated stations and ENTIRE LINES. 

After the Lower Montauk, the line is torn up by a parking garage until Forest Park. That section of property would have to be taken by both rail AND park. 

The area in which the Queensway runs through could potentially have very high crime rates. As a result, there could be misconduct, vandalism, and even shootings in the park. All of this will slowly cause the park to rot. And these clowns can't renovate it forever because 1) they're only low-middle classes, 2) not much attention would even be directed toward the park. 

The RBB is at-grade, whereas the High Line is ELEVATED. A lot of trees have grown along the RBB, but the High Line has no trees. This means that cutting the trees down would take a lot of time, which is costly.

These hipsters claim there are schools near the ROW and could be harmful to students. But seriously, they are barely any near the ROW, and there are a lot near ACTIVE EL'S! 

So if you take all of this into account, the QUEENSWAY won't last that long as a park. Since crime would be often, vandalism will also be common. Rats would be lurking around as well. This will cause the grass to fade away, and the park to deteriorate. These clowns would eventually run out of funding to keep renovating their petty project. Then all of a sudden, the park would smell like the devil's vulgar. People would begin to leave the park as a result of no maintenance and a horrible smell. The clowns would then abandon the project, leaving it to rot...

...until a corrupt, counterfeit agency called the MTA would purchase the line and reactivate it for subway.

3 hours ago, D to 96 St said:

After all this RBB vs. Queensway talk I'd like to mention several flaws with the STUPID QUEENSWAY. 

The thing is, converting the ROW to park, would be more difficult than converting it to train service. The ROW is literally rotting to pieces, of course. But there could be potential infestations of rats, moles, ants, skunks, and more squatting along the ROW. So these clowns would have a rat-infested park. 

In comparison, the High Line was only in disrepair for a short time, until conversion. It has been taken care of YEAR BY YEAR. The RBB, wasn't even maintained since when? Renovation into subway would cost a lot less since the MTA renovated stations and ENTIRE LINES. 

After the Lower Montauk, the line is torn up by a parking garage until Forest Park. That section of property would have to be taken by both rail AND park. 

The area in which the Queensway runs through could potentially have very high crime rates. As a result, there could be misconduct, vandalism, and even shootings in the park. All of this will slowly cause the park to rot. And these clowns can't renovate it forever because 1) they're only low-middle classes, 2) not much attention would even be directed toward the park. 

The RBB is at-grade, whereas the High Line is ELEVATED. A lot of trees have grown along the RBB, but the High Line has no trees. This means that cutting the trees down would take a lot of time, which is costly.

These hipsters claim there are schools near the ROW and could be harmful to students. But seriously, they are barely any near the ROW, and there are a lot near ACTIVE EL'S! 

So if you take all of this into account, the QUEENSWAY won't last that long as a park. Since crime would be often, vandalism will also be common. Rats would be lurking around as well. This will cause the grass to fade away, and the park to deteriorate. These clowns would eventually run out of funding to keep renovating their petty project. Then all of a sudden, the park would smell like the devil's vulgar. People would begin to leave the park as a result of no maintenance and a horrible smell. The clowns would then abandon the project, leaving it to rot...

...until a corrupt, counterfeit agency called the MTA would purchase the line and reactivate it for subway.

And what this to me is really about:  Certain individuals in more affluent areas the RBB would be going through concerned in all likelihood about those "not their kind" coming into the area.  Many of these types either were victims of crime in the 1970's or are children of victims of crime then in particular. 

10 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

And what this to me is really about:  Certain individuals in more affluent areas the RBB would be going through concerned in all likelihood about those "not their kind" coming into the area.  Many of these types either were victims of crime in the 1970's or are children of victims of crime then in particular. 

Well, time can't wait for them besides it's likely that MORE people would want a Train as opposed to the park. Also @D to 96 St I fully agree with you. I want to urge the (MTA) to do this. I don't have much to say but rebuild the line and get this done and over with