Rockaway Beach Branch

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/31/2018 at 5:06 PM, Coney Island Av said:

The (C) to Lefferts on the other hand necessitates a merge S/B at Grant and N/B at Rockaway Blvd, whereas only the (R)(W) to Astoria has none. 

We can remove the Grant and Rockaway merge by rerouting the (R) to Fulton Local and ending it at Euclid. (C) will go to Fulton Express

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s71YkYKDQJFWN4MXc2Jy-J1IaMsU91R6&usp=sharing

For those who claim that RBB is wasted capacity, I thought about splitting the ROW south of Liberty in half. LIRR Trains in my proposal run straight to JFK without making any stops on the ROW. 

I can't see the map (or any map links posted today) -- could you take a screenshot?

Edit: From what I understand, you're basically using the RBB to get LIRR from the main to the airport. What a great way to waste 2 billion. Either you're gonna have people transferring at Howard Beach to the AirTrain, or you're gonna spend even more $$$ building a new regional rail station under the spaghetti bowl. If you wanna improve airport access, you can:

-increase off-peak Rockaway-bound (A) service. 

-improve signage/circulation at Jamaica

-resuscitate weekend (E) service by cutting the (R) to Queens Plaza, thus allowing (E) to run 7.5 tph instead of 5

Given the lack of commuter transportation in key areas of the city (Manhattan's East Side, Utica, 3rd Ave in the Bx, outer Queens) I really think spending money on airport links is not the way to go for now -- unless it can be incorporated into some generally beneficial plan, which this is not. 

Edited by RR503

13 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I can't see the map (or any map links posted today) -- could you take a screenshot?

6ImOyXf.png

You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

In this scenario, you take a LIRR train to terminal 5. If you're not going to Terminal 5, you transfer to the AirTrain to get to your terminal. Congratulations, you've spent billions of dollars so that 90% of people still take the AirTrain.

For those who claim that RBB is wasted capacity, I thought about splitting the ROW south of Liberty in half. LIRR Trains in my proposal run straight to JFK without making any stops on the ROW. 

It's still a waste of capacity; you're just wasting LIRR capacity instead of subway capacity.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s71YkYKDQJFWN4MXc2Jy-J1IaMsU91R6&usp=sharing

Light rail paralleling the Belt & SSP pkwys to Jamaica or Mineola to reduce congestion > LIRR to JFK

On 7/24/2018 at 12:19 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

You’d have to discontinue (A) service to the Rockaways to bring back the LIRR. Not like it matters, because they don’t want the Rockaway branches back anyway. Nothing’s really changed from the 1950s/early 1960s about that.

plus you will get the queensway crowd screaming SEE we told you etc

On 7/24/2018 at 12:19 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

You’d have to discontinue (A) service to the Rockaways to bring back the LIRR. Not like it matters, because they don’t want the Rockaway branches back anyway. Nothing’s really changed from the 1950s/early 1960s about that.

That's not what I proposed. I proposed splitting the ROW in half, meaning in a way for the (A) to use one half and the LIRR using the other half. 

8 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

plus you will get the queensway crowd screaming SEE we told you etc

I see your point.

8 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

That's not what I proposed. I proposed splitting the ROW in half, meaning in a way for the (A) to use one half and the LIRR using the other half. 

I see your point.

That will not be feasible  the cost will balloon

and i agree in their rebuttal they are screaming that they want to bring the LIRR back  etc

On 7/27/2018 at 2:09 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

What advantage would there be in splitting half the ROW for the (A) and the other half for the LIRR versus just having subway over the whole ROW? 

What I think they should do, is simply extend the 'free zone' of the Airtrain to the Howard Beach station, so that it replicates the one fare ride that used to exist when it was a bus making the connection.   

Whether they should do it at Jamaica also, is another matter, with its own pro's and con's.....

1 hour ago, traildriver said:

What I think they should do, is simply extend the 'free zone' of the Airtrain to the Howard Beach station, so that it replicates the one fare ride that used to exist when it was a bus making the connection.   

Whether they should do it at Jamaica also, is another matter, with its own pro's and con's.....

Who's going to pay the Port Authority? The MTA? Good luck selling that.

• 2 months later...

Thing is, it wouldn't be a one-seat ride to JFK Airport. Similar to the actual Train to the Plane, any trip to Howard Beach would require another leg to get to the terminals. We would just trade those buses for the present AirTrain. And even if we were to ignore the semantics of it all, using Rockaway Beach as an airport connector would be incredibly useless as we already have that. It's called the mainline to Jamaica, then change to the AirTrain.

As a standard subway or LIRR link, it might work, but there are a bunch of other issues with that, most of which have already been outlined in previous pages of this thread. Above all though, it needs those intermediate stops to be useful. Without them, this would be even more of a pointless endeavor than the proposal is already.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I think it's easier for everyone at this point to see the cracks in the wall this plan presents. It'll be costly, delayed, little planned and frankly seems more of a vanity project with how few it may benefit. I initially supported this plan but no longer do so, and with the delay continuing on, it seems to a rough road to get the portion back into service. I actually contacted an advocate for this plan in the Rockaway's (Stacy Pheffer Amato) and have currently received no email back. We'll have to wait and see...

57 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Ok is it me, or are the delays of studies involved for this ROW beginning to become sispicious?  

• 2 weeks later...

Um hello! you are impeding the way for a NORTH SOUTH TRANSIT LINK!

http://www.qchron.com/editions/queenswide/friends-trust-have-will-for-queensway/article_ce9130be-2c76-5c8e-9478-9aa25a59ce99.html?TNNoMobile

She added that the QueensWay project offers an obvious solution to these transportation issues through connecting subway stations. The Queensway website says commuters could save 15 to 20 minutes each way to destinations like Midtown and Downtown Brooklyn.

How does it help transit issues?! it's a park

Edited by BreeddekalbL

I found the information on the study in the Capital Program Dashboard.

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=l70904nj&PLTYPE=6

It is under the LIRR section–Usage as an LIRR Branch seems to be the preferred option.

It is listed under "Program Development" so it is hard to find.