MaBSTOA B/O Exam # 7105

Shinabee65

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, DrewMania said:

Yeah I pass on day 7 and achieved my CDL on my first trip. My advice to those is to listen to your supt. (instructors) they all teach different some come off different then others. Some can be direct straight to the point where it can seem harsh and others are more patient with you. From day 2 you’ll know what kind of person your dealing with. Just listen and hold on to everything you can. 

Scan them mirrors. That’s key to passing! They wanna know you seeing and forward planning like they are. If they pull the brake on you don’t feel away find out why take it in and learn from it. It’s a simple program but it can go by fast. So i say learn the person your working with ask questions. Your classmates are a big help as well because if something they do wrong you can learn from they mistakes and use it and visa versa. So communicate become coworkers and help out. Those who talk and cheer each other on all win.

My training class we all reach out and help one another with issues we was facing and we all pass day 7 so it can happen work together as well as do your thing. 

Another thing watch them bikers on day 6 lower manhattan they will and i mean will sneak up on you. 

Good luck to you all! I’m at Grand Av depot let me know when you come thru i’ll be one of the first to congratulate you! 

I have a question that I think other folks, whether guests or members are willing to ask:

When I was in college, primarily undergrad, I would use ratemyprofessor.com to try to "pick" a good Professor, especially for those "Gen Ed" classes when I had a little bit of leeway to take either this class or that class, etc. From what I remember 4 1/2 years ago, long story short, the instructor had a very nasty attitude. I don't know if it was because I had no experience driving a bus or whatever the reasoning is.

Therefore, @DrewMania, if a student has an instructor he/she doesn't like, what would you suggest? Try to absorb as much information as possible, especially on Day 5 and try to pass on Day 9?

4 hours ago, Elmonchi06 said:

Thank you. I will do that. They kept all my papel works and just gave me a papel with the things that I was missing and it has a phone number at the top of the papel with the number where I have to call them to make an app.

While I'm sorry to hear this, I'm not sure what makes this different from many of whom are here...completed the medical, a 2nd urine test (as the first one was clean but about to expire after 30 days) and was told they'd hear back within 30 days. All this since mid-october. Are ya'll recommending we ignore 'hiring freeze' and go and talk to Ms. Rivera?

24 minutes ago, Magnum said:

While I'm sorry to hear this, I'm not sure what makes this different from many of whom are here...completed the medical, a 2nd urine test (as the first one was clean but about to expire after 30 days) and was told they'd hear back within 30 days. All this since mid-october. Are ya'll recommending we ignore 'hiring freeze' and go and talk to Ms. Rivera?

Yes unless MTA personally told you it was a hiring freeze which i know not to be true because i just received letters from the agency telling me to come in for pre-employment. 

22 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Yeah, I think so. I don't know why they are doing that taking so many people and then keep them on hold. So, you look better than me because I'm not even do any medical yet and you are almost done. I hope they call you before the medical expire.

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

I have a question that I think other folks, whether guests or members are willing to ask:

When I was in college, primarily undergrad, I would use ratemyprofessor.com to try to "pick" a good Professor, especially for those "Gen Ed" classes when I had a little bit of leeway to take either this class or that class, etc. From what I remember 4 1/2 years ago, long story short, the instructor had a very nasty attitude. I don't know if it was because I had no experience driving a bus or whatever the reasoning is.

Therefore, @DrewMania, if a student has an instructor he/she doesn't like, what would you suggest? Try to absorb as much information as possible, especially on Day 5 and try to pass on Day 9?

My advice to be honest is to pull that person aside and tell them at the end of the day you trying to get a job and they trying to belittle you isn’t cool. You have to speak up for yourself. But also grasp that sometimes they trying to show you that a customer can be doing the same yelling at you but you have to remain cool under pressure and drive that bus safely. Don’t ever be afraid to approach that person. 

Trust after that training a customer could never phase me. I’ll just laugh and say i’ve been thru much worst. First time driving a bus and someone yell at you top of they lungs after hitting that brake on you sending you and your classmates flying lmao. You’ll never be phase by anything on that bus. Lmao. 

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

Me three. Keep in mind that 180 Livingston Street is where everybody gets processed, and, although I hate to admit this, I've heard that they have misplaced somebody else's paperwork before.

5 hours ago, +Young+ said:

@DrewMania wouldn't know about having a difficult instructor. Because his instructor was actually one of the best instructors ever lol.

Me on the other hand had an instructor that was just like that at first. I used to think she was sent from hell lol. Me and my classmates were all scared. She would literally yell at anything and everything wrong you did.

now that im in line training and in the real world. I understand why she was the way she was. Its because what she was teaching us was serious. And we had to get it right with her so when we go out in the real world, we wouldn't make the same mistake that would cause an accident or get someone killed. At the end of the day your driving around a 40 ton bus that if you don't operate correctly can be used as a weapon. Also keep in mind that if the instructor passes you and you go and  get into an accident and hurt someone. They will go looking for that instructor.

I really didn't like my instructor at the beginning, But at the end I started to like her and even started joking around with her.

From personally going through what you just described, what I would suggest is first, Listen, Not hear noises coming out the instructors mouth, But listen to everything they have to say. Listening and hearing are two different things.

Do everything exactly the way they tell you to do it. You have to go there with the mindset that you are learning driving from scratch. And that you will have to drive the way they are teaching you to drive.

I would say day 1-4, Absorb everything taught. Go home and read over all your notes every night. Days 5-6 try to get everything right, day 7 execute everything you learned. Try your best to qualify on day 7. What ever you do try to get it all before day 10. Because day 10 you will have 2 instructors with you on the bus and it will be 10x harder. Those yellow papers the instructor gives you at the end of each day, Read over them, The mistakes written on them, Correct them on the next day. Don't be discouraged when your instructor writes you a paragraph of wrong things you did that day. Use it to improve. I had almost a page of mistakes on mines, But everyday I improved, cleaned everything up and qualified on day 7.

The 10 day training felt more difficult then the actual road test to get the CDL. And I had previous experience driving a similar bus that the mta has.

So while its not easy, its also not impossible. listen, apply what you learn and you will have no problem making it through.

What ever happens with the instructor or what ever they say or yell. You can't take it personal and don't get intimidated. The moment you start taking it personal and let it get to you the harder it becomes. The 10 days fly by, So take it day by day, BREATH, Everything will be ok. Believe in yourself.

That would be my best advice from dealing with a tough instructor. But I hope everyone can get a good instructor :)

18 hours ago, Mr NewFlyer said:

@DrewMania wouldn't know about having a difficult instructor. Because his instructor was actually one of the best instructors ever lol.

Me on the other hand had an instructor that was just like that at first. I used to think she was sent from hell lol. Me and my classmates were all scared. She would literally yell at anything and everything wrong you did.

now that im in line training and in the real world. I understand why she was the way she was. Its because what she was teaching us was serious. And we had to get it right with her so when we go out in the real world, we wouldn't make the same mistake that would cause an accident or get someone killed. At the end of the day your driving around a 40 ton bus that if you don't operate correctly can be used as a weapon. Also keep in mind that if the instructor passes you and you go and  get into an accident and hurt someone. They will go looking for that instructor.

I really didn't like my instructor at the beginning, But at the end I started to like her and even started joking around with her.

From personally going through what you just described, what I would suggest is first, Listen, Not hear noises coming out the instructors mouth, But listen to everything they have to say. Listening and hearing are two different things.

Do everything exactly the way they tell you to do it. You have to go there with the mindset that you are learning driving from scratch. And that you will have to drive the way they are teaching you to drive.

I would say day 1-4, Absorb everything taught. Go home and read over all your notes every night. Days 5-6 try to get everything right, day 7 execute everything you learned. Try your best to qualify on day 7. What ever you do try to get it all before day 10. Because day 10 you will have 2 instructors with you on the bus and it will be 10x harder. Those yellow papers the instructor gives you at the end of each day, Read over them, The mistakes written on them, Correct them on the next day. Don't be discouraged when your instructor writes you a paragraph of wrong things you did that day. Use it to improve. I had almost a page of mistakes on mines, But everyday I improved, cleaned everything up and qualified on day 7.

The 10 day training felt more difficult then the actual road test to get the CDL. And I had previous experience driving a similar bus that the mta has.

So while its not easy, its also not impossible. listen, apply what you learn and you will have no problem making it through.

What ever happens with the instructor or what ever they say or yell. You can't take it personal and don't get intimidated. The moment you start taking it personal and let it get to you the harder it becomes. The 10 days fly by, So take it day by day, BREATH, Everything will be ok. Believe in yourself.

That would be my best advice from dealing with a tough instructor. But I hope everyone can get a good instructor :)

Yeah, @Mr NewFlyer is right my instructor was one of the cool ones! He made you feel comfortable to be in the seat. But because of his back ground in the service whenver you put the bus or someone else in harms way the man become different lmao. But after he yell on you he’ll pull you aside and express himself and a more claim way to get his point across. 

Now Mr newflyer instructor was a piece of work the stories is nothing wait until you see her in action lmao she was something but word has it that none of her students get into any issues after they pass her 7 to 10 day training. Even the one person she didn’t pass on day 7 is more comfortable behind the way today when he drives. Why because he learned you have to block all that out while remaining  in control of that bus. 

What we basically saying is everyone teaching styles is different some come out all reckless from jump others sneak up on you. Some will pull the brake on you and tell you get out the seat your done for today. You have to just have to take what info they preaching or yelling to you and run with it. 

Trust me you’ll do great! 

5 hours ago, Sb1914 said:

Has anyone called to verify if there was a freeze?

Have you tried calling. From the thread it was told that they are not hiring at the moment. Just dont understand why didnt they at least not call or send letter notifying us of such until further notice.

21 hours ago, Sb1914 said:

Has anyone called to verify if there was a freeze?

15 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

Have you tried calling. From the thread it was told that they are not hiring at the moment. Just dont understand why didnt they at least not call or send letter notifying us of such until further notice.

I have spoken to two Dispatchers and Road Operation Superintends regarding hiring freeze and  they all stated they need as much Operators on board before April 2019 due to the L train service shut down especially for Brooklyn and Manhattan Divisions. Even operators who are currently on the "Eligible" Promotion list to become dispatcher will be moving forward before April 2019. They stated that the system needs 400+ more operators.

Yesterday I saw a training bus near my home, so that tells you they're still hiring, just might be a delay for certain Titles division  (TA,OA, or MTA Bus).

On 11/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, DueceDrives said:

I have spoken to two Dispatchers and Road Operation Superintends regarding hiring freeze and  they all stated they need as much Operators on board before April 2019 due to the L train service shut down especially for Brooklyn and Manhattan Divisions. Even operators who are currently on the "Eligible" Promotion list to become dispatcher will be moving forward before April 2019. They stated that the system needs 400+ more operators.

Yesterday I saw a training bus near my home, so that tells you they're still hiring, just might be a delay for certain Titles division  (TA,OA, or MTA Bus).

Interesting.  But don't know what to expect expect wait and see. Maybe they will start back calling early next year.

10 hours ago, Gtv said:

Does anyone know what number they are working in now?

Unless its for pre-employment everything else is on shut down. And to be honest I don't even think they were calling people accordingly.  My number is 11** and was called for pre-employment since September.  Had I was ready I would have already in trained in the October 8th or 15th class they had. However, call their 800# and see what number they are up to.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone. So I see no one has posted in a while. So the people that did medicals back in october, have yall heard anything yet? Because I didnt, and I even tried calling but I always get the answering machine, my luck lol.

Edited by Sb1914

Update guys. So I finially got in contact with them, and reason for the delay is because they are waiting for more jobs from mabstoa. So just wait around Christmas and new years and follow up. So I recommend anyone, especially the ones that did medical, to follow up.

1 hour ago, Sb1914 said:

Update guys. So I finially got in contact with them, and reason for the delay is because they are waiting for more jobs from mabstoa. So just wait around Christmas and new years and follow up. So I recommend anyone, especially the ones that did medical, to follow up.

Okay. Thanks for the update. So what, they planning on firing people besides thought who are retiring before they have jobs. Why even have an exam if they only need a few drivers. Crazy

Good morning everyone,

I got a voicemail this morning saying to report to Livingston on the 21st for OA. I did both medicals already, but I’m assuming they expired so I may have to retake them. I hope that I don’t even have to do that & they just take my ID photo & give me a start date.. but hopefully this is a good sign that they’ll be hiring again 😁

2 hours ago, nycdrew said:

Good morning everyone,

I got a voicemail this morning saying to report to Livingston on the 21st for OA. I did both medicals already, but I’m assuming they expired so I may have to retake them. I hope that I don’t even have to do that & they just take my ID photo & give me a start date.. but hopefully this is a good sign that they’ll be hiring again 😁

There were no hiring freeze. I have about probably 9 to 12 students at my depot doing line training. Also I have seen training buses for the past weeks. I believe Livingston were trying to catch up with people who previously was suppose to been started which probably caused delays on others who already did drugs and medical processes.