New Real-time Arrival Clocks on Subway’s Lettered Lines Frustrate Riders

Via Garibaldi 8

The placement of these display could be based on the limits of the system or technology. Power conduits, Wifi /BLE etc?  It's Mesh based tho I'm not sure of the exact setup shouldn't be too hard to hardwire some duplicate displays other places in station.  I'm sure there planning for it this is a new system after all. Better than waiting another 10 years for the AVL/ATS system I suppose. 

They'll complain about where they are placed...

Wait some did that already....

When they're hidden behind beams that's just stupid. Asking for common sense solutions to such problems is something the (MTA) still has difficulty doing, and in 2017 that is troubling. You can't keep excusing incompetence over and over again.

When they're hidden behind beams that's just stupid. Asking for common sense solutions to such problems is something the (MTA) still has difficulty doing, and in 2017 that is troubling. You can't keep excusing incompetence over and over again.

I am so with you. I get when people complain about things it can be annoying, but when they're saying one of the most important developments in customer experience in the system is being executed terribly, I think we should listen. People want to see their train arrival times, not play 'where's waldo' with the ceiling. 

I am so with you. I get when people complain about things it can be annoying, but when they're saying one of the most important developments in customer experience in the system is being executed terribly, I think we should listen. People want to see their train arrival times, not play 'where's waldo' with the ceiling.

. Indeed you guys have a point. At worst case it should have least been deployed to the IRT’s AVL/ATS level of placement and visibility .Think it was rushed abit especially with MTA public view over the last year or so. Should have taken the extra time

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yet along the Queens Corridor they are out in the Open which is strange.

I can see em every station..

You get what you pay for with crappy contractors i cannot disagree..

The clocks on the southbound Jay Street platform have issues. They are missing half of the arriving (C) trains, and do not show the (D) trains at all.

I wonder who in the hell is overseeing the installation of these countdown clocks and their upkeep?  Years ago I remember the (MTA) mentioning that each station had station managers.  I've wondered often what exactly their job was....

I wonder who in the hell is overseeing the installation of these countdown clocks and their upkeep?  Years ago I remember the (MTA) mentioning that each station had station managers.  I've wondered often what exactly their job was....

...and some of them were the same person for consecutive stops along a given line.

Yet along the Queens Corridor they are out in the Open which is strange.

I can see em every station..

You get what you pay for with crappy contractors i cannot disagree..

IND local stations generally have straight platforms, don't have stairs blocking views, and have low enough ridership that you can get a good view. For somewhere like Fulton St (A)/© or Herald Square, one clock won't cut it. Even if you get lucky enough that a set of stairs doesn't block your view, it could be too crowded to see.

IND local stations generally have straight platforms, don't have stairs blocking views, and have low enough ridership that you can get a good view. For somewhere like Fulton St (A)/© or Herald Square, one clock won't cut it. Even if you get lucky enough that a set of stairs doesn't block your view, it could be too crowded to see.

Again my point is you get what you pay for...

Again my point is you get what you pay for...

The system is already in place and it works for the most part. There’s gaps and it’s not to the second accurate but it’s solid for the time it was completed in. Work out the kinks and listen to your riders at this phase. It’s a simple tweak to mirror the information to other displays even the in station info kiosks easily could be reworked to pickup some slack. Next time I’m Downtown I’ll try to extract some information from the inside. From a technical standpoint I feel there’s another explanation for the placement. We’ll see.

The system is already in place and it works for the most part. There’s gaps and it’s not to the second accurate but it’s solid for the time it was completed in. Work out the kinks and listen to your riders at this phase. It’s a simple tweak to mirror the information to other displays even the in station info kiosks easily could be reworked to pickup some slack. Next time I’m Downtown I’ll try to extract some information from the inside. From a technical standpoint I feel there’s another explanation for the placement. We’ll see.

The system is in place and Yes it works but if you got folks putting it in who are not doing the job correctly..

You will have issues.

I know they will make this work come hell or high water...

For some its not enough and it will never be enough hence my whiners comment...

The system is in place and Yes it works but if you got folks putting it in who are not doing the job correctly..

You will have issues.

I know they will make this work come hell or high water...

For some its not enough and it will never be enough hence my whiners comment...

I think it will be enough.  Place them where they can be seen and place enough of them and no one will complain unless they're just idiots. This issue is really only a problem at the big stations anyway.  For the most part I have no problem finding one at smaller stations, so this is definitely a problem that can be remedied and won't cost a fortune to do so.

It seems like a lot of R32 (C) trains go missing off the real-time countdown clocks.

Has to be something with the way the cars are tagged.  There has to be a UUID (id tag) assigned to a car or set.

Hey question for everyone how does scheduling work for the Subway?  Is a certain train set scheduled for certain times? 

IE 16:07 out of Utica. Would they pre assign  7801-7805 x 7671-7675  to that run or is it whatever comes in? 

Subway headways are so tight just asking. Trying to reverse the technology here.

Has to be something with the way the cars are tagged.  There has to be a UUID (id tag) assigned to a car or set.

Hey question for everyone how does scheduling work for the Subway?  Is a certain train set scheduled for certain times? 

IE 16:07 out of Utica. Would they pre assign  7801-7805 x 7671-7675  to that run or is it whatever comes in? 

Subway headways are so tight just asking. Trying to reverse the technology here.

I would assume they use whatever equipment is available. It would be kind of hard to assign specific sets when cars breakdown or have to go the yard for sms and such.

I could be wrong though, I'll let someone else chime in.

I would assume they use whatever equipment is available. It would be kind of hard to assign specific sets when cars breakdown or have to go the yard for sms and such.

I could be wrong though, I'll let someone else chime in.

So there isn’t a daily assignment maybe?no yard oversight? This new system would have to have some type of human input somewhere in the process that UUID from the hardware on the train at some point has to be correlated a particular run or maybe a carset that’s then assigned.

IE: Beacon UUID 24eq-13b45s-r683rs = 13:50 out of 168th. Database then signs it up as a (C). Mesh network follows it down the line and send countdown info to stations further down the line. There could also be sometime of interface that allows someone on the backend to view trains along the line as well. All the information needed to triangulate is there for the most part. Maybe the way the R32 cars are tag is causing them to drop. Married pair vs 5 car sets ect?. Shrugs The system is dynamic in some ways I watched it follow rerouted C trains via the express yesterday but I’m sure it has some limits. This is ultimately just the positioning features of the IRT’s ATS. Using standard and cheaper technology. I’m sure I’m missing a detail or two this is how I’d built it out. Just trying to reverse engineer.

I don't think it has anything to do with the electronic signage, otherwise the system would never be able to track the (B) and (D) trains, which it has been doing since the initial testing phase. I could be wrong though.

Correct most BLE beacons are primitive all they do it is push a basic bit of info or ID information. In the consumer world beacons can’t even be detected unless a user has an app and a cloud connection. Think of a light house. The light house itself isn’t aware of the ships it’s sole purpose is to say I’m here. Ships visually receive this. Beacons work in the same way. It’s the receivers in stations or in tunnels that pickup the beacon signal takes that information and says that ID or info connects or links to these cars ,trainset or schedule departures and here’s it’s location divided by distance or schedule time between stations so on and so.

Are countdown clocks on Concourse still going to be based on ISIM-B? Or is this being installed instead?

Would they need to? This honestly is ISIM-B or could be setup to handle those area's .. Real-time or near RT train tracking. The main difference seems to be the switch from Older RF to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth standards.

In terms of the tech - there's probably a correlation between beacon UUID and Car #

I believe the dispatcher makes a note of the operating motors' # when a run leaves the initial terminal. 

It would be fairly rote to key that information into a system when the train leaves - since the operating motor is already recorded this isn't any more work. 

In terms of the original article: the physical clocks aren't great - but - people do know that some lettered lines are in the subway time app, right? If you have even a remotely modern phone, you can get the clocks anywhere inside or outside of the station. 

I know the subway time app is not particularly good. But, it gets the job done. 

Archived