Help With Map Creation

checkmatechamp13

So I need to make a map for a project I'm working on showing the Bronx bus routes. Is there a way to download the Geocodes showing the locations of the Bronx bus stops from BusTime (and show the routes between the points) and then also create different line thicknesses based on ridership (and other parameters such as frequency)?

Also, aside from a FOIL request, is there any way to get the per-stop ridership data, and data on the amount of bus-bus or bus-subway transfers? If that were the case, I could make an even fancier map showing the ridership of the routes on a per-mile basis (so you'd have the different line segments of varying thicknesses along the same route). 

So I need to make a map for a project I'm working on showing the Bronx bus routes. Is there a way to download the Geocodes showing the locations of the Bronx bus stops from BusTime (and show the routes between the points) and then also create different line thicknesses based on ridership (and other parameters such as frequency)?

Also, aside from a FOIL request, is there any way to get the per-stop ridership data, and data on the amount of bus-bus or bus-subway transfers? If that were the case, I could make an even fancier map showing the ridership of the routes on a per-mile basis (so you'd have the different line segments of varying thicknesses along the same route). 

I've done it for frequency, so the answer is: yes, but you need to know a programming language. I did mine in Python.

Given the public data sets, some of these things (location, trips) are much easier to calculate than, say, ridership, which AFAIK is only available on that really poorly formatted MTA statistics page.

I doubt per stop or bus-bus/bus-subway transfers exist in the format that you expect, simply because Metrocards do not record exits. You could certainly try a FOIL request; the MTA is not very prompt, but they do generally respond.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Question: Does anybody happen to have an Excel file (or know where I can find one) that shows the route length of each route? The file I'm using has a length for each shapefile, but it doesn't give me the units (so I don't know what to multiply it by to convert it to miles)

Shapefiles should generally have the units specified with the geometric coordinate system.

Archived