New Subway Pilot: Standing-Room-Only cars

East New York

The MTA is in the process of developing a pilot program that will outfit Subway trains with Standing-Room-Only cars. The SRO cars are part of a pilot to develope and implement new ways to move more people faster. In addition to the upcoming open-gangway pilot, the MTA thinks they can increase capacity without having to put the option of 75 foot cars on the table ever again.

As this story developed and more details are released, I will be sure to post.

Old news, I guess. The predominant theory is that they will simply convert the seats into folding seats and lock them in the upright position during rush hours.

I’m thinking more along the lines of removing all the seats out of a subway car. Putting small little banners on the outside labeling standing room only.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I’m thinking more along the lines of removing all the seats out of a subway car. Putting small little banners on the outside labeling standing room only.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Honestly, I doubt this will actually happen. The folding seats is a much better idea, there is no need for standing cars outside of peak hours, especially at night. It seems as if removing the seats completely would put a handicap on use outside of peak hours, pushing the straphangers who want seats into other cars, leaving an entire car empty.

Honestly, I doubt this will actually happen. The folding seats is a much better idea, there is no need for standing cars outside of peak hours, especially at night. It seems as if removing the seats completely would put a handicap on use outside of peak hours, pushing the straphangers who want seats into other cars, leaving an entire car empty.

On the plus side, I hypothesize that no seats means homeless people will move to cars that have them. The seatless cars will be stench-free if kept seatless around the clock.

Problem is some ass will decide to fold down the seat even when it's crowded because they're tired or some crap.

Problem is some ass will decide to fold down the seat even when it's crowded because they're tired or some crap.

I think this will be too much work and what will happen is cars will be left as is with the seats locked up for long periods of time.  People want to sit.  Very few opt to stand unless they aren't going that far.

• 3 weeks later...

@bobtehpanda I'm thinking it's for a different pilot. Also, I couldn't agree any more in regards to the color scheme. It looks okay for a Mets ad wrap, not great, but okay. Not for a standardized scheme though. It's like someone decided there must be color, but didn't think of how the colors would mesh with each other.

I don’t like it. It just looks too tacky. I really don’t see what’s wrong with the current R46 interior scheme that it needs to be changed significantly after more than 40 years in service. If Cuomo really wants to leave his blue-and-gold mark on the subway, then why not do it on the outside of the cars? Maybe bring back the blue belt line stripe the R46s had before they were overhauled in 1991-92. But maybe this time, incorporate some gold into the striping. Maybe put gold on the bulkheads and towards the ends of the cars and blue in the middle and around the  cab side windows. I always felt the R44 and 46 cars looked “naked” without the blue stripes.

On 9/30/2017 at 5:37 PM, bobtehpanda said:

"You know what's better than grandma's cream? Aggressively neon orange!"

I would've liked to see an R46 with white and blue.

In other words, the Nike modus operandi.

I've been wondering what an "interior refresh/refurbishment" would look like on all of the older cars--especially the R62s and R68s--similar to what Transport for London does with their older stock from time to time, considering that the last time the MTA did anything similar was during the GOH. (That means that every non-NTT car currently has the same interior scheme it had at least 25 years ago!) But if this kind of color scheme is what we're going to get... hard pass.

Archived