Live from Hurricane irma

BreeddekalbL

We decided to stay im staying with my parents we thought about leaving but we have a pet and it would have been a hassle to bring him on plane and plane tickets skyrocketed.

Well yeah now it's a bit too late. Everybody is heading north (ironically) to places they used to live before moving to Florida.  Stay safe.  

The storm is dangerous, but tbh people are overhyping it. FL has seen a ton of major hurricanes and geologically is much better built for them than Texas.

What exactly is overhyped about winds over 150 mph? You apparently haven't been paying attention, but so far this hurricane has destroyed several islands in the Caribbean.  Every hurricane is different.  I vividly recall Hurricane Sandy. I literally almost had a huge unidentified object almost fly right into my balcony doors.  The only thing that stopped it was a nearby boulder.  In addition to that, one of the trees near our balconies literally was snapped in half.  That too could've came crashing into my apartment, as so many trees did during that hurricane, destroying peoples' homes.  Luckily it landed in the opposite direction, away from my building.  I also lucked out and kept power.  Some people in Fieldston just a few minutes walking from me lost power in their entire house for WEEKS.  There were so many downed trees and power lines that ConEd was totally overwhelmed, and we're elevated and didn't have any real flooding problems to speak of, but it just shows how crazy things can be.  In any event never take any storm for granted.

I'm a strong believer in global warming, and from what I've been seeing, I expect future hurricanes and other storms to only worsen as time goes on.  

Archived