NYC Area Bus/Train Schedules/Maps: How and Where to Find Them

67thAve

I am aware that many of us here utilize paper schedules as a supplement to the virtual transit data provided by our operators, and perhaps even collect them. As such, I have compiled a list of the places that, as far as I am aware, provide transit information not just virtually, but tangibly as well. Note that the list is not complete, and I will edit the list if fellow users provide me with additional information, whether on operators or locations, through responses or messages. In particular, advice on systems where I have put a "?" would be useful.

NOTE: The parameters I am using for the New York City area are based upon what is listed on Wikipedia (which is likely a bit larger than we typically consider it to be).

NEW YORK STATE LOCAL SERVICES:

MTA New York City Subway/Staten Island Railroad: System map (includes LIRR/MNR routes on reverse side) available at most stations (at token booth), 3 Stone Street, or can be ordered via mail. As far as I am aware, paper schedules are only available for the SIR, and they are available at St. George.

MTA New York City Bus/MTA Bus: System maps are available for each borough, and can be found at most subway stations (at token booth), 3 Stone Street, or can be ordered via mail. Bus schedules are typically available at random off of buses and at 3 Stone Street, though Staten Island bus schedules, both local and express, can easily be found at St. George and Eltingville.

MTA Long Island Rail Road: Schedules for all branches are easily available at Jamaica, Atlantic Terminal, and Penn Station. Schedules for the relevant branch(es) are also available at most stations with waiting rooms.

MTA Metro-North Railroad: Schedules for all lines are available at Grand Central Terminal. At outlying stations with waiting rooms, schedules are typically available for the line that services the station.

NICE Bus: Schedules are typically available at random on buses, at some LIRR stations (such as Mineola), and at Hempstead Transit Center (some schedules are not on display, so ask the person manning the booth for a copy - typically, they have all routes in stock back there). System map is occasionally available, but be warned, it is half a decade out of date!

Long Beach Bus: Combined schedule/map vailable on buses.

Suffolk County Transit: Individual schedules and maps are available via mail.

HART (Huntington): ?

Westchester Bee-Line: Schedules and system maps are available via mail, and schedules for many individual routes are available at White Plains TransCenter. You can also find copies for a few routes at MNR stations, and I once found some in Stamford (though I believe that was a fluke).

Putnam Transit: ?

Dutchess LOOP: ?
Transport of Rockland: Tappan-Zee Express schedules are available at White Plains, but I am not certain about other routes, or the system map.

Clarkstown Mini-Trans: ?

UCAT/Kingston CitiBus: Schedule for Ulster-Poughkeepsie Link available at Stationmaster's Office in Grand Central Terminal (in MNR format), but I am not certain about any other brochures.

Various networks in Orange County (Middletown, Newburgh, Kiryas Joel): ?

CONNECTICUT LOCAL SERVICES:

CT Transit Stamford: Schedules and system map available at information center in the pedestrian tunnels next to Stamford station.*

CT Transit New Haven: Schedules and system map are available at both train stations in New Haven, as well at an information kiosk on the New Haven Green. Please note that the schedules are inside the kiosk, and must be requested to be given. The kiosk also carries the timetable for Estuary Transit, and I've seen schedules for some CT Transit Hartford and CT Transit New Britain routes at Union Station.*

CT Transit Waterbury: Schedules and system map are available at 188 Bank Street in Waterbury.*

*CT Transit will mail schedules, but all orders by mail are routed through Hartford. I ended up getting Waterbury schedules from 2005 earlier this year as a result.

Norwalk Transit District: ?

GBTA: System timetable (but not map) available at the bus terminal next to Bridgeport station, and via mail as well.

HART (Danbury): Schedules for shuttle services are available at the Stationmaster's Office in Grand Central Terminal (in MNR format). I am not certain about the rest of the routes, however.

Milford Transit District: ?

NEW JERSEY LOCAL SERVICES:

New Jersey Transit (Rail services): Train schedules for most (if not all) lines are available at Newark Penn, New York Penn, Secaucus Junction, Hoboken, and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Many other stations also have schedules available for the train line(s) that stop there. I've also seen system maps available at the specific locations I have listed.

New Jersey Transit (Light rail services): All schedules are available (as far as I am aware) at New York Penn, Newark Penn, and the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

New Jersey Transit (Bus services): Schedules are typically available for bus routes at train stations or bus terminals that they service (for example, you'll find most 600-series bus schedules at Trenton, most Essex County routes at Newark Penn, and so on). The Port Authority Bus Terminal, however, carries every single New Jersey Transit bus schedule at the customer service office there (though to obtain a schedule for a route that doesn't service the terminal, you have to ask the guy behind the counter to get it - don't try to get them all at once!). NJT claims to mail schedules, though I've never been able to get through. Many counties and TMAs, however, will mail schedules for the relevant service area.

PENNSYLVANIA LOCAL SERVICES:

Pocono Pony: ?

LANTA: ?

COMMUTER SERVICES/PRIVATE OPERATORS:

A&C Bus Corporation: ?

Academy Buses: ?

Community Coach: Available at the information booth, as well as the ticket counter, in the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Short Line Bus: Same as Community Coach.

Suburban Transit: Same as Community Coach

Rockland Coaches: Same as Community Coach for the Port Authority Bus Terminal, though schedules are also available at the GWB Bus Station.

ONE Bus: All schedules are available at Newark Penn Station.

DeCamp Bus Lines: Available by mail.

Lakeland Bus Lines: All schedules are available in the New Jersey Transit customer service center at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Trans-Bridge Lines: Same as Lakeland.

Martz Trailways: System timetable available at information booth at the Port Authority Bus Terminals.

Susquehanna Trailways: Same as Martz.

Hampton Jitney: Same as Martz.

Leprechaun Lines: ?

Edited by MrBeardedBread

I am aware that many of us here utilize paper schedules as a supplement to the virtual transit data provided by our operators, and perhaps even collect them. As such, I have compiled a list of the places that, as far as I am aware, provide transit information not just virtually, but tangibly as well. Note that the list is not complete, and I will edit the list if fellow users provide me with additional information, whether on operators or locations, through responses or messages. In particular, advice on systems where I have put a "?" would be useful.

NOTE: The parameters I am using for the New York City area are based upon what is listed on Wikipedia (which is likely a bit larger than we typically consider it to be).

MTA New York City Subway/Staten Island Railroad: System map (includes LIRR/MNR routes on reverse side) available at most stations (at token booth), 3 Stone Street, or can be ordered via mail. As far as I am aware, paper schedules are only available for the SIR, and they are available at St. George.

MTA New York City Bus/MTA Bus: System maps are available for each borough, and can be found at most subway stations (at token booth), 3 Stone Street, or can be ordered via mail. Bus schedules are typically available at random off of buses and at 3 Stone Street, though Staten Island bus schedules, both local and express, can easily be found at St. George and Eltingville.

MTA Long Island Rail Road: Schedules for all branches are easily available at Jamaica, Atlantic Terminal, and Penn Station. Schedules for the relevant branch(es) are also available at most stations with waiting rooms.

MTA Metro-North Railroad: Schedules for all lines are available at Grand Central Terminal. At outlying stations with waiting rooms, schedules are typically available for the line that services the station.

NICE Bus: Schedules are typically available at random on buses, at some LIRR stations (such as Mineola), and at Hempstead Transit Center (some schedules are not on display, so ask the person manning the booth for a copy - typically, they have all routes in stock back there). System map is occasionally available, but be warned, it is half a decade out of date!

Westchester Bee-Line: Schedules and system maps are available via mail, and schedules for many individual routes are available at White Plains TransCenter. You can also find copies for a few routes at MNR stations, and I once found some in Stamford (though I believe that was a fluke).

Transport of Rockland: Tappan-Zee Express schedules are available at White Plains, but I am not certain about other routes, or the system map.

UCAT/Kingston CitiBus: Schedule for Ulster-Poughkeepsie Link available at Stationmaster's Office in Grand Central Terminal (in MNR format), but I am not certain about any other brochures.

CT Transit Stamford: Schedules and system map available at information center in the pedestrian tunnels next to Stamford station.*

CT Transit New Haven: Schedules and system map are available at both train stations in New Haven, as well at an information kiosk on the New Haven Green. Please note that the schedules are inside the kiosk, and must be requested to be given. The kiosk also carries the timetable for Estuary Transit, and I've seen schedules for some CT Transit Hartford and CT Transit New Britain routes at Union Station.*

CT Transit Waterbury: Schedules and system map are available at 188 Bank Street in Waterbury.*

*CT Transit will mail schedules, but all orders by mail are routed through Hartford. I ended up getting Waterbury schedules from 2005 earlier this year as a result.

GBTA: System timetable (but not map) available at the bus terminal next to Bridgeport station, and via mail as well.

HART (Danbury): Schedules for shuttle services are available at the Stationmaster's Office in Grand Central Terminal (in MNR format). I am not certain about the rest of the routes, however.

New Jersey Transit (Rail services): Train schedules for most (if not all) lines are available at Newark Penn, New York Penn, Secaucus Junction, Hoboken, and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Many other stations also have schedules available for the train line(s) that stop there. I've also seen system maps available at the specific locations I have listed.

New Jersey Transit (Light rail services): All schedules are available (as far as I am aware) at New York Penn, Newark Penn, and the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

New Jersey Transit (Bus services): Schedules are typically available for bus routes at train stations or bus terminals that they service (for example, you'll find most 600-series bus schedules at Trenton, most Essex County routes at Newark Penn, and so on). The Port Authority Bus Terminal, however, carries every single New Jersey Transit bus schedule at the customer service office there (though to obtain a schedule for a route that doesn't service the terminal, you have to ask the guy behind the counter to get it - don't try to get them all at once!). Many counties and TMAs will mail schedules for the relevant service area.

Community Coach: Available at the information booth, as well as the ticket counter, in the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Rockland Coaches: Same as Community Coach for the Port Authority Bus Terminal, though schedules are also available at the GWB Bus Station.

Lakeland Bus Lines: All schedules are available in the New Jersey Transit customer service center at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Martz Trailways: System timetable available at information booth at the Port Authority Bus Terminals.

Updated the list to reflect that NJT does not mail schedules. Also, from here on out, any updates to the list will be on my profile page.

Edited by MrBeardedBread

Clarkstown Mini-Trans: ? Has map on schedules by request

New Jersey Transit (Bus services): Schedules are typically available for bus routes at train stations or bus terminals that they service (for example, you'll find most 600-series bus schedules at Trenton, most Essex County routes at Newark Penn, and so on). The Port Authority Bus Terminal, however, carries every single New Jersey Transit bus schedule at the customer service office there (though to obtain a schedule for a route that doesn't service the terminal, you have to ask the guy behind the counter to get it - don't try to get them all at once!). NJT claims to mail schedules, though I've never been able to get through. Many counties and TMAs, however, will mail schedules for the relevant service area.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 7:18 PM, 67thAve said:

MTA New York City Subway/Staten Island Railway: System map (includes LIRR/MNR routes on reverse side) available at most stations (at token booth), 3 Stone Street, or can be ordered via mail. As far as I am aware, paper schedules are only available for the SIR, and they are available at St. George.

The map can also be gotten from the New York Transit museum annex in GCT, and from libraries. Service change brochures can be found in subway stations affected by the disruption. The large print map can be gotten at 3 Stone Street, as well as a pocket guide listing accessible stations. The late night map is distributed infrequently but can be found in high-traffic stations, and can sometimes be sent by mail.

The SIR timetable can be gotten at 3 Stone, by mail, as well as from Tottenville.

Bus maps also appear randomly on buses, and can be sent by mail. Bus schedules can also be found in the ferry waiting area at St. George. Until earlier this year, schedules could be mailed. Now they just send print-outs of them from the website. 

Brochures on safety, alternative service in case of a disruption, special timetables, and special service can be gotten by mail.

Brochures on safety, alternative service in case of a disruption, special timetables, and special service can be gotten by mail. The mileposts newsletter and deals and getaway brochures can be gotten near the tracks. Hudson-rail link timetables and connecting service timetables can be gotten at GCT or by mail. Port Jervis and Pascack timetables can be gotten at GCT, NY-Penn, and probably also at Hoboken and Secaucus. 

I once called (631) 351-3000  and asked for bus schedules, but was only sent them because I claimed that I would use the service.

I once got some at a hotel near Orangeburg.

Shore Line East

Can be gotten at GCT by asking at the information booth, by mail, or presumably, at stations along SLE.

These can be mailed. System maps can be mailed or gotten at Hoboken, New York Penn, and probably at Newark and Secaucus.

All are available at New York–Penn. If my memory serves me right, they can all be gotten at Trenton.

PATH

Can be gotten at every PATH stop in manhattan (probably also in NJ), and can be gotten online.

Edited by Union Tpke
Fix

• 1 year later...

I thought this might be useful to leave here. An entire folder dedicated to all the buses I ever rode and hope to ride. I update it every few months, but if anything is out of date, let me know. Folders listed by Agency.

It's public. No login needed, although it would help, because you'd be able to save it to your own OneDrive.

• 6 months later...