Transit Electrical Helper 7609, a letter for SPA?

jake3178

Hello future transit workers.

Could someone please explain what's to be expected at this letters appointment.

It's called "Safety Proficiency Assesment (SPA)", is this a multiple choice test or like a job interview? Will I be asked technical questions like OHMS law etc.

Do I have any chance at this job?

Including a link to the letter (minus personal info).

https://imgur.com/gallery/I2CDE

Thank you!

From the picture you posted, it sounds like it's going to be a multiple-choice exam plus a memorization portion. I highly doubt you will be asked any technical questions. If I was you, do a brief Google search for "oral comprehension", "oral expression" & "problem sensitivity" to help you prepare for the exam.

Good luck!!

Electronic devices are not permitted so you can infer math will be a non to miniscule factor in what they are testing you on.

If it was me designing this test, the position will either become a light maintainer or signals maintainer, or Transit Electro Mechanical Maintainer, so know the basics.

Know Ohms law P = IV and V = RI definitely.

Know your basic electrical symbols.

Know circuits, simple and complex multiwire.

Know 2 way and 3 way switches.

Know how to read a block diagram

Know how to read a schematic.

Know how to read a wiring diagram.

Know how to read an analogue multimeter.

Know how to read a digital multimeter.

Know diodes and rectifier.

Know transformers, converters, and inverters.

Know your megger and Wheatstone bridges.

Know basic NEC for conductors, receptacles, ground wire size.

Know your conduit bends, stub ups and offset multipliers.

Know the proper names for the proper tools used.

And most importantly, KNOW YOUR SAFETY PROCEDURES WHEN WORKING WITH LIVE POWER.

The ASSESSMENT should be designed in accordance with the NOE which education requirements #3 & #4 do not include practice in electrical, electro-mechanical, or electronics fields. So expect theory to be a major component of the ASSESSMENT.

Or I could be completely off and the proctor will just ask you how you got to 180 Livingston that day and what color is the ground wire.

Edited by Dave2836

Thank you both for your input.

From Notice of Examination http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf_exams/7609.pdf

Safety Proficiency Assessment: If you pass the education and experience test, you will be scheduled to take the qualifying safety proficiency assessment as vacancies occur. However, based on the projected number of vacancies, it is possible that not all candidates who pass the education and experience test will be scheduled for the qualifying safety proficiency assessment. A score of 70% is required to pass the qualifying safety proficiency assessment. In the qualifying safety proficiency assessment you will be required to demonstrate the following abilities:

Oral Comprehension – The ability to understand spoken English words and sentences.

Oral Expression – The ability to use English words or sentences in speaking so others will understand.

Also, my dad is a Signal Maintainer, he says that it'll be a panel of three guys/gals and they'll just have a conversation with you - not about anything overly technical.

I really hope it's mainly focused on English and something like culture fit (not like i'm applying to Google but anyway).

Because I don't have a year to study for your extensive list Dave. =)

Another interesting thing is that this NOE is all about "Type of Test: Education and Experience Test Test Date: N/A", instead of a multiple-choice test like years past.

Edited by jake3178

• 5 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 2:52 AM, jake3178 said:

In case someone runs into this question in the future.

The "Safety Proficiency Assessment" turned out to be 100% oral comprehension lasting no more than 10 minutes.. no technical questions.

Any example on what type of questions?

hey guys, I applied for exam 8606 transit electrical helper in OCT 2017 and received a letter today for the same thing, the application was based on experience and education where there was no exam giving, is this job safe to proceed ? its for a "provisional" position and I am currently working at in my job for over 10 years now so its hard to make the move for a "provisional" position

• 3 months later...
On 6/25/2018 at 11:13 AM, Victorious29 said:

Guys That are coming to there permanent status, did you guys find out if you had to take an exam besides Exam application?

whenever they give the next helper exam, you have to take it..only way you can become permanent. you will not be let go as provisional. unfortunately, you will be on probation until you take the test and that list is established. what are they telling you in school? do you have George as your teacher?

52 minutes ago, Victorious29 said:

No test to take. It’s all experience based and every so often they will evaluate. Union VP came by and explained.

you can 100% do your 25 years as a provisional employee and never take the civil service exam for TEHP. but you will be on probation for 25 years and you will probably get evaluated after every year. kid in my section came in December ‘17, I came in April ‘18. because i took exam and he is provisional, my seniority is is 7 slots above him. once you get permanent status, you will have to f**k up pretty bad to lose your job but if your on probation, thats all the TA needs to boot you if you slip up. if you want to always have probation over your head, thats up to you.

Whoever spoke to you is correct with you no test to take and still have your job. all the questions your class is asking, my class did the same thing. every single person that came to speak to us got asked the provisional/permanent/can i lose my job question.

• 3 weeks later...

For people who just took the 8611 transit electrical helper, I'd like to compare results with someone..

Sharing just the answers shouldn't be an issue... mods, please correct me if I'm wrong

I compared with a friend from the same classroom and 2 of our questions disagree

First 3 are C, A, C ... last 3 are A, D, A. If someone has the same version, please msg me..

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 5:45 PM, GerardL said:

you can 100% do your 25 years as a provisional employee and never take the civil service exam for TEHP. but you will be on probation for 25 years and you will probably get evaluated after every year. kid in my section came in December ‘17, I came in April ‘18. because i took exam and he is provisional, my seniority is is 7 slots above him. once you get permanent status, you will have to f**k up pretty bad to lose your job but if your on probation, thats all the TA needs to boot you if you slip up. if you want to always have probation over your head, thats up to you.

Whoever spoke to you is correct with you no test to take and still have your job. all the questions your class is asking, my class did the same thing. every single person that came to speak to us got asked the provisional/permanent/can i lose my job question.

Not entirely accurate.  Your probationary period is one year and that's it.  Once the year is up you are not put back on probation.  However the difference is you still will not own your title.  Seniority is not effected.  If a lerson was hired before you they will have seniority.  Once a provisional goes permanent, it will still take a year from that date for them to own their title.  What does that mean?  If you go for promotion and take it and either screw up, fail school, whatever, there is no position for you to go back to of you don't own the title of helper.  That's where people have to be careful.  There are no extended probations although it may feel that way because even while off probation you still don't own your title.

On 6/27/2018 at 7:30 AM, GerardL said:

whenever they give the next helper exam, you have to take it..only way you can become permanent. you will not be let go as provisional. unfortunately, you will be on probation until you take the test and that list is established. what are they telling you in school? do you have George as your teacher?

This is 100% not true.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:18 PM, Farjo33 said:

Not entirely accurate.  Your probationary period is one year and that's it.  Once the year is up you are not put back on probation.  However the difference is you still will not own your title.  Seniority is not effected.  If a lerson was hired before you they will have seniority.  Once a provisional goes permanent, it will still take a year from that date for them to own their title.  What does that mean?  If you go for promotion and take it and either screw up, fail school, whatever, there is no position for you to go back to of you don't own the title of helper.  That's where people have to be careful.  There are no extended probations although it may feel that way because even while off probation you still don't own your title.

you are quoting me from June..that all changed with the last class coming in, what I stated was the case when I came in in April..i know in another topic i clarified with the updated information..you must work at Locust lol

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Shahid said:

Hi Jake,

I have been called at 180 Livingston to give the SPA next week. Could you please guide me that exactly what are they gonna ask? 

Thank you

Fatir

I will copy/paste my comment from the 8611 thread:

It's very simple. Instructor shows you 10 pictures and wants you to answer a safety related question about the scenario in each picture.

My one tip is to make sure to give only one answer, dont get nervous and start listing 2+ possible answers.. decide on a single most important fact and put it in a complete sentence.

Whole thing is over in 5-10 min.

1 hour ago, jake3178 said:

I will copy/paste my comment from the 8611 thread:

It's very simple. Instructor shows you 10 pictures and wants you to answer a safety related question about the scenario in each picture.

My one tip is to make sure to give only one answer, dont get nervous and start listing 2+ possible answers.. decide on a single most important fact and put it in a complete sentence.

Whole thing is over in 5-10 min.

Thank you so much. Did they give you the result straight away?? What happens next after answering 10 questions? 

1 hour ago, Shahid said:

Thank you so much. Did they give you the result straight away?? What happens next after answering 10 questions? 

You will not get results right away. Have to wait for a pre-employment letter, usually just a few weeks after.

However you should be able to get a feel for how well you do. Just take your time, listen carefully. It's not a big deal at all.

Edited by jake3178