Bus Announcement

Vlad

English is not my native language and I have difficulties to get the correct contents of the announcement in NYC buses.

Either it "Please access through the rear door", which sounds for me like something wrong, or it is 

"Free access to the rear door" which sounds for me correctly. 

Funny thing - I asked many of my neighbors who were born here in the US and their answers "Never paid attention", or "Good question" or something like that.

I understand the meaning of that announcement. I just wanted to get the correct contents/spelling.

Thank you

I was trying to hear the word EXIT, but there is definitely the word ACCESS. I can garble PLEASE with FREE (with low quality of sound system in the bus and my age), THROUGH with TO, but no way to garble EXIT with ACCESS. 

By some reason Google doesn't give any variation of bus announcement in NYC at all. Top secret, probably.

Anyway, thank you very much.

As long as we are talking about bus announcements, we now have a new annoyance. "Caution, bus is turning." Fine if the bus really is turning, but on some buses it gives off every time a bus enters and leaves a bus stop.

Also, half the time I am about to exit through the rear door, and I am reaching for the tape, the announcement, "Please step away from the rear door." How am I supposed to exit if I have to move away?

Also, there shoukd be a way for the bus operator to override the "Please exit through the rear door" as it doesn't always make sense like when the bus is near the end of the route and no one is boarding through the front, or if a large load is exiting at the terminal stop.

Also, half the time I am about to exit through the rear door, and I am reaching for the tape, the announcement, "Please step away from the rear door." How am I supposed to exit if I have to move away?

That's because the sensor above the door is recognizing you and the bus hasn't come to a stop yet. If you wait until the green light comes on to move forward, it doesn't happen.

lol... please access through the rear door.... MTA should "borrow" that announcement for the SBS' !

As long as we are talking about bus announcements, we now have a new annoyance. "Caution, bus is turning."

Fine if the bus really is turning, but on some buses it gives off every time a bus enters and leaves a bus stop.

Consider how hard/steadfast a b/o has to whip that 'wheel to come up off the curbside & back into traffic.... Yeah it's a false positive, but I'm not sure there's much that can be done about that.....

As far as the turn announcements in general.... Maybe I'm biased, but the ones we have doesn't bother me as much - being that I had to put up with (hearing) the ones that were on the NICE buses about a year or so ago.... Glad they did away w/ the announcements on those buses; now those were annoying..... Not only was the announcement made in English & Spanish, it could literally be heard from blocks away.... The ones we have aren't near as loud....

This isn't a complaint, but more something I find quirky.... The turning bus announcement on our buses, I find is said a little bit too quickly....

lol... please access through the rear door.... MTA should "borrow" that announcement for the SBS' !

Consider how hard/steadfast a b/o has to whip that 'wheel to come up off the curbside & back into traffic.... Yeah it's a false positive, but I'm not sure there's much that can be done about that.....

As far as the turn announcements in general.... Maybe I'm biased, but the ones we have doesn't bother me as much - being that I had to put up with (hearing) the ones that were on the NICE buses about a year or so ago.... Glad they did away w/ the announcements on those buses; now those were annoying..... Not only was the announcement made in English & Spanish, it could literally be heard from blocks away.... The ones we have aren't near as loud....

This isn't a complaint, but more something I find quirky.... The turning bus announcement on our buses, I find is said a little bit too quickly....

Speaking of multi-lingual announcements, the MTA should consider implementing that in their CD turn announcements. 

Basically instead of  EN>EN>EN it could be EN>ES>EN (or if it's possible, substitute Espanol with another language depending on location). NJT and King County Metro has the same warning announcements as ours albeit with the addition of Espanol so it shouldn't be as difficult to pull off here in the city.

There shouldn't be any false postives. I can't believe we an send someone to the moon but cant figure this one out. A bus that's turning has the wheels turned for a longer period of time

It's not a false positive because I've tried it over and over and the warning only comes on when the steering wheel is being turned and the bus is moving slowly. Yea, after awhile it gets annoying but when turning now some pedestrians do actually stop and look.

They did? I think they still have them.

There shouldn't be any false postives. I can't believe we an send someone to the moon but cant figure this one out. A bus that's turning has the wheels turned for a longer period of time

I'm not defending it, dude....

Speaking of multi-lingual announcements, the MTA should consider implementing that in their CD turn announcements. 

Basically instead of  EN>EN>EN it could be EN>ES>EN (or if it's possible, substitute Espanol with another language depending on location). NJT and King County Metro has the same warning announcements as ours albeit with the addition of Espanol so it shouldn't be as difficult to pull off here in the city.

Not trying to be funny, but the announcements were in Spanish on NICE buses for no other reason than to cater to the large majority of its users....

They did? I think they still have them.

Do they? Then I should put it this way...... I haven't heard them from any of the Jamaica routes or the Mineola routes in months....

Come to think of it, I didn't hear them last week when we (co-workers) went to RFM either.....

I'm not defending it, dude....

Not trying to be funny, but the announcements were in Spanish on NICE buses for no other reason than to cater to the large majority of its users....

Do they? Then I should put it this way...... I haven't heard them from any of the Jamaica routes or the Mineola routes in months....

Come to think of it, I didn't hear them last week when we (co-workers) went to RFM either.....

I haven't heard much from their Orions, but some of their newer buses tend to blast em.

I'll probably hike up to 165 just to see.

It's not a false positive because I've tried it over and over and the warning only comes on when the steering wheel is being turned and the bus is moving slowly. Yea, after awhile it gets annoying but when turning now some pedestrians do actually stop and look.

A bus pulling into or out of a bus stop is not "a bus turning". If it goes on every time a bus pulls into a bus stop, it becomes very annoying and people will just ignore it like they ignore "please exit through the rear door" which is just as annoying. These announcements should only be played when they are meaningful.

On 9/17/2017 at 9:00 PM, Cait Sith said:

I haven't heard much from their Orions, but some of their newer buses tend to blast em.

I'll probably hike up to 165 just to see.

I was specifically referring to the XN40's... That's all I used to ever hear them on a good while back....

This past week though @ Mineola, I haven't heard squat.... Any luck @ 165th?

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I was specifically referring to the XN40's... That's all I used to ever hear them on a good while back....

This past week though @ Mineola, I haven't heard squat.... Any luck @ 165th?

I was up there Thursday night(fell asleep after work on the F and woke up just before 169th), saw 2 n6s, an n22 and n24 leave, only the n24 had it, which was a newer Orion.

It really does seem as if they're doing away with the announcements. I do wonder why, though...

I still have no answer from anybody really using NYC buses (not theoretical ideas and not from people who do not use NYC buses) what is correct spelling of the announcement:

"Please access through the rear door" or "Free access to the rear door" 

DEFINITELY there is no word "EXIT", There is the word "ACCESS"

Thank you

22 minutes ago, Vlad said:

I still have no answer from anybody really using NYC buses (not theoretical ideas and not from people who do not use NYC buses) what is correct spelling of the announcement:

Thank you

Everyone who replied has used the NYC bus at least once, including me. It definitely is "Please exit through the rear door". Maybe you hear access because of the low quality of the announcement heard when looking at a video/riding a certain bus one time.

You know, if I didn't understand or speak English, I'd understand why he's hearing "access", even in person - I just never thought that because I speak and understand English (and English only).

But, yes as everyone has said here Vlad, it's "PLEASE EXIT THROUGH THE REAR DOOR".

That's what it is, not what we think it is.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Sightly off topic, but the "its a metrocard city" announcement on the buses sound like shes saying its a Metro Hard city" to me.

Listening to that same announcement on a bus that's not moving seems to clear that up. I notice it chop up like that while the bus is moving though.

23 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

...EXIT is also the only thing that makes sense.

11 hours ago, Rick44 said:

...I just never thought that because I speak and understand English (and English only).

On 9/30/2017 at 9:19 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

...Maybe you hear access because of the low quality of the announcement heard when looking at a video/riding a certain bus one time.

You all will be just written off as someone conveying "theoretical ideas" for saying any of this.....

On 9/30/2017 at 8:53 AM, Vlad said:

Thank you

You sir, are full of shit.....

English may not be your native language, but at this point, you're doing nothing more than trolling..... You got an answer - Not only an answer, but THE answer.... For whatever the reason, you just don't want to believe that the word in the announcement is "exit" and not no damn "access".... You even go as far as to TELL us that "definitely" there is no word exit, but there is the word access.... If that's the bullheaded conclusion you've undeniably come to, then why in all of the f*** are you continually asking us for????? It's apparent that you want someone to cosign this silly "theory" & it's not going to happen on this forum.....

Gotta like how you dismissed anyone that gave THE ANSWER to this query by writing them off as someone posing a mere theory & that of being a non-NYC bus rider, by the way.....

One more time, the word in the announcement is EXIT....

E-X-I-T...... Exit.

Now go somewhere with this crap already... Impaled even.

Archived