MTA will add bike racks to Bx23, Q50 buses

GojiMet86

http://bronx.news12.com/story/36390645/mta-will-add-bike-racks-to-bx23-q50-buses

MTA will add bike racks to Bx23, Q50 buses

THE BRONX -
The MTA announced it will add bike racks to its Bx23 and Q50 buses.

The new addition is part of the MTA's pilot program 'Bike and Ride,' which launched in 2015.

The program gives cyclists an opportunity to reach destinations they normally would not have access to exclusively using a bicycle.

The racks, known as 10-second brackets, will hold two bikes at a time and be placed on the front bumper of the bus.

They are expected to be added beginning in Spring 2018.

The Q50 spends an incredible amount of time at its terminals, so dwell times (assuming that people are boarding where the majority of customers do, at terminals) shouldn't do that much impact things. The point made above ^^ is stupid: the goal is to encourage biking within neighborhoods for commuters who would otherwise be in cars causing traffic, not over fifteen mile cross-borough stretches. If this means fewer people driving around Co-Op City and more people biking, everything gets more livable.

Now, I wonder if they'll be pushing the remaining RTSes out of ECH for this. Can't see them using a new bike rack just for RTSes when they have them built for O7s, but hey, maybe the MBTA can loan us some of theirs!

The Q50 spends an incredible amount of time at its terminals, so dwell times (assuming that people are boarding where the majority of customers do, at terminals) shouldn't do that much impact things. The point made above ^^ is stupid: the goal is to encourage biking within neighborhoods for commuters who would otherwise be in cars causing traffic, not over fifteen mile cross-borough stretches. If this means fewer people driving around Co-Op City and more people biking, everything gets more livable.

That's right so let's slow down buses even more with bikes... People have to get the bikes off of the buses too you know...   <_< With some of the wait times between buses, you would be better off just biking anyway. Anyone who waits 30 minutes for a bus is an idiot when they have a bike right there.

That's right so let's slow down buses even more with bikes... People have to get the bikes off of the buses too you know...   <_< With some of the wait times between buses, you would be better off just biking anyway. Anyone who waits 30 minutes for a bus is an idiot when they have a bike right there.

1. The Whitestone Bridge doesn't have a bike path AFAIK

2. Other operators have shown that bike racks don't slow down buses.

3. The person with the bike can take it off the rack while the other people are getting off you know...

1. The Whitestone Bridge doesn't have a bike path AFAIK

2. Other operators have shown that bike racks don't slow down buses.

1. Well that's nice.  I wonder just how much ridership they've generated on the lines with bike racks, and where is the money coming from to provide this? For an agency that constantly cries broke, this doesn't seem like a move that makes any sense right now.  They should use the money to hire more fare inspectors to crack down on fare beating.  They're spending more money that they don't have to spend.

2. Other operators aren't the (MTA).  The (MTA) should be looking for ways to speed up service and run their buses on time.  If they focused more on that then I wouldn't mind the bikes as much.  They're hemorrhaging ridership, and they're worried about the occasional bike rider? Their priorities are warped to say the least.  

QSC_TMC_291.jpg

Once upon a time, the same line(s) that's being discussed had bike racks, they proved to be very successful.
With how fast the Bx23 and Q50 is nowadays(with the exception of the neverending construction on Main Street), the line will be fine with them.

Once upon a time, the same line(s) that's being discussed had bike racks, they proved to be very successful.

With how fast the Bx23 and Q50 is nowadays(with the exception of the neverending construction on Main Street), the line will be fine with them.

Thank you for the helpful context on this--relevant when everybody complains about something that isn't even a big deal or even a new thing. 

So I had a guy with a bike come on my S53 today... Put the bike in the rack as others were boarding, stayed at the front of the bus and was the first person off at Fort Hamilton Parkway to take off his bike while others got off. No time wasted...

I imagine the Q50 will be the same...

But is there actually a potential bike ridership base? And what lead them to believe there was in the first place? I can only think of Pelham Bay Park.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

But is there actually a potential bike ridership base? And what lead them to believe there was in the first place? I can only think of Pelham Bay Park.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

You'd be surprised at how such a base would rise. There wasn't much of a base for the S53/93 at first, but now look at it.

Yes, there is potential.

So I had a guy with a bike come on my S53 today... Put the bike in the rack as others were boarding, stayed at the front of the bus and was the first person off at Fort Hamilton Parkway to take off his bike while others got off. No time wasted... 

I imagine the Q50 will be the same...

You got a rider who was competent and a bus that wasn't too crowded.  The other thing I think about is, these people must stink like hell.  They're all sweaty riding a bike and then they come on the bus to ride.  No thank you.

You got a rider who was competent and a bus that wasn't too crowded.  The other thing I think about is, these people must stink like hell.  They're all sweaty riding a bike and then they come on the bus to ride.  No thank you.

Lol....Some stink w/o riding a bike...But that depends if one decided to wash before bike riding...

Lol....Some stink w/o riding a bike...But that depends if one decided to wash before bike riding...

Tell me about it.  It seems okay now because there's air conditioning, but when it gets cooler and the stupid B/Os decide to crank up the heat on those little 40 footer buses, it'll be a sauna and then you'll have all of those people stinking up the bus, PLUS the bike riders coming on stinking.  The S53 is infamous for this.  There are a few bus lines that I simply refuse to ride because the drivers crank up the heat like they're going crazy, no one opens up a damn window and then you can't get to any of windows to open one, and when you finally do, they're incredibly hard to get open.  A few times I got an S53, it was so hot and packed I had to get off early.  I think the artics are a bit better because there's more room and for some reason slightly better air flow.  Everyone gets on with their body heat, so you don't need all of that heat like that anyway.

The B/Os have their own little climate control at the front, plus that window that slides open so they're comfortable while the rest of the bus swelters. lol 

Anyone know how the bikes get on and off the rack? Is it just a simple lock? Would there be any chance for the bike rack to have an issue when taking the bike off? Let's say someone is trying to get their bike off the rack, but it's stuck for whatever reason.  Or lets say the bike isn't properly placed onto the rack and falls while in-motion.This would cause a headache for both the driver and other passengers IMO.

Archived