Welcome to NYC Transit Forums on IPS 4.2.4

Harry

Community Poll  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new version of the forums?

• I like it
    • I don't like it
    • I don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Harry said:

NYC Transit Forums has been updated to Invision Community 4.2.4. I created this topic for any questions, bugs, glitches or other concerns that you may have while browsing the forums.

I sent you a PM with some glitches that I found so far. Honestly, it's just going to take time for me to get familiar with the 'new' upgrade...

I come back online after three days of no computer use (Rosh Hashanah and Shabbat) and I am startled to see this. It is very overwhelming. I hope that things work. I am having trouble seeing some things. I wanted to catch up on the ESI thread but I can only see the newest page. It won't let me see the page before.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I come back online after three days of no computer use (Rosh Hashanah and Shabbat) and I am startled to see this. It is very overwhelming. I hope that things work. I am having trouble seeing some things. I wanted to catch up on the ESI thread but I can only see the newest page. It won't let me see the page before.

This happens on mobile as well, @Harry. (Yes you can tag people now) You would have to go to the first page in the thread and then go through each page until you reach the last one. It may be because everything is still rebuilding or maybe all users need a "Mark as Read" forum-wide.

Hmm... Interesting look. First off however it turns out, a thanks to Harry for his hard work and whoever else is involved. I won't vote yet since I'm just seeing the new site for the first time.  The interface looks nice, but some things seem missing.  I assume some things won't carry over... I think this layout is going to make it hard to find things. Seems like too many things are too tiny and abbreviated. The old site was better in that regard.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Hmm... Interesting look. First off however it turns out, a thanks to Harry for his hard work and whoever else is involved. I won't vote yet since I'm just seeing the new site for the first time.  The interface looks nice, but some things seem missing.  I assume some things won't carry over... I think this layout is going to make it hard to find things. Seems like too many things are too tiny and abbreviated. The old site was better in that regard.

What things are you looking for? A lot was rearranged into different menus.

29 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

What things are you looking for? A lot was rearranged into different menus.

I don't even know where to begin.  The interface is nice, but I feel like we went from Windows XP to Windows 7 where I hated the user experience of everything.  Why did everything have to be changed anyway? The old site was fine. I can't see myself posting regularly here because I feel like it's a rat maze. You click on one thing, you get taken to another thing and still don't see what you're looking for.  Just crazy.  I hate saying it because it was a lot of work, but so far I'm annoyed. Too much work finding anything.  

20 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

This happens on mobile as well, @Harry. (Yes you can tag people now) You would have to go to the first page in the thread and then go through each page until you reach the last one. It may be because everything is still rebuilding or maybe all users need a "Mark as Read" forum-wide.

It works once you refresh the page. It is a nuisance though.

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

...because I feel like it's a rat maze. You click on one thing, you get taken to another thing and still don't see what you're looking for.  Just crazy.  ...Too much work finding anything.  

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The interface looks nice, but some things seem missing.  I assume some things won't carry over... I think this layout is going to make it hard to find things. The old site was better in that regard.

One of the things I liked with the old forums was the numbering. One of the things I've been working on in my free time is a hard-copy document in Word containing valuable information from some of the Employment Topics/Threads (just like how "tomato" is pronounced two different ways). As you can tell by the attachment, which is only the first two pages out of the 17-page document I created for myself, the numbering came in real handy, not only to keep track and pace myself while creating the document, since the Bus Operator 4600 thread is very lengthy, but to also refer to the "specific" post later on in the event something happened, such as a typo error, or if I read something and I don't understand it since it's out of context, etc. This also came in handy when some of the 'new' members would ask the same question over and over again - I would just open up my word document, find the original post, quote it and finished!!

That's one of the big things I'm going to miss...

sample.pdf

1 minute ago, YoungNYCSubwayFan said:

One of the things I liked with the old forums was the numbering. One of the things I've been working on in my free time is a hard-copy document in Word containing valuable information from some of the Employment Topics/Threads (just like how "tomato" is pronounced two different ways). As you can tell by the attachment, which is only the first two pages out of the 17-page document I created for myself, the numbering came in real handy, not only to keep track and pace myself while creating the document, since the Bus Operator 4600 thread is very lengthy, but to also refer to the "specific" post later on in the event something happened, such as a typo error, or if I read something and I don't understand it since it's out of context, etc. This also came in handy when some of the 'new' members would ask the same question over and over again - I would just open up my word document, find the original post, quote it and finished!!

That's one of the big things I'm going to miss...

sample.pdf

I think my biggest pet peeve is that there seems to be random things all about for no particular reason.  As I said, it's like going from Windows XP which was wonderful to Windows 7, where everything was purposely moved around making the experience so frustrating and annoying.  Somehow this needs to go into the Windows 10 experience, which is like Windows XP upgraded. If anyone uses Windows, they know exactly what I'm talking about.  There's quite a few other things gone here too from what I see and some of it doesn't make sense to be frank.

One thing I don't get is if you look at the latest post in say the Bus thread in the general thread, you click on the Bus Thread and then you can't find that particular thread.  I'm like what happened to it?? lol

Friends / Followers
Instead of friends, IPS4 features followers. A member now has the ability to follow another member without that being automatically reciprocal. You have the option of converting friends to followers, but please beware that this option may result in undesired notifications based on new content from followed members and we do NOT recommend you opt to convert. Would you like to convert friends data?

@Union Tpke We decided to take their recommendation and not convert friends to followers.  Sorry.