Exam 7609: Transit Electrical Helper

Jeffrey7492

Good afternoon,

About 8 months ago I applied for the transit electrical helper position. Today, I went into 180 Livingston for a safety proficiency assessment, oral comprehension and oral expression exam. I was also fingerprinted and told HR will be in contact with me for further notice. I know it’s very hard to tell, and also a very long waiting process, but does anybody know what to expect next? I am a little confused because I haven’t taken a civil service exam for this. Is that not required for this position?  Also, will the hiring process be easier for me considering I am a active Union electrician for the city? Thank you in advance for any help & information. Much appreciated.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also went for electrical helper SPA a few days ago. I don't think that fingerprinting was part of a background check, its just something they do for every "exam", even though (as you pointed out) there was no multiple-choice test. the notice of examination said that we're judged based on "education and experience" only. it is strange indeed. at least your experience is solid.

Sadly, I don't have any new information to share, just waiting for a call back. I'd prefer this position over any other exam i've applied to in the past 2 years.

That NOE also said that people will only be called for SPA as vacancies occur, so maybe thats a good sign, however, I found that they used that language on other exams so don't know for sure.

Did anyone else hear anything about this exam?

• 1 month later...

Went for pre-employment for 7609 and a drug test yesterday, came in with a filled out employment history which they glanced over. Was given a 21 page booklet to fill out at home. Was told they'll be in touch.

Just though I'd provide an update.

• +Young+ changed the title to Exam 7609: Transit Electrical Helper
  • +Young+ pinned this topic

Does anyone have a black page from there application in which they ask for you employment history? Because they said to put the jobs in reverse order but I put then in order from when I first started working till now. Do y'all think I'll be disqualified if I did this ? 

No, it shouldn't matter, at least that's what they told us during pre-employment.

Btw, it might be helpful to know for those waiting, I received my conditional offer of employment email just 2 days after pre-employment, going in on the 1st for final processing with a start date of Nov 6th.

Ok I'm going to stop letting it get to me I wil just go on Thursday and see what happens and I'm still in the process of obtaining my driving license so it won't be that long anyways thank you Jake for responding 

On 10/28/2017 at 9:15 PM, jake3178 said:

I believe temporary means it'll be a one year probation period before you are considered a permanent employee.

As per the Probation Officer...

Temporary means "Temporary for six months", upon which your performance will be reviewed and unless adverse reports are submitted, you will be temporary for another 6 months.

According to what i gleamed from the union, Transit Electrical Helper is a PROVISIONAL position.  If you get "drafted" from this list into Signal Maintainer Trainee, congratulations, you are a permanent employee provided you pass probation, and subsequently get promoted to the Signal Maintainer without having to take a test upon completion of your "trainee service".   According to Signal Maintainer Trainees I've talked to, they have to learn about flagging and eventually do flagging in the tunnels.

I know Light Maintainers, Electronic Equipment Maintainers, and All Transit Electro-Mechanical Maintainers MUST pass a practical test to be an eligible candidate for a permanent position.

Regarding having a Driver License, you must have one by the time you are appointed, and it must be maintained for the duration of this position.

I got a letter for pre-employment for signal maintainer, I took the test in april 2017 and got a letter oct 2017 ..I passed the practical and on the letter I see there is a list# of 11*, the letter states "temporary" is this because the list isn't established as yet? I took my first drug test 2 weeks ago

Edited by tprashad0719

18 hours ago, jake3178 said:

No, it shouldn't matter, at least that's what they told us during pre-employment.

Btw, it might be helpful to know for those waiting, I received my conditional offer of employment email just 2 days after pre-employment, going in on the 1st for final processing with a start date of Nov 6th.

What was your listing number if you remember 

Temporary mainly because the official list is not certified and published.  There is a strong need for people.

Don't confuse the wording too much, a temporary signal maintainer trainee is still temporary until otherwise notified.  Unless your current job is all unicorns and rainbows, I would suggest asking for a leave of absence and try out the temporary position.

ive been on my current job for 11 years, they don't give leave of absence here which sucks, but its a chance I might have to take, the main thing is that I passed the practical exam , just got to be a temp in the mean time and pass probation..i am sure with a list# 11* I should be ok