Exam 7609: Transit Electrical Helper

Jeffrey7492

6 hours ago, Byrd said:

how long does it take to be employed  

Hard question to answer.  Some people waited 4 years to be called.  I got called in 9 months.  There is a big push right now and they need people so it could be a lot faster than normal.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey. I know this topic has been dead for some time but I assume some of you may have been hired. I took Exam 4607 and deferred two times and now am thinking of taking the position. It is for Electrical Helper Signals 01-F (I believe that’s the correct title). I held off on the class starting this coming Monday the 19th since there is another in April.

I have some questions that if you guys could answer or give your opinion, I’d really appreciate it. 

The starting pay on this job is $21.40 something. It goes into effect on the 16th. I currently make $25 an hour with a raise due in April at my commercial electrician job. My biggest concern is the paycut and not being able to pay the rent and bills. Its been weighing on my quite heavy. I know the benefits and 401k are a no brainer, but  I’m more worried about the now. I’ve looked on the seethroughny site to see the salaries of this position and the numbers are mind blowing. Top guy pulled in 100k at $22 p/h.

Is the overtime there for the taking? Also, I assume like everyone else, nobody really wants to be working 60 or 80 hours a week and neither do I. How much of your paycheck comes out for health ins., and other benefits? I guess I’m just looking for an inside perspective to help put my worries aside. Lastly, new hires, should I expect to work at night or does everyone start off with a 7-9am start once training is over? I thank you in advance for your answers.

I recommend you take the job ...... Bc you will be coming in as permanent status. The over time is there..... most of the people in my class took a pay cut and we are doing just fine. And remember top pay for an helper is 30 an hour after 6 years which by the time you hit 6 years it will be higher. Their is also room to move up in the company. Which would be an maintainer. Whose starting salary is 31 and obviously goes up.... the decision is yours 

8 hours ago, Wingz said:

I recommend you take the job ...... Bc you will be coming in as permanent status. The over time is there..... most of the people in my class took a pay cut and we are doing just fine. And remember top pay for an helper is 30 an hour after 6 years which by the time you hit 6 years it will be higher. Their is also room to move up in the company. Which would be an maintainer. Whose starting salary is 31 and obviously goes up.... the decision is yours 

Thank you. How long til you can take maintainer test? I already have 5+ electrical experience under my belt but I’m sure it means nothing over there. I am leaning towards accepting for the class in April. 

You can take the open competitive that’s coming out..... and once in the mta system you can take the promo ..... it says you need to be off probation..... but by the time they give the test and grade the test .... you should be off of probation 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 12:03 PM, GerardL said:

Hey. I know this topic has been dead for some time but I assume some of you may have been hired. I took Exam 4607 and deferred two times and now am thinking of taking the position. It is for Electrical Helper Signals 01-F (I believe that’s the correct title). I held off on the class starting this coming Monday the 19th since there is another in April.

I have some questions that if you guys could answer or give your opinion, I’d really appreciate it. 

The starting pay on this job is $21.40 something. It goes into effect on the 16th. I currently make $25 an hour with a raise due in April at my commercial electrician job. My biggest concern is the paycut and not being able to pay the rent and bills. Its been weighing on my quite heavy. I know the benefits and 401k are a no brainer, but  I’m more worried about the now. I’ve looked on the seethroughny site to see the salaries of this position and the numbers are mind blowing. Top guy pulled in 100k at $22 p/h.

Is the overtime there for the taking? Also, I assume like everyone else, nobody really wants to be working 60 or 80 hours a week and neither do I. How much of your paycheck comes out for health ins., and other benefits? I guess I’m just looking for an inside perspective to help put my worries aside. Lastly, new hires, should I expect to work at night or does everyone start off with a 7-9am start once training is over? I thank you in advance for your answers.

You took a test? It wasent just your resume and experience?

hey guys, I applied for exam 8606 transit electrical helper in OCT 2017 and received a letter today for the same thing, the application was based on experience and education where there was no exam giving, is this job safe to proceed ? its for a "provisional" position and I am currently working at in my job for over 10 years now so its hard to make the move for a "provisional"

Moussaberte, why take the exam again if your already in?

2 hours ago, tprashad0719 said:

hey guys, I applied for exam 8606 transit electrical helper in OCT 2017 and received a letter today for the same thing, the application was based on experience and education where there was no exam giving, is this job safe to proceed ? its for a "provisional" position and I am currently working at in my job for over 10 years now so its hard to make the move for a "provisional"

What did you receive a letter for? Im reading the Notice of Examination for 8606, but I dont see anything saying it was provisional. 

my thing is this, I applied for exam 8606 as an "experience and education" application vs taking an exam for this...got a letter yesterday to come in 3/25/18 which is a SUNDAY? for a oral communication test , ( they just want to see if you know English) this is for a provisional position , would this ever change to Permanent?  do we get a list # from this ? I paid $61 for this application just like any other exam vs resume

I also passed the signal maintainer exam and was called in for a drug test in oct 2017 but never heard anything back, when I called they now telling me there taking people from the old list , so that was just a waste of my time

Congrats on making some headway. Im just confused about the provisional part. I guess you will find out more when you get down there. I think they will offer you a permanent spot down the line, don't know when. I also applied back in NOV 2017, haven't heard anything yet.  Im just taking a guess, would a provisional spot even give you a list number, I don't even know.  Keep me posted on whats happening. Im waiting myself.

10 hours ago, tprashad0719 said:

I got the same letter today. I already started another job, so I will pass on this.

I don't do drugs , I would like to know what kind of drug test is given ? I ask that because I usually sport a bald head . I went in for NYPD School Safety drug test and was told to come back in a month  when I grow some hair . So I'm asking is the drug test urine or hair samples ? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Soup said:

I don't do drugs , I would like to know what kind of drug test is given ? I ask that because I usually sport a bald head . I went in for NYPD School Safety drug test and was told to come back in a month  when I grow some hair . So I'm asking is the drug test urine or hair samples ? Thanks 

Urine Test on first visit..

On 3/8/2018 at 8:14 AM, tprashad0719 said:

Well because I'm hired provisonalyand even thoughwe were told that once the list gets approved by dcas we will become permenate I don' wanna take that risk and I'll rather take an actual exam in case they want to lay people off that way I'll be on another exam list 

even if you take this other exam in July you will be hired as provisional, the education and experience is the same thing as you taking the exam "multiple choice"  both you get a list # when established, if I was you I would take this signal maintainer exam that is currently out now and work as a helper in the mean time ..look at provisional as probation time that's all, I hardly heard of MTA laying off people

4 hours ago, tprashad0719 said:

even if you take this other exam in July you will be hired as provisional, the education and experience is the same thing as you taking the exam "multiple choice"  both you get a list # when established, if I was you I would take this signal maintainer exam that is currently out now and work as a helper in the mean time ..look at provisional as probation time that's all, I hardly heard of MTA laying off people

Yea I'm going to apply for the signal mantiner exam I think you do it over mail and I know it might be the same but according to some guys they are guys that have been provisinal for years because they haven't took a test so that' where I'm like damn let me just be sure