Exam 7609: Transit Electrical Helper

Jeffrey7492

1 minute ago, Dave2836 said:

Who says the MTA doesn't make exceptions?  You got invited to pre-employment, and eventually final processing.  At training and on the road everyone will tell you the same phrases "It's your job to lose", or "You fire yourself".

Follow the rules, learn the job, be ready to take every test.

If you still have doubts, then there are two options for you:

1) Take the job and see what it's all about.

2) Don't take the job and wait for the certified list to come out and come back to this thread to ask the same questions and have the same doubts again.

No I'm taking the job if I get a offer because I don' really have as much worry because I'm going for signals and that becomes a permanent position with no test and what not but I was asking for clarification considering that most people who tend to this trend have questions.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do understand some of the fear that is going around, it would be easy for someone who is living with there parents to take the chance and then there is people who pay rent or morgages that don't want to chance it, its a chance your taking but don't make yourself regret it with the should of, could of crap, just do what you have to do

BTW I pay mortgage with kids, I am about to leave a job I been on for 12 + years with pension and benefits

Also how can we be on probation for 1 year if provisonals last 9 months?  Dosent that mean those 9 months don' apply to us mean8ng that provisonals and temps are different also is the transit electrical helper test that we took a competitive position?

Edited by moussaberte

On 11/7/2017 at 11:45 AM, tprashad0719 said:

I do understand some of the fear that is going around, it would be easy for someone who is living with there parents to take the chance and then there is people who pay rent or morgages that don't want to chance it, its a chance your taking but don't make yourself regret it with the should of, could of crap, just do what you have to do

BTW I pay mortgage with kids, I am about to leave a job I been on for 12 + years with pension and benefits

I know the feeling.  No kids, but rent and leaving a stable 12+ yr job with pension and 401k...  one of the most difficult decisions of my life.

I visit the old office, I see how miserable it is over there now.  Don't regret the move.  It will be overwhelming at first, adapting to a new culture, but after the first year, I see the light.

When you decide, whatever you decide, do it for the right reasons.  Get days off when you need them, decent pension, no glass ceiling as long as you apply yourself to the best of your ability, free tutoring for yourself or your kids through the union connections... there are programs down here people don't take advantage of.  

On 11/6/2017 at 5:39 PM, jake3178 said:

At 8am I went to 195 montague st for 1st day orientation, maybe 200 people, different titles, about 30 electrical helpers, bunch of speakers from various departments, nothing too memorable.. signed up for 401k, waiting to hear about TWU dental plan tomorrow, was also issued a pass / metrocard. Left by 4pm.

I got the call today. Any updates jake?

7 hours ago, Wingz said:

Was it a phone call, email, message , mail...... Bc I didn't hear anything and I went in on November 1.... So hopefully soon

Yea I went October 31 so hopefully soon and it was a call from a gut he said that a class was coming up and asked would I be inteested in being in that class I said yes and he said great that I'll be go my in for final processing Thursday November 16 and for me to keep a look out for a email coming Monday.

15 hours ago, moussaberte said:

I got the call today. Any updates jake?

Congrats, when do you come in for pre-employment? Our class is in its 3rd day, it's one month long, they said next class will follow us, I guess you'll make that class. So far we got boots, PPE gear, some material. Didn't really learn anything just yet.. due to all the paperwork / union speeches / general info. But it's a good atmosphere, glad I'm here.

6 hours ago, jake3178 said:

Congrats, when do you come in for pre-employment? Our class is in its 3rd day, it's one month long, they said next class will follow us, I guess you'll make that class. So far we got boots, PPE gear, some material. Didn't really learn anything just yet.. due to all the paperwork / union speeches / general info. But it's a good atmosphere, glad I'm here.

Good to hear that everything' good and I go in for pre mployment on Thursday and I have a start date of December 6 can' wait and jack keep us updated man.

8 hours ago, Wingz said:

Congrats and thanks for the heads up ...... I am going to keep on the look out 

Yea I was as worried as you but I guess all we really have to do is wait as long as you pass the drug test I don' think you'l have a worry 

So here is an update after 1 week of signals helper school.

Temp/Provisional.  Only until they generate the list for 7609.  Education Experience test was your civil service test.  Once they make the list you will be hired permanent off that list.  They are hiring a LOT of people.

So all good there.

Instructors are very nice people.  Make you feel at ease.  Very good atmosphere.  So glad I jumped in.   

On 11/8/2017 at 7:46 PM, gotransit said:

I filled out the Transit Electrical Helper #8606 in Oct. The deadline was Oct.24th. I will let you guys know what happens.

It was 7 months that I waited.  Then all of a sudden you get an email to show up for the Saftey Proficiency Exam.  Once you get called for that you are on your way.  About a month and a half from when you take that test at 180 Livingston Street

47 minutes ago, Farjo33 said:

So here is an update after 1 week of signals helper school.

Temp/Provisional.  Only until they generate the list for 7609.  Education Experience test was your civil service test.  Once they make the list you will be hired permanent off that list.  They are hiring a LOT of people.

So all good there.

Instructors are very nice people.  Make you feel at ease.  Very good atmosphere.  So glad I jumped in.   

So let' say I'm already working and the list comes out and people start getting hired from that list is there a possibility that I might lose my job if I'm not high on that list?

6 hours ago, moussaberte said:

So let' say I'm already working and the list comes out and people start getting hired from that list is there a possibility that I might lose my job if I'm not high on that list?

I would never say something is possible.  What I will say is I think it's highly unlikely.  Even if for some crazy reason they didn't get to your number, no I don't think they let you go from what I hear down there.  I don't think the MTA gonna put the time and effort into hiring somebody they feel is qualified and then spend the money to train that person just to send them packing for no reason at all.  Would almost be counter productive to why they are doing all this in the first place.  The Union and one of the instructors both said there have been "provisionals" that stayed provisional for 20 years down here.

So I would never say it's not possible because I am in no position to do so.  I would say it's not probable.  I am in that position myself and I no longer have the fear and the worry that I had before.  That's the best answer I could give you.  I think at this point it's all on me if I want to stay employed by the MTA.  Im good with that.

58 minutes ago, Farjo33 said:

I would never say something is possible.  What I will say is I think it's highly unlikely.  Even if for some crazy reason they didn't get to your number, no I don't think they let you go from what I hear down there.  I don't think the MTA gonna put the time and effort into hiring somebody they feel is qualified and then spend the money to train that person just to send them packing for no reason at all.  Would almost be counter productive to why they are doing all this in the first place.  The Union and one of the instructors both said there have been "provisionals" that stayed provisional for 20 years down here.

So I would never say it's not possible because I am in no position to do so.  I would say it's not probable.  I am in that position myself and I no longer have the fear and the worry that I had before.  That's the best answer I could give you.  I think at this point it's all on me if I want to stay employed by the MTA.  Im good with that.

Alright thanks man you really answered my question I apprecate that.

33 minutes ago, Wingz said:

Hey moussaberte.... Did you ever receive that email...... Bc I'm still waiting patiently... For any type of notification

Yea I got the email on Monday to go on Thursday and I don' think you should worry tbh because it took like 2 and a half weeks for me to be called and I read somewhere that some guy got called close to 90 days so no worry man although I'm nervou because on my 21 page booklet I made some mistakes.