Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey7492

Exam 7609: Transit Electrical Helper

Recommended Posts

those guys who say they never took a test are the ones who came in by resume , they HAVE to pass the test in order to become permanent, some guys are just not cut out for exams and got to comfortable as a provisional, so if you pass your exam or even get a list# from education and experience your still above them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my oral communication safety test for Electrical Helper #8606 on 3/25/18.. Pretty easy test, took about 20 minutes. I really think I passed the test but after the test nobody told me anything. Did anyone else take this safety test? Does anyone know what happens next? Or how long the process takes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tprashad0719 said:

those guys who say they never took a test are the ones who came in by resume , they HAVE to pass the test in order to become permanent, some guys are just not cut out for exams and got to comfortable as a provisional, so if you pass your exam or even get a list# from education and experience your still above them

If I went in for a safety assessment test for Electrical Helper how long does it usually take to get a call back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 12:07 AM, shopwitvel said:

Took my oral communication safety test for Electrical Helper #8606 on 3/25/18.. Pretty easy test, took about 20 minutes. I really think I passed the test but after the test nobody told me anything. Did anyone else take this safety test? Does anyone know what happens next? Or how long the process takes? 

Yeah I took the test took me about 1 month to be called for a drug test and some more time after for final processing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went in on Friday for Medical. Waiting for call for final processing. Have to pass their background check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GerardL said:

I went in on Friday for Medical. Waiting for call for final processing. Have to pass their background check.

When did you take your safty test?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shopwitvel said:

When did you take your safty test?

When I first got called 2 years ago. I went in once and did safety test but then deferred after that. Never did it again. Can’t go by me. I’m off of list 4607 and deferred twice. I have a record and waiting to see what happens this week after being declared qualified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm at day 37 after the Safety Assessment . . . still awaiting a letter to say Yes or no . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2017 at 12:27 PM, Dave2836 said:

The practical comes when you apply for the promotion or open competitive position for either light maintainer, transit electromechanical maintainer (E&E or V&D), power distribution, power maintainer, eletronic equipment maintainer, or telephone maintainer.  Those are permanent positions.

Little tidbit, if you have not been drafted into Signal Maintainer Trainee, you have the opportunity to get into Elevator and Escalator.  Elevator and escalator SPECIALIST is one of the highest paying hourly positions in Transit.

Electronic Equipment Maintainer is also another well paying position.

How does one get "drafted" into Signal Maintainer Trainee ? Is it by experience ? list number ? Do they tell you they are selecting you for that position or is that a position that one had to actually apply for ? Are they drafting from the Electr Helper Signals pool ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Soup said:

How does one get "drafted" into Signal Maintainer Trainee ? Is it by experience ? list number ? Do they tell you they are selecting you for that position or is that a position that one had to actually apply for ? Are they drafting from the Electr Helper Signals pool ? 

From my understanding, it depends on hiring needs.  The NOE mentions that the TEH eligibles can also be used to fulfill the vacancies in the signals department.

Met a few Signal Maintainers who mentioned they had came out of the TEH list 2 years ago.  From the way they talked about it, it seems like they didn't have a choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 11:00 AM, moussaberte said:

Guys don't worry the process for me dident take long

Hey Moussaberte , Have you started school yet ? If so , how long is the school and where are the classes located ? Did you or anyone else get drafted for Signal Maintainer Trainee ? Do they ask or allow you guys to pick which division ( Power , Telephone, Elevator & Escalator , etc ) you will be assigned to ? Any info would be greatly appreciated ,Thanks .

Edited by Soup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Soup said:

Hey Moussaberte , Have you started school yet ? If so , how long is the school and where are the classes located ? Did you or anyone else get drafted for Signal Maintainer Trainee ? Do they ask or allow you guys to pick which division ( Power , Telephone, Elevator & Escalator , etc ) you will be assigned to ? Any info would be greatly appreciated ,Thanks .

School is like a month I finished school in January the classes are at the signal school of you get drafted for signal maintainer trainee you should be happy because then your being trained to be a mantiner qnd not a helper just dont fail the school or else your out. No we dont choose it depends on where they need people at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ok , thanks . Do they ask which borough you want to work in or is it wherever they need you for the week ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Soup said:

Oh ok , thanks . Do they ask which borough you want to work in or is it wherever they need you for the week ?

 

Its wherever they need you but it's not for the week more like until theres another pick they'll explain all of that it's too much to type 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All my paperwork said Signals but my class went to Power. It sounds like they are hiring a lot of helpers. If you end up in Power, its either Brooklyn or Bronx, 8-4pm or 10pm-6am. They asked everyones preference in my class and we all lucked out and got what we wanted. Won’t be going out into the field for a while because most of the certification classes are behind. For me, so far so good, no complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GerardL said:

All my paperwork said Signals but my class went to Power. It sounds like they are hiring a lot of helpers. If you end up in Power, its either Brooklyn or Bronx, 8-4pm or 10pm-6am. They asked everyones preference in my class and we all lucked out and got what we wanted. Won’t be going out into the field for a while because most of the certification classes are behind. For me, so far so good, no complaints.

When you say “Won’t be going out into the field for a while because most of the certification classes are behind” does that mean it might take longer for us to get hired . I took drug test, waiting for whats next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shopwitvel said:

When you say “Won’t be going out into the field for a while because most of the certification classes are behind” does that mean it might take longer for us to get hired . I took drug test, waiting for whats next

No, not longer to get hired. After drug test, if you pass, you will come in for medical and you will be there all day, just an assortment of tests (EKG,lung capacity,eye,etc). After you pass all the medical, you will sit down with someone and they will do your paperwork and setup your orientation. You will probably report to 53rd street and will be there for about two weeks. Its a class to get you somewhat accustomed to what’s going on. You will also be going to other places like Coney Island Yard and PS 248. Track Safety and Fire Safety and Prevention. You’re 3rd week, you will usually report to another location. Since I’m in Power, I reported to Atlantic Avenue Cable Section. From here, my class was assigned where they were going and what shift. As far as being backed up, I still have to take Asbestos,Respirator,Confined Space,and Flagging before I can go into the field. Flagging is a 9 day class and the others vary between 2-5 days. I’m on Brooklyn days and everybodys cool and the way things operate here is pretty smooth.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 9:32 AM, GerardL said:

No, not longer to get hired. After drug test, if you pass, you will come in for medical and you will be there all day, just an assortment of tests (EKG,lung capacity,eye,etc). After you pass all the medical, you will sit down with someone and they will do your paperwork and setup your orientation. You will probably report to 53rd street and will be there for about two weeks. Its a class to get you somewhat accustomed to what’s going on. You will also be going to other places like Coney Island Yard and PS 248. Track Safety and Fire Safety and Prevention. You’re 3rd week, you will usually report to another location. Since I’m in Power, I reported to Atlantic Avenue Cable Section. From here, my class was assigned where they were going and what shift. As far as being backed up, I still have to take Asbestos,Respirator,Confined Space,and Flagging before I can go into the field. Flagging is a 9 day class and the others vary between 2-5 days. I’m on Brooklyn days and everybodys cool and the way things operate here is pretty smooth.

Yo G , how many people are in the initial class ? After they told you what section you are in ( Signals or Power ) , did you have a choice of what division you are working in ? ( as in elevator/escalator , telephone , sewage , etc ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 6:20 AM, Soup said:

Yo G , how many people are in the initial class ? After they told you what section you are in ( Signals or Power ) , did you have a choice of what division you are working in ? ( as in elevator/escalator , telephone , sewage , etc ) 

depends how many people they call..mine was only 10..you should know what section you are in the last day you go to 180 livingston..Signals is a section, Power is a section, System Operations, Test, Substations..may be one more but there’s no choice inside one of those..I’m in Power which is Cable Section and these guys make it seem the other sections aren’t as good.. others have rotating shifts while we have a set two days off..day crew has sunday monday and night crew has saturday sunday off..how far along are you guys right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got put on medical hold !  That stupid spirometer did me in . She did it 4 times , but twice she made me stop in the middle and kept saying I'm blowing wrong . SMH  The doctor tells me to go get a lung  x-ray and get another spirometer from my doctor . SUCKS ! I believe I can pass , it said I got a 62% and minimum is 75% . I told the doctor let me do it again and he declined . Oh well . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Elfrinz said:

I picked power today.  what exactly do you do G?

like i said earlier, won't be going out in the field for a while because of training classes but its running cable whether its telephone,fiber, or 2mil electrical cable..you want brooklyn or bronx and day or nights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.