Track Worker 8600 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.0146181ce93fa58744dcf143f3d1d7aa.png

Track Worker, Exam No. 8600

List Status:  This list has been established as of January 8, 2020.

Pay: Starts at $24.77 and increases to

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (3400's) - For Medical: (3500's)

Next Training Class:

Resources: 2016 Track Participants Safety Guide

Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process Topic

(Updated 4/18/2023)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, dman1455 said:

Its not just mabstoa, we got the system pick coming up and that involves everyone.

Hi! I have a few questions in regards to the track worker position. How does the pay periods work, do they pay you weekly or bi-weekly? And how is the work schedule, is it 5 days a week or less days and more hours to make up the 40 hour work week?

On 8/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, Blicky said:

I'm hearing on the news that they need 12billion to prevent budget cuts. I guess we're gonna be waiting even longer to get called off this list.

The financial ruin the MTA is experiencing right now definitely doesn’t help us with this list. I’m sure the headcount for Track Worker is way under 2,000 now as it was at 2,046 by the end of fiscal 2019 which was a little over a year ago and will only keep getting worse, especially with the union president mailing members about possible layoffs. Does this include MOW (Maintenance of Way), I’m not too entirely sure. This will encourage more people to retire though, who are eligible. 

4 minutes ago, Zoey said:

The financial ruin the MTA is experiencing right now definitely doesn’t help us with this list. I’m sure the headcount for Track Worker is way under 2,000 now as it was at 2,046 by the end of fiscal 2019 which was a little over a year ago and will only keep getting worse, especially with the union president mailing members about possible layoffs. Does this include MOW (Maintenance of Way), I’m not too entirely sure. This will encourage more people to retire though, who are eligible. 

Nobody in mow got any letters about any layoffs and there is currently 176 trackworker spot short of man power as right now 

26 minutes ago, Chris127 said:

Nobody in mow got any letters about any layoffs and there is currently 176 trackworker spot short of man power as right now 

The president on the local 100 website said members would be receiving letters about the current financial conditions of the MTA so I kind of figured everyone member would be getting them. Doubt there would be layoffs anyway.

Thanks for the update!!! 

Edited by Zoey

14 hours ago, Stephen K said:

Hi! I have a few questions in regards to the track worker position. How does the pay periods work, do they pay you weekly or bi-weekly? And how is the work schedule, is it 5 days a week or less days and more hours to make up the 40 hour work week?

Bi weekly on thursdays. 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. New hires will mostly be nights so 10pm to 6am or 11pm to 7am

Think there is suppose to be 1700 worker minimum, 2 workers per mile of track. Last seniority draft had us at 1900 on the dot, much more have since retired, went foreman or 3rd rail since than.

no word on any classes as of now, they are still hiring for other departments like bus operators but don’t think we’ll see any hiring off of this list for some time.

15 hours ago, Kidbx175 said:

For those down there, have you heard anything about an upcoming class? Seems like it’s been about 2 years since the last class. I could really use a new job right now.

Ive been ready as well since i was mailed my list number & i was actually excited because I have a really low number. But, after listening to the president of MTA go on national tv and say the things he said plus the current pandemic all of it is discouraging. Plus as I’m reading they are short of some track workers so at this point the way things are going there’s no telling when we’ll get called.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, 9thGenAccord said:

Ive been ready as well since i was mailed my list number & i was actually excited because I have a really low number. But, after listening to the president of MTA go on national tv and say the things he said plus the current pandemic all of it is discouraging. Plus as I’m reading they are short of some track workers so at this point the way things are going there’s no telling when we’ll get called.

The process takes a few years nothing happens overnight in this company but it will come around when you least expect it just keep your nose clean and be ready when they call 

10 hours ago, Queensqueens111 said:

i was in the 2600s on the last test list and it took 5 years to call me.

Was the wait worth it ? With the way things are , sometimes other opportunities may present themselves or different career paths. Im sure that can happen with many of us, from your perspective, is the wait worth it?

19 hours ago, Rj617 said:

Was the wait worth it ? With the way things are , sometimes other opportunities may present themselves or different career paths. Im sure that can happen with many of us, from your perspective, is the wait worth it?

For me personally yes, I didn’t expect to get called. I probably only got called due to the sap program. But it was an immediate $7 pay raise for me so it was a no brainer to jump on.

there will be layoffs or furloughs and it will likely affect track/MOW if and only if they cut an entire line of service and there are no trains moving on the given  tracks.  If that happens they will furlough or layoff trackworkers...so thats the sign. As far as warning, MOW is horrible about givening notice about anything... there are plentity of times where i had qualification appointments given to me with one day notice. They dont care and they are incompetant about it. 

On 9/1/2020 at 11:45 AM, Stephen K said:

biweekly. 6am-2pm, 7a-3pm, 3pm-11pm, 10pm-6am, 11pm-7am, 12mid- 8 am.. Sun, Mon... nights means ur off from saturday morning to monday night, Fri Sat.....nights means ur off thurs morning to satuday night... sat/sun for day crew, and other days off as well, On nights tracks calender day is actually the date after.. so if u come in  on monday july 3 at 10pm..., ur acutally day of duty is tues july 4... 40 HR WEEK, 8hrs and day.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, Rj617 said:

depends, i previously worked for HRA making 40k a year setting an office, 1st year i went up 55k, now im over 80k base. financially its worth it... but if i could make same money doing what i did in HRA i would go back.

24 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Source?

This is not accurate i personally spoke to management and general superintendents and they both said that pat Foye is speaking this way because transit is asking for it’s second bail out and by getting this is one by saying there won’t be enough workers to move the city that is all politics

3 hours ago, ace123 said:

there will be layoffs or furloughs and it will likely affect track/MOW if and only if they cut an entire line of service and there are no trains moving on the given  tracks.  If that happens they will furlough or layoff trackworkers...so thats the sign. As far as warning, MOW is horrible about givening notice about anything... there are plentity of times where i had qualification appointments given to me with one day notice. They dont care and they are incompetant about it. 

Stop fearmongering, it's all political tactics, go look in the T/O and Conductor threads, they have classes going to start as we speak. Until you hear from Carlos Albert, or Utano that we're getting laid off, stop assuming, and listening to the news networks.

If it were to happen provisional appointments would be the first to go, ( in any department ) and more than likely they would try and force people out who are already past the retirement plateau e.g. lifers. Now if I wanted to fearmonger, I would say if you have 2 years or less I'd worry. But don't until  the union tells you otherwise.

They have to maintain the FRA mandate of 2200-2500 Trackworkers on the job. Now could they do a hiring freeze ? Quite possibly, but again 180 Livingston is open, and they are processing folks in other titles. So do the math.

Remember the " so called layoffs " would happen across all MTA agencies as a whole, MNRR, LIRR, NYCTA, SIRR, MTBTA etc. There's allot of white collar fat that would get trimmed as well.

1 hour ago, Chris127 said:

This is not accurate i personally spoke to management and general superintendents and they both said that pat Foye is speaking this way because transit is asking for it’s second bail out and by getting this is one by saying there won’t be enough workers to move the city that is all politics

Thank You.

Edited by SteveNYC

1 hour ago, SteveNYC said:

Stop fearmongering, it's all political tactics, go look in the T/O and Conductor threads, they have classes going to start as we speak. Until you hear from Carlos Albert, or Utano that we're getting laid off, stop assuming, and listening to the news networks.

If it were to happen provisional appointments would be the first to go, ( in any department ) and more than likely they would try and force people out who are already past the retirement plateau e.g. lifers. Now if I wanted to fearmonger, I would say if you have 2 years or less I'd worry. But don't until  the union tells you otherwise.

They have to maintain the FRA mandate of 2200-2500 Trackworkers on the job. Now could they do a hiring freeze ? Quite possibly, but again 180 Livingston is open, and they are processing folks in other titles. So do the math.

Remember the " so called layoffs " would happen across all MTA agencies as a whole, MNRR, LIRR, NYCTA, SIRR, MTBTA etc. There's allot of white collar fat that would get trimmed as well.

Thank You.

I was going through the forums and I found your comment to be the most relevant one in regards to the answer Im looking for. you mentioned they have classes that are about to start... you think transit electrical helper classes will start soon or started already? and are transit electrical helpers also part of the track worker group of people,  I ask bc I have friends who are electrical helpers and I be seeing pics of them in the tracks. My concern is Im supposed to be in the next transit electrical helper class but haven't heard anything. Sorry if my post is unrelated to the topic and thank you in advance for any information that you can provide. 

Alex

I don't know if you took exam 9624, or 8611link is below if you're interested.

Exam 9624 

Exam 8611

As far as who we work along side with, signal, power distribution, structure would be the top 3. In the structure departments could be either masons, carpenters, lighting, or  plumbers. I haven't heard anything in regards to your question, but as I mentioned above the TA is hiring folks, maybe not in the masses it was pre COVID, but they are hiring nonetheless. Good luck to you.

Edited by SteveNYC

4 hours ago, Chris127 said:

This is not accurate i personally spoke to management and general superintendents...

3 hours ago, SteveNYC said:

Stop fearmongering, it's all political tactics...

Although the employees of NYC Transit are covered by the TWU, one of the other websites which I periodically check out is the Organization of Staff Analysts. If you check out their Weekly Newsline, they also mention that "there is no news of layoffs being scheduled." Therefore, I agree with what @Chris127 and @SteveNYC said.

59 minutes ago, Alex138 said:

yeah I took exam 8611and thank you for your help lol I just need them to hire one more group ill most likely be in it 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Offhand, if you check out the Civil Service List Certification webpage, if you type "Transit Electrical Helper" into the search box, you know that, back on August 26th, the agency requested 500 names to fill 25 vacancies, right?

Therefore, depending on your list number, you'll probably make it in - you just need to have some patience, that's all.

Utano never mentioned layoffs, just that there may be some sacrifices. He only said this to make members aware of the dire situation. No layoffs. Terminations, resignations, and retirements with T/W will continue as it has been since 2018 with no new hires. Next year, headcount will start to hit the 1800-1700's if my prediction is right, and hiring will restart as it did with 3600. You just don't know how many guys are leaving or are planning on leaving. It takes a long time but patience. With COVID, this exam will just be extended so I wouldn't sweat it.