Track Worker 8600 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.0146181ce93fa58744dcf143f3d1d7aa.png

Track Worker, Exam No. 8600

List Status:  This list has been established as of January 8, 2020.

Pay: Starts at $24.77 and increases to

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (3400's) - For Medical: (3500's)

Next Training Class:

Resources: 2016 Track Participants Safety Guide

Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process Topic

(Updated 4/18/2023)

Just applied. Had a friend who became a track worker on the last exam. Hate rats but I guess it's something you get used to. Along with this, mta bus operator, and the train operator that I singed up for the mta is making bank.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys. So I'm going to apply for this. I don't mind getting dirty. I used to work plumbing here and there.  So the test is around april. When can you guesstimate that they will start calling up?  Are they still calling from 3600 list?  It looks like they lowered the requirements for this job.  I know this is hard work. Can anyone explain how training is like?  And how old is too old for this kind of work? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Moody said:

Hey guys. So I'm going to apply for this...When can you guesstimate that they will start calling up?  Are they still calling from 3600 list?

For 3600, the exam was given in April of 2013 and the list was published 18 months later in October of 2014. Keep in mind that there is a promotional exam as well, so if I had to take an educated guess, I would say anywhere from 2 to 3 years, depending on that promotional list.

Yes, they are still calling from the 3600 list. Out of the 12,497 people on the list, I'm in the 2800's and waiting to go down to Livingston Street for the first drug test.

As far as the training, I would encourage you to go through this thread, however,from what I've read so far, it's in a classroom and in the field, at a train yard. You get quizzes/exams, but as long as you pay attention, concentrate and study, you should be fine.

1 hour ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Just curious is this exam something u have to study for to know tools etc? Also what range of score do u need to get called? 

If you look at the third & fourth pages of the Notice of Examination, it mentions nothing about tools. Although we are about 6 months away from taking this exam, if I was you, match the topics that are going to be on the exam (memorization, visualization, written comprehension, written expression, etc.) with this & this NYPD Test Preparation Kits (the answers are on the last page of each PDF document). To this date, I have not found a test prep book for Track Worker, Bus Operator, or any other MTA/NYC Transit title that contains a memorization portion/section.

As far as range of score, ideally the goal is to get as high of a score as possible. If you're looking for specific numbers, unfortunately I can't help you out for the following reasons:

a) The last exam was 40 questions with no memorization portion and, as you can see here, about 12,500 people passed, in which about 25% of those people, including myself, got a 95% or better. Now if they gave the same 40 question exam plus a 10 question memorization portion, not only would the list not be as big, but not as many people would have scored a 90% or better, in which only "the best of the best" would get called first.

b) As you probably heard in the news, and in this article, the MTA plans on hiring a lot of track workers, for a total of about 3,000, to fix the 100+ year old system. Because of this, they're going to go move through the current list at a much more rapid pace. Now if the system was in a "good" shape of repair and not as many people were entering retirement, nor if they were going to pull people out of the Track Worker title for the Foreman position, then they would not move through the list as fast.

Now there are probably some people out there who will disagree with me and say that "You need a 95 or better" to get called or something to that nature. If that is the case, then I propose to you the following question:

If you look at the Notice of Examinations (NOE) for Exam 3600 & Exam 8600, why are there twelve (12) different abilities listed in the NOE for Exam 8600, when there was only one [1] ability listed in the NOE for Exam 3600? Just some food for thought...

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

43 minutes ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Thanks a lot very informative. Do you know the window time they call is it like a 2-5 year weight or its just until the list expires? 

Well, the current open-competitive list is set to expire in October of 2018, which I personally think they're going to extend by at least a year (October 2019). After that, they will move on to the Promotional List for Track Worker, followed by the list generated by this exam.

Therefore, depending on how long the promotional list is, and how fast they move through that list, I would say at least 2 1/2 years, maybe three. It all depends on how many people are taking the promotional exam, how many people pass it, and how fast they move through that list.

• 3 months later...

Since this is already up I figure I would ask here. As far as getting selected for the position what would one want to highlight at the interview? Not entirely sure how the MTA  works with this so by (interview) I mean  when they call me up to come down to Livingston. Thanks

18 hours ago, bimmer4me said:

Since this is already up I figure I would ask here. As far as getting selected for the position what would one want to highlight at the interview? Not entirely sure how the MTA  works with this so by (interview) I mean  when they call me up to come down to Livingston. Thanks

17 hours ago, bimmer4me said:

Also wondering what the average age of people who are getting on. Probably ranges a lot since no limit right?

I'm not 100% sure about the age, however, keep in mind that unlike the private sector, in which you have to submit a resume followed by an interview, for civil service, you're hired from a list. Which means that, from NYC Transit's perspective (long story short), once you pass the drug test and medical, you're basically hired. There is a small "interview" for final processing, however, when getting processed for Bus Operator back in 2014, I did not wear a tie nor a suit nor have my resume. I dressed nicely, the interviewer entered me into payroll, gave me everything I needed, and that was it.

Great I gotcha. Looking forward to this exam. I wonder how they get to work if they live  in SI or out of the city. I imagine there is some sort of meeting point where you clock in or something and go from there. Maybe someone knows.

Edited by bimmer4me

23 minutes ago, bimmer4me said:

Great I gotcha. Looking forward to this exam. I wonder how they get to work if they live in SI or out of the city. I imagine there is some sort of meeting point where you clock in or something and go from there. Maybe someone knows.

Let's take the test, and get our list numbers first. You're getting too ahead of yourself for something that's not going to happen for at least 18 months (trust me).

Edited by +Young+

• 1 month later...

So in today's mail I got two - yes, two admission letters, one on white paper, the other one on blue paper, for Exam 8600 on Sunday, April 8th, 2018 at 2:30 PM at Midwood High School in Brooklyn. Anybody else get their admission letter?

Good luck studying!!

2 hours ago, Rveloce7 said:

My letter came yesterday too, unopened. There was only one admission letter though. I’m on the 22nd of April.

I think  we have the same testing date. It wasn't opened like someone did it but more realistically just wasn't stuck to begin with.  We should be fine. Curious to how the other poster got two papers though.

Edited by bimmer4me

Is there any additional information about the test besides what’s on the Notice of Examination, like a study guide? I’ve read that this test will be different so any study guides for previous tests might be no good.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, bimmer4me said:

Curious to how the other poster got two papers though.

I think someone at 180 Livingston Street made a mistake - I'm just going to bring both to be on the safe side. That's all.

5 hours ago, LES1985 said:

Is there any additional information about the test besides what’s on the Notice of Examination, like a study guide? I’ve read that this test will be different so any study guides for previous tests might be no good.

From taking several civil service examinations, there is no other additional information. As far as a study guide, I would recommend this NYPD Test Prep Kit. Providing you don't cheat yourself, this covers most of the topics that are included in the Notice of Examination, including the memory portion.

On 3/3/2018 at 11:29 AM, LES1985 said:

When I took the conductor exam I bought a passbook. Literally NOTHING in this passbook helped with the exam. The exam consisted of basic questions most of which were  procedure based if I am recalling correctly. Where did you read this test will be different?