Track Worker 8600 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.0146181ce93fa58744dcf143f3d1d7aa.png

Track Worker, Exam No. 8600

List Status:  This list has been established as of January 8, 2020.

Pay: Starts at $24.77 and increases to

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (3400's) - For Medical: (3500's)

Next Training Class:

Resources: 2016 Track Participants Safety Guide

Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process Topic

(Updated 4/18/2023)

On 3/6/2018 at 12:52 PM, Jperez94m said:

I received my admission letter to Track Worker Exam #8600 on Saturday, April 7th, 2018 at Franklin K. Lane. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! 

Hey,

I just finished my exam for track worker exam number - 8600 in the 8:30am session. I must say, it was a very simple/easy exam. Again, good luck too ALL! 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Jperez94m said:

Hey,

I just finished my exam for track worker exam number - 8600 in the 8:30am session. I must say, it was a very simple/easy exam. Again, good luck too ALL! 

Did you write your answers down ?

3 hours ago, Kidbx175 said:

Hey I just finished my exam for track worker exam number - 8600 am sessio. Franklin k lane highschool. 

Can anyone that has written their exam scores down tel me what you got for questions #13,40,63,77,80 ? Thanks

It's not advisable to share answers to the exam. It may lead to you being disqualified.

1 hour ago, Kidbx175 said:

Did you write your answers down ?

Yes, I did. I was told in the past, if a large amount of people from the exam location get the same answer wrong. It’s a high chance the question or answer was not worded properly for the readers. So the MTA may give you credit if you need it or a neutral score if  you don’t. 

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

It's not advisable to share answers to the exam. It may lead to you being disqualified.

Says who ? I’m pretty sure you can compare the answers because each session is different. So it’s not like somebody can use them to cheat. My am session is done already. 

1 hour ago, Kidbx175 said:

Says who ? I’m pretty sure you can compare the answers because each session is different. So it’s not like somebody can use them to cheat. My am session is done already. 

It's written clear as day on the cover of your exam booklet. There's nothing wrong with talking about the exam but definitely not in an open forum. Also, the testing itself is not over yet, so I would hold off on comparing specific questions and answers. 

So I just got back from the PM session at Midwood High School.

My initial thoughts: Although some thought the exam was easy, I took my time. I found some questions tricky, others were straightforward. Fortunately for me this was not the first civil service exam I took, for NYC Transit nor DCAS. Therefore I sort-of knew what to expect upon going into this. There was one curve ball that did me off, which I'll reveal towards the end of May. By then all of the testing will have concluded.

For those of you who still have to take the exam: If you're wondering what to study, I would use this & this NYPD Test Prep Kits, in addition to refering to the bottom of the third page and the top of the fourth page of the Notice of Examination. Those green passbooks are a complete waste of time and money, unless you're borrowing it out of the library and you're using it for a small portion of your studying.

Edited by +Young+

• +Young+ changed the title to Track Worker Exam # 8600
On 4/7/2018 at 6:01 PM, Jperez94m said:

Yes, I did. I was told in the past, if a large amount of people from the exam location get the same answer wrong. It’s a high chance the question or answer was not worded properly for the readers. So the MTA may give you credit if you need it or a neutral score if  you don’t. 

That’s completely far from the truth. And I know from exam 3600 given in 2012-2013. This exam 8600 seems easy buy not reading keywords will drop your score drastically. That’s the purpose of the exam,make it easy and when you tend to think something is really easy you rush and that’s when you’ll pay.

7 hours ago, Getchanosediirty4ft said:

This exam 8600 seems easy buy not reading keywords will drop your score drastically. That’s the purpose of the exam,make it easy and when you tend to think something is really easy you rush and that’s when you’ll pay.

Amen! And back in 2013, I clearly remember screwing up on the reading comprehension passage too.

By the way, nice username @Getchanosediirty4ft!!

17 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Amen! And back in 2013, I clearly remember screwing up on the reading comprehension passage too.

By the way, nice username @Getchanosediirty4ft!!

Honestly I scored a 100% out right no Extra credits given from exam 3600 with a list number in the 400’s  but had active duty obligations,so I couldn’t take the job at that specific time nor now.

2 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

I also took this test last week and Franklin k lane. Is it true there is going to be a hiring freeze? Was reading about in the old test topic.

Negative the mandate is 2,000 track workers but with all these new projects,tunnel reconstruction and people retiring I’d say roughly around 5,000 May be called. That doesn’t mean 5,000 from exam 8600. Exam 3600 is still active and rightfully so 4,000 should be hired from that list.

18 hours ago, Getchanosediirty4ft said:

Negative the mandate is 2,000 track workers but with all these new projects,tunnel reconstruction and people retiring I’d say roughly around 5,000 May be called. That doesn’t mean 5,000 from exam 8600. Exam 3600 is still active and rightfully so 4,000 should be hired from that list.

Oh okay thanks for the response.

19 hours ago, Getchanosediirty4ft said:

Honestly I scored a 100% out right no Extra credits given from exam 3600 with a list number in the 400’s  but had active duty obligations,so I couldn’t take the job at that specific time nor now.

Understandable...my apologies for going a little off-topic, however you know that list expires December 18th, 2018, right? In addition, if you want to restore your name to the list, you know that you can simply e-mail DCAS compared to going down in person?

If not, click here for the details. (In the event the URL link breaks, it is post numbers 4803 & 4804 on page 193 from the B/O 4600 Hiring Process thread.)

3 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Understandable...my apologies for going a little off-topic, however you know that list expires December 18th, 2018, right? In addition, if you want to restore your name to the list, you know that you can simply e-mail DCAS compared to going down in person?

If not, click here for the details. (In the event the URL link breaks, it is post numbers 4803 & 4804 on page 193 from the B/O 4600 Hiring Process thread.)

I know ms Robinson keeps in contact with me but I can’t at the moment my obligations up mid 2019

35 minutes ago, Getchanosediirty4ft said:

I know ms Robinson keeps in contact with me but I can’t at the moment my obligations up mid 2019

Okay..so if they extend the list by a year then you'll be good to go, which they might do since they're administering this exam throughout this month, and it's going to take time to put everything together. If you look at the previous list, it took them 18 months to produce the list, and that was only for 12,500 people.

1 minute ago, SevenEleven said:

Now I've heard that they do both but nobody can provide a solid answer. It's weird.

Probably because of the large number of applicants. As an example, the Conductor 6601 list has 31,852 names, the Track Worker 3600 list has about 12,500 names, the last Sanitation exam has 68,000 candidates, etc. Plus, they're using two schools for this exam, including having an AM and PM session, which should say something itself.

1 hour ago, Getchanosediirty4ft said:

Negative they go by who applied first.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:19 PM, SevenEleven said:

You get sorted by the fifth digit of your social.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employees/prr_rule4.shtml

Both are correct.  

Although the links to the Administration Manual might be outdated, the DCAS link summarizes the powers.  In particular refer to rule 4.6.1b, and take note of the phrase "or by the head of the examining agency..."

My interpretation implies the TA Exams Unit has unilateral authority on tie breaker procedures.

Edited by Dave2836
Rule Clarification

On 4/8/2018 at 8:09 PM, +Young+ said:

So I just got back from the PM session at Midwood High School.

My initial thoughts: Although some thought the exam was easy, I took my time. I found some questions tricky, others were straightforward. Fortunately for me this was not the first civil service exam I took, for NYC Transit nor DCAS. Therefore I sort-of knew what to expect upon going into this. There was one curve ball that did me off, which I'll reveal towards the end of May. By then all of the testing will have concluded.

For those of you who still have to take the exam: If you're wondering what to study, I would use this & this NYPD Test Prep Kits, in addition to refering to the bottom of the third page and the top of the fourth page of the Notice of Examination. Those green passbooks are a complete waste of time and money, unless you're borrowing it out of the library and you're using it for a small portion of your studying.

Hey question. I’m new to this forum. How do i apply this to test and others as well? Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Ronald516 said:

Hey question. I’m new to this forum. How do i apply this to test and others as well? Thanks!

Unfortunately you can't apply to this exam...the application period was back in October. However, when the time comes, visit this page. Should be self-explanatory.

3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Unfortunately you can't apply to this exam...the application period was back in October. However, when the time comes, visit this page. Should be self-explanatory.

Oh okay thanks. Any idea how often these tests come out? I’m interested in taking the track worker, bus operator, train conductor, and engineer. Fellow UPS driver here btw 😊