Track Worker 8600 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.0146181ce93fa58744dcf143f3d1d7aa.png

Track Worker, Exam No. 8600

List Status:  This list has been established as of January 8, 2020.

Pay: Starts at $24.77 and increases to

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (3400's) - For Medical: (3500's)

Next Training Class:

Resources: 2016 Track Participants Safety Guide

Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process Topic

(Updated 4/18/2023)

1 hour ago, Ronald516 said:

Oh okay thanks. Any idea how often these tests come out? I’m interested in taking the track worker, bus operator, train conductor, and engineer. Fellow UPS driver here btw 😊

The last track worker test before this one was in 2013, so there was a 5 year wait for this test.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ronald516 said:

Oh okay thanks. Any idea how often these tests come out? I’m interested in taking the track worker, bus operator, train conductor, and engineer. Fellow UPS driver here btw 😊

Usually it is four, however it could easily be 5 or 6 years, especially if they extend the current list for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, Ronald516 said:

https://hcm.mymta.info/psc/HCPRD/SELFSERVICE/HXMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&TargetFrameName=None

Job 89326 Track Equipment Maintainer

Try this position.  It may be provisional and you must pass a civil service test to be permanent, but it's another way to get in.

Edited by Dave2836
Job number clarification

The track worker test was surprising simple to me but I'm not really trying to jinx myself. This was the 2nd MTA test I've ever took, the first one was for the mechanics helper position which I did horrible on (I got like a 56%) but in my defense I didn't know nothing about mechanics to begin with and had just applied to see the whole testing process so that's maybe why I thought this Track Worker one was simple. You guys seem experienced in this whole testing process, I know that the test answer keys will be posted May 23rd so what score do you guys think is a good one? Obviously I know that the highest score would be the best one but between what percentile range do you think would be good to get? I have no idea about the whole call back system, wait listing, and all that. For example is it basically a waiting game to get called back when you pass or does passing mean nothing and it's all about the high percentile scores that matter? I don't really know anything about how MTA employs people but I've been doing some research and right now I'm 20 years old, I have my CLP endorsements in Passenger and School Bus vehicles which I'll have to take the CDL road test in the summer to avoid redoing the CLP tests' and in September I'm continuing my enrollment in college to get my Associates Degree in Computer Technology. It's not really that and I'm sure a lot of you have way more experiences in this field but again I'm only 20 years old and I'm kind of doing all of this on my own. Your input on anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

7 hours ago, Movefromm3 said:

I have no idea about the whole call back system, wait listing, and all that. For example is it basically a waiting game to get called back when you pass or does passing mean nothing and it's all about the high percentile scores that matter?

First, welcome to the Forums!!

Second, as far as a "good" score, the higher the better because that means you will be called sooner.

As far as the call back system, wait listing, etc: It's going to be a while. When the list gets published, as it says on the bottom of your "Candidate's Record of Answers" sheet, you will receive a letter from them in the mail with your final score and list number. Once that happens, they hire in list number order, starting from the top and working their way down the list. Therefore, the higher the score, the better your odds are of getting hired.

Any more questions? If so, feel free to ask!!

13 hours ago, +Young+ said:

First, welcome to the Forums!!

Second, as far as a "good" score, the higher the better because that means you will be called sooner.

As far as the call back system, wait listing, etc: It's going to be a while. When the list gets published, as it says on the bottom of your "Candidate's Record of Answers" sheet, you will receive a letter from them in the mail with your final score and list number. Once that happens, they hire in list number order, starting from the top and working their way down the list. Therefore, the higher the score, the better your odds are of getting hired.

Any more questions? If so, feel free to ask!!

Hey young how's it going with your current test # I've been stalking these forums ever since they announced this test and I've been reading the old test topic.

20 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

Hey young how's it going with your current test # I've been stalking these forums ever since they announced this test and I've been reading the old test topic.

First, as per the guidelines of the site, please practice proper "forum etiquette" and post in the relevant forum. However, since there is a first for everything, this is the latest with my on-going case (My list # is 280*):

So on Thursday, April 5th, one of the Staff Analysts in Human Resources said that I would get a letter in the mail. To this date I have not yet received a letter in the mail. Meanwhile, I had a brief phone consultation with a lawyer who I know in the neighborhood. The lawyer said not only to wait the full 90 days, which would be about another month from now, May 21st, but the lawyer also found it interesting that if Transit is using the 10-day Bus Operator Training session against me, in which I got a "U" everyday, in which I still have possession of the daily checkoff lists from all 10 days, then I might have a case. However, the first step is to wait the full 90 days and take it from there.

It's such a shame too because my biographical father worked for them for 39 years too. I'm not going to disclose his location and/or title, since this is an open forum, however what's good is that Transit consists of several departments. Therefore, we just have to wait and see what happens...

6 hours ago, +Young+ said:

First, as per the guidelines of the site, please practice proper "forum etiquette" and post in the relevant forum. However, since there is a first for everything, this is the latest with my on-going case (My list # is 280*):

So on Thursday, April 5th, one of the Staff Analysts in Human Resources said that I would get a letter in the mail. To this date I have not yet received a letter in the mail. Meanwhile, I had a brief phone consultation with a lawyer who I know in the neighborhood. The lawyer said not only to wait the full 90 days, which would be about another month from now, May 21st, but the lawyer also found it interesting that if Transit is using the 10-day Bus Operator Training session against me, in which I got a "U" everyday, in which I still have possession of the daily checkoff lists from all 10 days, then I might have a case. However, the first step is to wait the full 90 days and take it from there.

It's such a shame too because my biographical father worked for them for 39 years too. I'm not going to disclose his location and/or title, since this is an open forum, however what's good is that Transit consists of several departments. Therefore, we just have to wait and see what happens...

I hope all goes well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What's up fellas! Proposed answer keys are posted early, and apparently, I got a 95% on this test. I hope that'll be enough to get called.. I guess we will just have to see how many people end up on the list.

So the proposed answer keys can be found towards the bottom of this page. From taking it on April 8th during the PM session, I got a 92.5%, with 6 wrong.

As of now, I will probably attend the Protest session next week - it'll be interesting to see what my mistakes were.

I got 5 questions  wrong. Whatever, I guess. What happens at the protest forum? Would someone more familiar  with MTA exam procedure care to explain? How does this affect everyone? Like,  say someone gets a 100% and then they decide to omit a question because it was confusing or poorly worded, do they instead  grade like #/79 as opposed to #/80. Also,  how do we even know they change it? It just seems like a way to cater to the cranks that paid $69.00 to take the exam and now they won't get a refund or a job out of the whole ordeal. 

3 hours ago, bigbucksQGTM said:

i got 2 wrong which would be a 97.5% what are my chances?

If you have a low fifth digit social security number you should get called withthin 4 years. I’m going to compare this exam to conductor. It’s a very easy 80 question exam with thousands of people who take it.   Just comparing this exam to the conductor one I’ll consider about 30,000 people passing and people with two wrong could range from around 1800-3500 with the spread gradually increasing depending on the number of wrong. This is just my opinion though and based off my experience with many other exams that I’ve recently taken. 

2 hours ago, Kidbx175 said:

If you have a low fifth digit social security number you should get called withthin 4 years. I’m going to compare this exam to conductor. It’s a very easy 80 question exam with thousands of people who take it.   Just comparing this exam to the conductor one I’ll consider about 30,000 people passing and people with two wrong could range from around 1800-3500 with the spread gradually increasing depending on the number of wrong. This is just my opinion though and based off my experience with many other exams that I’ve recently taken. 

thanx...would 6 be considered high?