Track Worker 8600 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.0146181ce93fa58744dcf143f3d1d7aa.png

Track Worker, Exam No. 8600

List Status:  This list has been established as of January 8, 2020.

Pay: Starts at $24.77 and increases to

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (3400's) - For Medical: (3500's)

Next Training Class:

Resources: 2016 Track Participants Safety Guide

Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process Topic

(Updated 4/18/2023)

21 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

Keep an eye on this link 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Bus-Operator-Conductor-Track-Worker-Certifications/pjqi-8psc

Whenever Transit requests a batch of candidates for Track, we'll know from this site. We'll be able to see how many vacancies and how many names they pulled.

We should see a batch of names being pulled within the next few weeks in my opinion. Depending on the amount of vacancies and so forth, keep in mind there hasn't been a class since September 2018, so whoever fired/retired/quit/promoted and or got demoted between now and then, they haven't been replaced. 

Promotion to Power Distribution Maintainer (8716) also established last year in July, with 96 eligibles. You also have the same title under (0703) that Track Workers took an exam for last week. I would imagine NYCT is losing a lot of Track headcount now. That’s not including the amount of people that got fired, retired, or resigned as you mentioned. We should definitely see some movement, very soon. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info,  very exciting to see some progress with this. When they notify you that your number is called,  is it a phone call , email or letter ? Also, how long do you have to respond to the job? I have a fear that I will somehow miss out on the opportunity.  Thanks again

2 hours ago, Rj617 said:

Congrats to all who passed, I was able to pass and get a list# in the high 700's. Any idea as to how long until being contacted to start the employment process? I'm currently out of state but plan on relocating back, just would like some sort of a time frame.

2 hours ago, dman1455 said:

Keep an eye on this link 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Bus-Operator-Conductor-Track-Worker-Certifications/pjqi-8psc

Whenever Transit requests a batch of candidates for Track, we'll know from this site. We'll be able to see how many vacancies and how many names they pulled.

We should see a batch of names being pulled within the next few weeks in my opinion. Depending on the amount of vacancies and so forth, keep in mind there hasn't been a class since September 2018, so whoever fired/retired/quit/promoted and or got demoted between now and then, they haven't been replaced. 

I'm not here to argue, however don't forget that when we took our open-competitive examination, at the same time they were also administering Exam 8704, which is a promotion to Track Worker. As a result, when they have vacancies, they will be calling from the promotional list first. That's why I personally said it could be a while, with, from my perspective, no time frame. Again, I can be wrong, however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

52 minutes ago, Rj617 said:

Thanks for the info,  very exciting to see some progress with this. When they notify you that your number is called,  is it a phone call , email or letter ? Also, how long do you have to respond to the job? I have a fear that I will somehow miss out on the opportunity.  Thanks again

After the agency requests from DCAS a certain amount of names to fill a certain amount of vacancies, which you can see for yourself either by clicking here or here (in the long run, both links are for the same website), you will receive a 'fat' envelope in the mail. The 'fat' envelope will contain a letter with an invite to report to the 5th floor of 180 Livingston Street on a certain date at 7:30 AM for pre-employment processing, along with an employment background verification questionnaire, with the exception of pages 8 & 9 since this is for Track Worker and not Bus Operator. Just make sure that with your employment history, which they want going back to high school in the form of months and years, they want NO GAPS. If you were unemployed, just state it and how you were financially supported (parents, spouse, extended family, you won the lottery, etc.)

In addition, if some of you are curious for more information (also known as :drool:), I would encourage you to read the 136 page of the Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process thread. Unless they change things around, which is a possibility, I have a 'gut' feeling that most of the things that the people on this list are going to go through will be very similar to what was posted in the other thread.

Edited by +Young+

I wouldn’t even worry about 8704. According to NY Payroll, there were only 5 Railroad Track Cleaners in 2018. That title is pretty much depleted if what I am seeing is true.

I highly recommend going through the entire 3600 thread, as it has tons of information in there. This thread is still relatively new, but we should all keep each other up to date through this journey.

16 minutes ago, Zoey said:

I wouldn’t even worry about 8704. According to NY Payroll, there were only 5 Railroad Track Cleaners in 2018. That title is pretty much depleted if what I am seeing is true.

I was not aware of that...now everything makes sense.

Thanks for sharing this information!!

39 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I'm not here to argue, however don't forget that when we took our open-competitive examination, at the same time they were also administering Exam 8704, which is a promotion to Track Worker. As a result, when they have vacancies, they will be calling from the promotional list first. That's why I personally said it could be a while, with, from my perspective, no time frame. Again, I can be wrong, however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

After the agency requests from DCAS a certain amount of names to fill a certain amount of vacancies, which you can see for yourself either by clicking here or here (in the long run, both links are for the same website), you will receive a 'fat' envelope in the mail. The 'fat' envelope will contain a letter with an invite to report to the 5th floor of 180 Livingston Street on a certain date at 7:30 AM for pre-employment processing, along with an employment background verification questionnaire, with the exception of pages 8 & 9 since this is for Track Worker and not Bus Operator. Just make sure that with your employment history, which they want going back to high school in the form of months and years, they want NO GAPS. If you were unemployed, just state it and how you were financially supported (parents, spouse, extended family, you won the lottery, etc.)

In addition, if some of you are curious for more information (also known as :drool:), I would encourage you to read the 136 page of the Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process thread. Unless they change things around, which is a possibility, I have a 'gut' feeling that most of the things that the people on this list are going to go through will be very similar to what was posted in the other thread.

The city has to legally offer a promotional exam to those that are eligible before an open competitive. Rail Road Track Cleaner is one of those titles that was slowly being phased out over time but, since a X amount of people are still under that title, every time a open competitive exam comes out for Track, they have to offer a promotional one.  8704 was not published or established since no one actually took that test. We're next up lol.

You can check here to see how many Track Workers and Railroad Track Cleaners were on the job in 2018. Unfortunately it looks like 2019 hasn’t been updated yet for these titles. 

Also thank you +young+ for posting those PDF files! It gives me something to read on my off time!

47 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

The city has to legally offer a promotional exam to those that are eligible before an open competitive. Rail Road Track Cleaner is one of those titles that was slowly being phased out over time but, since a X amount of people are still under that title, every time a open competitive exam comes out for Track, they have to offer a promotional one.  8704 was not published or established since no one actually took that test. We're next up lol.

Got it. Now it makes sense why the test booklets that were used were for both 8600 and 8704.

29 minutes ago, Zoey said:

You can check here to see how many Track Workers and Railroad Track Cleaners were on the job in 2018. Unfortunately it looks like 2019 hasn’t been updated yet for these titles. 

Also thank you +young+ for posting those PDF files! It gives me something to read on my off time!

I use the Salary Information for State Authorities website through the NY State Open Data website, however the information is the same.

Enjoy reading those PDF files and the 3600 thread!! It's a lot of good information, trust me.

Really good information! After all this time +young+, somethings gotta give. If it weren't for that aggressive 10 day training course with NYCT, I am sure you would of had a lot of seniority by now. This may very well be your time to shine if you so choose to go the track route over surface. I hope to one day be on the job with you! Knowing people and getting great insight from others always makes the process go much smoother.

For now, all we can really do is hope!

Great info about the process on the 3600 thread. It seems like a slow process but well worth it. Some people listed in the 300's appeared to wait about 6 months for drug test / physicals / training to begin. I'm all for the wait as it's well worth it. I'm listed between 750 - 799. Is that a good enough number to expect a call?

43 minutes ago, Rj617 said:

Great info about the process on the 3600 thread. It seems like a slow process but well worth it. Some people listed in the 300's appeared to wait about 6 months for drug test / physicals / training to begin. I'm all for the wait as it's well worth it. I'm listed between 750 - 799. Is that a good enough number to expect a call?

Only time will tell but, you should be good.

We’ll be alright I’m sure!

The only odd thing I find strange is, the authority requested 1000 vacancies be filled in the summer of 2018, but the last class was only a few months after that request, and that was it. The authority obviously never filled those spots and there was a hiring freeze and still continues to be one, for this title of course.

The authority extended 3600 but barely actually hired anyone for Track Worker, if at all during that extension which is interesting if I’m right. My guess is they are either planning on hiring that vacancy amount for 8600, or they just wanted to come up with that farce number just to keep the extension in place so that a freeze will continue throughout the 2019 year. I guess we will see the amount of vacancies once they pull from our list. 

Edited by Zoey

11 hours ago, Zoey said:

We’ll be alright I’m sure!

The only odd thing I find strange is, the authority requested 1000 vacancies be filled in the summer of 2018, but the last class was only a few months after that request, and that was it. The authority obviously never filled those spots and there was a hiring freeze and still continues to be one, for this title of course.

The authority extended 3600 but barely actually hired anyone for Track Worker, if at all during that extension which is interesting if I’m right. My guess is they are either planning on hiring that vacancy amount for 8600, or they just wanted to come up with that farce number just to keep the extension in place so that a freeze will continue throughout the 2019 year. I guess we will see the amount of vacancies once they pull from our list. 

They had no intention of hiring off of 3600 past September. Couple of people posted that they heard numerous rumors that September was the last class. I wouldn't be surprised they extended 3600 cause 8600 wasn't graded in time the list expired. So they ended up extending 3600 just to have a list and then once it expired they came out with 8600. 

This is pure speculation but, it makes the most sense.

There were also a lot of vacancies open for Promotion to PDM, well over 150 last October. We should see movement by this spring, maybe even sooner.

Anyone with a list number at or below 3,000 should have a fighting chance at the job. I know I still can’t believe how many people actually applied. I was expecting to be in the 3-4K list number range, so I was stunned.

Do we receive an actual letter with the exam score and list# or do we only receive a letter once our number is called?. I ask because I have not received any email or letter indicating the exam results. I had my address changed a year ago and don't want to miss any letter or information that is sent out. This forum is the only way I have any idea what is going on,  so thanks to all who contribute.

35 minutes ago, Rj617 said:

Do we receive an actual letter with the exam score and list# or do we only receive a letter once our number is called?. I ask because I have not received any email or letter indicating the exam results. I had my address changed a year ago and don't want to miss any letter or information that is sent out. This forum is the only way I have any idea what is going on,  so thanks to all who contribute.

We all should be receiving a letter shortly with our score and list number, especially if your name appears on this site for Exam #8600. If your name does not appear on the site, such as you failed the exam, then you will be receiving a different 'type' of letter.

I am curious to know too. When I took this exam, I was living in Staten Island at the time. Recently I have moved. The Exams Unit has never gotten back to my email with an update on my address change, nor have I received any mail regarding my list number. Then again, we are working with a bunch of sloths..

Any idea of how long they give you to respond/show up for the next step once you have been contacted the first time ? Example: If and when I receive a letter / email indicating my number has been called, how far in advance do they give you to appear in person? I travel out of state frequently and I want to be prepared if I'm out of state when I receive the call, is it a date and time that is within a week , month? If I have to fly back down the next day, I will sacrifice the trip.