Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
+Young+

Track Worker Exam # 8600

+Young+

As of January 8th, 2020, the list for this particular exam has been published. To view your list number, click here and type either your name or '8600' in the search box on the top right, followed by pressing 'enter.'

While we are waiting to get called, this downloadable PDF file might be of interest, especially to those who have a low list number. In addition, for those of you who are seeking more information, I would encourage you to read the Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process thread. This thread contains a lot of useful information.

Good luck and stay safe out there!!

Message added by +Young+

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

Keep an eye on this link 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Bus-Operator-Conductor-Track-Worker-Certifications/pjqi-8psc

Whenever Transit requests a batch of candidates for Track, we'll know from this site. We'll be able to see how many vacancies and how many names they pulled.

We should see a batch of names being pulled within the next few weeks in my opinion. Depending on the amount of vacancies and so forth, keep in mind there hasn't been a class since September 2018, so whoever fired/retired/quit/promoted and or got demoted between now and then, they haven't been replaced. 

Promotion to Power Distribution Maintainer (8716) also established last year in July, with 96 eligibles. You also have the same title under (0703) that Track Workers took an exam for last week. I would imagine NYCT is losing a lot of Track headcount now. That’s not including the amount of people that got fired, retired, or resigned as you mentioned. We should definitely see some movement, very soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info,  very exciting to see some progress with this. When they notify you that your number is called,  is it a phone call , email or letter ? Also, how long do you have to respond to the job? I have a fear that I will somehow miss out on the opportunity.  Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rj617 said:

Congrats to all who passed, I was able to pass and get a list# in the high 700's. Any idea as to how long until being contacted to start the employment process? I'm currently out of state but plan on relocating back, just would like some sort of a time frame.

 

2 hours ago, dman1455 said:

Keep an eye on this link 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Bus-Operator-Conductor-Track-Worker-Certifications/pjqi-8psc

Whenever Transit requests a batch of candidates for Track, we'll know from this site. We'll be able to see how many vacancies and how many names they pulled.

We should see a batch of names being pulled within the next few weeks in my opinion. Depending on the amount of vacancies and so forth, keep in mind there hasn't been a class since September 2018, so whoever fired/retired/quit/promoted and or got demoted between now and then, they haven't been replaced. 

I'm not here to argue, however don't forget that when we took our open-competitive examination, at the same time they were also administering Exam 8704, which is a promotion to Track Worker. As a result, when they have vacancies, they will be calling from the promotional list first. That's why I personally said it could be a while, with, from my perspective, no time frame. Again, I can be wrong, however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

52 minutes ago, Rj617 said:

Thanks for the info,  very exciting to see some progress with this. When they notify you that your number is called,  is it a phone call , email or letter ? Also, how long do you have to respond to the job? I have a fear that I will somehow miss out on the opportunity.  Thanks again

After the agency requests from DCAS a certain amount of names to fill a certain amount of vacancies, which you can see for yourself either by clicking here or here (in the long run, both links are for the same website), you will receive a 'fat' envelope in the mail. The 'fat' envelope will contain a letter with an invite to report to the 5th floor of 180 Livingston Street on a certain date at 7:30 AM for pre-employment processing, along with an employment background verification questionnaire, with the exception of pages 8 & 9 since this is for Track Worker and not Bus Operator. Just make sure that with your employment history, which they want going back to high school in the form of months and years, they want NO GAPS. If you were unemployed, just state it and how you were financially supported (parents, spouse, extended family, you won the lottery, etc.)

In addition, if some of you are curious for more information (also known as :drool:), I would encourage you to read the 136 page of the Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process thread. Unless they change things around, which is a possibility, I have a 'gut' feeling that most of the things that the people on this list are going to go through will be very similar to what was posted in the other thread.

Edited by +Young+
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t even worry about 8704. According to NY Payroll, there were only 5 Railroad Track Cleaners in 2018. That title is pretty much depleted if what I am seeing is true.

I highly recommend going through the entire 3600 thread, as it has tons of information in there. This thread is still relatively new, but we should all keep each other up to date through this journey.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Zoey said:

I wouldn’t even worry about 8704. According to NY Payroll, there were only 5 Railroad Track Cleaners in 2018. That title is pretty much depleted if what I am seeing is true.

I was not aware of that...now everything makes sense.

Thanks for sharing this information!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

 

I'm not here to argue, however don't forget that when we took our open-competitive examination, at the same time they were also administering Exam 8704, which is a promotion to Track Worker. As a result, when they have vacancies, they will be calling from the promotional list first. That's why I personally said it could be a while, with, from my perspective, no time frame. Again, I can be wrong, however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

After the agency requests from DCAS a certain amount of names to fill a certain amount of vacancies, which you can see for yourself either by clicking here or here (in the long run, both links are for the same website), you will receive a 'fat' envelope in the mail. The 'fat' envelope will contain a letter with an invite to report to the 5th floor of 180 Livingston Street on a certain date at 7:30 AM for pre-employment processing, along with an employment background verification questionnaire, with the exception of pages 8 & 9 since this is for Track Worker and not Bus Operator. Just make sure that with your employment history, which they want going back to high school in the form of months and years, they want NO GAPS. If you were unemployed, just state it and how you were financially supported (parents, spouse, extended family, you won the lottery, etc.)

In addition, if some of you are curious for more information (also known as :drool:), I would encourage you to read the 136 page of the Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process thread. Unless they change things around, which is a possibility, I have a 'gut' feeling that most of the things that the people on this list are going to go through will be very similar to what was posted in the other thread.

The city has to legally offer a promotional exam to those that are eligible before an open competitive. Rail Road Track Cleaner is one of those titles that was slowly being phased out over time but, since a X amount of people are still under that title, every time a open competitive exam comes out for Track, they have to offer a promotional one.  8704 was not published or established since no one actually took that test. We're next up lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can check here to see how many Track Workers and Railroad Track Cleaners were on the job in 2018. Unfortunately it looks like 2019 hasn’t been updated yet for these titles. 

Also thank you +young+ for posting those PDF files! It gives me something to read on my off time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

The city has to legally offer a promotional exam to those that are eligible before an open competitive. Rail Road Track Cleaner is one of those titles that was slowly being phased out over time but, since a X amount of people are still under that title, every time a open competitive exam comes out for Track, they have to offer a promotional one.  8704 was not published or established since no one actually took that test. We're next up lol.

Got it. Now it makes sense why the test booklets that were used were for both 8600 and 8704.

29 minutes ago, Zoey said:

You can check here to see how many Track Workers and Railroad Track Cleaners were on the job in 2018. Unfortunately it looks like 2019 hasn’t been updated yet for these titles. 

Also thank you +young+ for posting those PDF files! It gives me something to read on my off time!

I use the Salary Information for State Authorities website through the NY State Open Data website, however the information is the same.

Enjoy reading those PDF files and the 3600 thread!! It's a lot of good information, trust me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good information! After all this time +young+, somethings gotta give. If it weren't for that aggressive 10 day training course with NYCT, I am sure you would of had a lot of seniority by now. This may very well be your time to shine if you so choose to go the track route over surface. I hope to one day be on the job with you! Knowing people and getting great insight from others always makes the process go much smoother.

For now, all we can really do is hope!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zoey said:

For now, all we can really do is hope!

Amen!!

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great info about the process on the 3600 thread. It seems like a slow process but well worth it. Some people listed in the 300's appeared to wait about 6 months for drug test / physicals / training to begin. I'm all for the wait as it's well worth it. I'm listed between 750 - 799. Is that a good enough number to expect a call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Rj617 said:

Great info about the process on the 3600 thread. It seems like a slow process but well worth it. Some people listed in the 300's appeared to wait about 6 months for drug test / physicals / training to begin. I'm all for the wait as it's well worth it. I'm listed between 750 - 799. Is that a good enough number to expect a call?

Only time will tell but, you should be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scored at 92.5% have a list number at 2,4** do I have a possibility of being called? New to this first time ever taking a test like this so I’m outta the loop on all this stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my first time taking a test like this. I scored a 92.5% and my list number is 2,4**. Do I have a chance of being called? I never did nothing like this so I’m outta the loop to say the least of how this works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll be alright I’m sure!

The only odd thing I find strange is, the authority requested 1000 vacancies be filled in the summer of 2018, but the last class was only a few months after that request, and that was it. The authority obviously never filled those spots and there was a hiring freeze and still continues to be one, for this title of course.

The authority extended 3600 but barely actually hired anyone for Track Worker, if at all during that extension which is interesting if I’m right. My guess is they are either planning on hiring that vacancy amount for 8600, or they just wanted to come up with that farce number just to keep the extension in place so that a freeze will continue throughout the 2019 year. I guess we will see the amount of vacancies once they pull from our list. 

Edited by Zoey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zoey said:

We’ll be alright I’m sure!

The only odd thing I find strange is, the authority requested 1000 vacancies be filled in the summer of 2018, but the last class was only a few months after that request, and that was it. The authority obviously never filled those spots and there was a hiring freeze and still continues to be one, for this title of course.

The authority extended 3600 but barely actually hired anyone for Track Worker, if at all during that extension which is interesting if I’m right. My guess is they are either planning on hiring that vacancy amount for 8600, or they just wanted to come up with that farce number just to keep the extension in place so that a freeze will continue throughout the 2019 year. I guess we will see the amount of vacancies once they pull from our list. 

They had no intention of hiring off of 3600 past September. Couple of people posted that they heard numerous rumors that September was the last class. I wouldn't be surprised they extended 3600 cause 8600 wasn't graded in time the list expired. So they ended up extending 3600 just to have a list and then once it expired they came out with 8600. 

This is pure speculation but, it makes the most sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

What was the highest hired for exam 3600. I heard it went to the 3500s range

According to the seniority list the highest number appointed from the list was 3459 but, that was as of June 2018.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

According to the seniority list the highest number appointed from the list was 3459 but, that was as of June 2018.

Guess thats good news for me.  list number in early 2000s good luck thanks for info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were also a lot of vacancies open for Promotion to PDM, well over 150 last October. We should see movement by this spring, maybe even sooner.

Anyone with a list number at or below 3,000 should have a fighting chance at the job. I know I still can’t believe how many people actually applied. I was expecting to be in the 3-4K list number range, so I was stunned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we receive an actual letter with the exam score and list# or do we only receive a letter once our number is called?. I ask because I have not received any email or letter indicating the exam results. I had my address changed a year ago and don't want to miss any letter or information that is sent out. This forum is the only way I have any idea what is going on,  so thanks to all who contribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Rj617 said:

Do we receive an actual letter with the exam score and list# or do we only receive a letter once our number is called?. I ask because I have not received any email or letter indicating the exam results. I had my address changed a year ago and don't want to miss any letter or information that is sent out. This forum is the only way I have any idea what is going on,  so thanks to all who contribute.

We all should be receiving a letter shortly with our score and list number, especially if your name appears on this site for Exam #8600. If your name does not appear on the site, such as you failed the exam, then you will be receiving a different 'type' of letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious to know too. When I took this exam, I was living in Staten Island at the time. Recently I have moved. The Exams Unit has never gotten back to my email with an update on my address change, nor have I received any mail regarding my list number. Then again, we are working with a bunch of sloths..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea of how long they give you to respond/show up for the next step once you have been contacted the first time ? Example: If and when I receive a letter / email indicating my number has been called, how far in advance do they give you to appear in person? I travel out of state frequently and I want to be prepared if I'm out of state when I receive the call, is it a date and time that is within a week , month? If I have to fly back down the next day, I will sacrifice the trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.