Yonkers officials call on NYC to relocate MTA garage

MysteriousBtrain

http://westchester.news12.com/clip/13771896/yonkers-officials-call-on-nyc-to-relocate-mta-garage

My take: the mayor says the city has not paid the taxes it needed to for 20 years. The MTA depot was around for 12. If this was such a big problem, the NYCDOT/PBLs should of been paying them back then, it shouldn't be the MTA's issue. But let's see how the battle goes.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

http://westchester.news12.com/clip/13771896/yonkers-officials-call-on-nyc-to-relocate-mta-garage

My take: the mayor says the city has not paid the taxes it needed to for 20 years. The MTA depot was around for 12. If this was such a big problem, the NYCDOT/PBLs should of been paying them back then, it shouldn't be the MTA's issue. But let's see how the battle goes.

I was going to post this earlier but didn't bother because this has been an ongoing saga now for years.  I'm not even worried about it anymore.  If Yonkers wants the land, they're going to have to pay the (MTA) handsomely for it and build another Yonkers Depot, something they've balked about because of the costs associated with both.  What annoys me about this mayor is he has constituents that benefit from express bus service, and he has the nerve to try to act like this is a city thing.  All of those people that live in Yonkers that either drive, walk or take Bee Line buses to get the Yonkers Depot express buses... They all benefit from that depot, so he is full of it.  I guess he forgot about the BxM3 too that runs up into Yonkers.  If it's really all about Yonkers, then his residents can stop using the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 buses that serve my neighborhood. <_< The bus doesn't pick up until 261st and Riverdale Avenue and yet they come over the city line to use our express buses.  Let them provide express bus service for the own folks.  The people in South East Yonkers and Mount Vernon do the same crap, using the BxM4 and BxM11 in that order, so the way I see it, Yonkers benefits far more by using City services on a regular basis. 

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was going to post this earlier but didn't bother because this has been an ongoing saga now for years.  I'm not even worried about it anymore.  If Yonkers wants the land, they're going to have to pay the (MTA) handsomely for it and build another Yonkers Depot, something they've balked about because of the costs associated with both.  What annoys me about this mayor is he has constituents that benefit from express bus service, and he has the nerve to try to act like this is a city thing.  All of those people that live in Yonkers that either drive, walk or take Bee Line buses to get the Yonkers Depot express buses... They all benefit from that depot, so he is full of it.  I guess he forgot about the BxM3 too that runs up into Yonkers.  If it's really all about Yonkers, then his residents can stop using the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 buses that serve my neighborhood. <_< The bus doesn't pick up until 261st and Riverdale Avenue and yet they come over the city line to use our express buses.  Let them provide express bus service for the own folks.  The people in South East Yonkers and Mount Vernon do the same crap, using the BxM4 and BxM11 in that order, so the way I see it, Yonkers benefits far more by using City services on a regular basis. 

It's semi off topic, but aren't there also people who cross the bridge from Staten Island and then take the X27 and X28?

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

It's semi off topic, but aren't there also people who cross the bridge from Staten Island and then take the X27 and X28?

That's completely different because Staten Islanders are City residents just like Brooklynites.  The mayor of Yonkers is completely oblivious to the fact of how many of his residents use the Yonkers Depot express buses.  Hell if you take the BxM4 to Woodlawn, you'll often times see people get off at the very last stop (Katonah Avenue and East 242nd street) and walk right over the border into Southeast Yonkers.  Many of them seem to think that it's unfair that City residents can get Metro-North at a cheaper rate than they do (I've heard them complaining about this on the Hudson Line when I get on at Spuyten Duyvil or Riverdale with the ticket collector about how it's just $4.25 at those stations on weekends but $8.25 just over the border).  A peak ticket from Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Fleetwood and other stops in Yonkers near the City line is much more than $6.50 (it's $11.00 one way).  For $13.00 on the express bus, you can get to and from work as opposed to $22.00 round trip on Metro-North and perhaps another $5.50 for subway connections, so his residents benefit substantially from such an arrangement having express buses right over the border.  

Staten Island residents don't save money driving into Bay Ridge (unless they have E-Z Pass, but it still costs them more driving to Bay Ridge versus on Staten Island overall).  They still pay $6.50 either way, plus gas and any tolls. The problem is that parking can be nearly impossible near the Verrazzano, and since some likely have family in Bay Ridge (the Italians, Irish and other old school Brooklynites that stayed and didn't move to the island), they likely get parking knowing folks or having some set up since as you know, Shore Rd isn't exactly a great place to try to find parking either.

I do the reverse.  When I miss the last X27 back to Manhattan, I will pick up the X1 over the bridge and come into the city that way since it can be faster than going from deep along Shore Road over to the (R).

On 9/29/2017 at 4:34 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

If MTAB just closes it and shifts those routes to Eastchester, then the bus operators and others assigned to Yonkers Depot will no longer be subject to Yonkers city income tax.

Archived