Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Harry

Open road tolling closes gate on era at NYC-area crossings

open_road_tolling_closes.thumb.jpg.069750d801f3abe48b0bdf6bcd0418d8.jpg

By Alfonso A. Castillo   alfonso.castillo@newsday.com September 30, 2017

Cash-paying drivers in the E-ZPass lane, malfunctioning gate arms, long lines and other maddening inconveniences that came with crossing an MTA toll plaza in New York City are gone for good, replaced by “open-road, cashless tolling.”

With the removal of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s last two toll plazas at the Throgs Neck and Bronx-Whitestone Bridges on Saturday, all of the MTA’s nine crossings are now cashless.

Replacing the tollbooths, gates and — all too often — long lines of vehicles waiting to cross them are elevated gantries with sensors that read E-ZPass transponders and cameras that snap pictures of the license plates of cars that don’t use E-ZPass. The drivers of those cars are mailed an invoice for the toll amount.

The new system is part of a $501 million modernization of MTA bridges and tunnels that includes architectural enhancements and colorful LED lighting on bridges.

“Open road, Cashless Tolling is critical to modernizing our roadways, easing congestion, and re-imagining our transportation system for the 21st century economy,” Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said in a statement Wednesday.

Since introducing cashless tolling at the Queens Midtown Tunnel in January, the MTA has been rapidly rolling out the new technology at its crossings, including, most recently, the Robert F. Kennedy and Verrazano Narrows bridges. So far, the reviews from behind steering wheels have been mostly positive.

“Toll booths are a dangerous, time-consuming thing of the past,” said Tommy Gregoretti of Oceanside, who regularly crosses the Throgs Neck. “They have been replaced in so many other places. Nice to see New York finally catching up.”

Read more: http://www.amny.com/transit/open-road-tolling-closes-gate-on-era-at-nyc-area-crossings-1.14316629

It's not working on the Whitestone. Before cashless tolling, I zipped through the booth with EZ Pass. Tonight, there was a backup from the gas station to the bridge. I aborted my trip the traffic was so bad.

19 hours ago, nostalgia said:

It's not working on the Whitestone. Before cashless tolling, I zipped through the booth with EZ Pass. Tonight, there was a backup from the gas station to the bridge. I aborted my trip the traffic was so bad.

There's going to be a lot of traffic until they clear the toll booths. If they're clearing them like they did for the Verrazano (took 1 day), then the traffic should clear up throughout the week.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:21 PM, nostalgia said:

Usually that's because of traffic on the bridge due to lane closures, etc

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Usually that's because of traffic on the bridge due to lane closures, etc

The (MTA) wrote that some of the booths were closed for demolition and fewer booths were available for passage.

Today, I rode the BxM8 from into the city and traffic was jammed waiting to cross the Triboro. All the booths were demolished.

Edited by nostalgia
clarify sentence.

1 hour ago, nostalgia said:

The (MTA) wrote that some of the booths were closed for demolition and fewer booths were available for passage.

Today, I rode the BxM8 from into the city and traffic was jammed waiting to cross the Triboro. All the booths were demolished.

Exactly. Sometimes it's road work, or in that particular case could been the volume of traffic trying to get to the Manhattan Ramp, or traffic going crosstown on 125 2nd Ave to the Harlem River Drive. A lot of times there's traffic because people don't know how to merge efficiently.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

Exactly. Sometimes it's road work, or in that particular case could been the volume of traffic trying to get to the Manhattan Ramp, or traffic going crosstown on 125 2nd Ave to the Harlem River Drive. A lot of times there's traffic because people don't know how to merge efficiently.

There seemed to be less traffic with the booths. All the cash cars went to the right and the EZ Pass vehicles went to the left.

Listening to the traffic & weather report like I do every (week)day, I've been hearing more & more delays on the triboro during the PM rush... Didn't used to be as commonplace.... It also coincides with the complaints I've been reading about express bus commuters (Bronx) taking 2 hours to get home....

The Deegan is (at least was... IDK how things are now) hit or miss, the Bruckner is what it is (don't have nothing negative or positive to say about it), almost never hear about the Sheridan (which is a good thing, I guess), and the Cross Bronx parking lot - well let's just say that I like to guess how far back the delays are... Don't know if it was this week or last week, but when Alex Lee (Michael Kay show) reported that there were delays panning all the way from the Throgs Neck, on into some part of NJ I can't quite remember right now, I was in my ride LMAO....

17 hours ago, nostalgia said:

There seemed to be less traffic with the booths. All the cash cars went to the right and the EZ Pass vehicles went to the left.

If this is the case, then the situation is worse than I thought then.

On 10/8/2017 at 12:23 AM, nostalgia said:

It could be confused drivers wondering where the toll booths are.

On 10/8/2017 at 5:55 PM, B35 via Church said:

Listening to the traffic & weather report like I do every (week)day, I've been hearing more & more delays on the triboro during the PM rush... Didn't used to be as commonplace.... It also coincides with the complaints I've been reading about express bus commuters (Bronx) taking 2 hours to get home....

The Deegan is (at least was... IDK how things are now) hit or miss, the Bruckner is what it is (don't have nothing negative or positive to say about it), almost never hear about the Sheridan (which is a good thing, I guess), and the Cross Bronx parking lot - well let's just say that I like to guess how far back the delays are... Don't know if it was this week or last week, but when Alex Lee (Michael Kay show) reported that there were delays panning all the way from the Throgs Neck, on into some part of NJ I can't quite remember right now, I was in my ride LMAO....

If this is the case, then the situation is worse than I thought then.

No tollbooths = no filtering. All the traffic plows through and the ramps probably are bottlenecks now.

Though, with the half-Kosciuszko Bridge in place, the BQE still gets backed up for apparently NO reason. The grade change isn't as steep and the bridge doesn't those dips at the joints, yet people crawl over the bridge and cause backups.

Cashless tolling unless you are in a rental car. There are crazy fees for using any cashless toll road unless you happen to have your own EZPass, which many visitors and people who dont have cars dont.