$100 fine for littering...

Deucey

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Saw a commercial about it on PIX11.

Does this mean the trash cans are now back at every station? (Remember that (MTA) took out cans a while back at some stations thinking it would deter littering.)

No. Unless this is actually enforced, good luck stopping them. If anything the problem is worsening which is why the rat problem is worsening. You fine people consistently and you get their attention. That's the only thing that works. You go to other countries and the subways are spotless because they don't tolerate the nonsense that we do here. It has nothing to do with the system running 24/7 or the crowds of people. Slobs will litter. It's that simple. It goes back to poorly trained kids who are now teens and adults who weren't taught proper etiquette when they were younger by their parents. On the other hand, very few people are going to make the extra effort to look for a garbage can underground and will just dispose of it whereever, so more cans would help as well.  Quite frankly eating should be banned and people should be fined for having entire meals. Allow water and that's it. If people cleaned up after themselves maybe it would be tolerable, but everyone thinks the mess they leave magically gets cleaned. Usually not the case unless the rats clean up.

Of course, a food ban runs into the same problem that affects the littering fine, enforcement. If there's no effort to go after the litterers, what makes you think they'll actually do anything to combat an enacted food ban?

20 minutes ago, Lance said:

Of course, a food ban runs into the same problem that affects the littering fine, enforcement. If there's no effort to go after the litterers, what makes you think they'll actually do anything to combat an enacted food ban?

I was speaking in hypothetical terms.  That's the problem with the (MTA). A lack of consistency and transparency.  I'd be shocked if a food ban was ever enacted, given the board's overall complacency and inability to finalize anything. They talk about this and that, but ultimately things go back to the status quo.

2 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

There'd never be a food ban, the newstands and in-station stores and coffee shops would go broke, and then we'd be complaining how the MTA doesn't use its retail spaces effectively.

lol. They already don't maximize the use of their retail spaces...

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol. They already don't maximize the use of their retail spaces...

At this point, they've sold most of the real estate they can sell. The remaining land is either in use or not worth selling.

Decking over the yards is not financially possible 99% of the time; the two examples we have of it, Hudson and Atlantic Yards, were not very cost-effective for the taxpayer, and may even have negative benefit.

The retail space they have are, at best, awkward, since New York doesn't have large unpaid areas and all of the retail spaces tend to be tiny and in fare control, which restricts the potential audience to smallish newstands that straphangers use. In all the railway systems with successful retail, it tends to be 7-eleven sized stores in the unpaid areas. So I don't know what else can be done.

53 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

At this point, they've sold most of the real estate they can sell. The remaining land is either in use or not worth selling.

Decking over the yards is not financially possible 99% of the time; the two examples we have of it, Hudson and Atlantic Yards, were not very cost-effective for the taxpayer, and may even have negative benefit.

The retail space they have are, at best, awkward, since New York doesn't have large unpaid areas and all of the retail spaces tend to be tiny and in fare control, which restricts the potential audience to smallish newstands that straphangers use. In all the railway systems with successful retail, it tends to be 7-eleven sized stores in the unpaid areas. So I don't know what else can be done.

The last time I recall buying any food from a vendor in a subway station was years ago.  I was craving a snack and saw those Swiss creme sandwich cookies and bought a few packs, since I loved eating those growing up and hadn't had them in years.  I just happened to be coming from a meeting near Brooklyn Heights and saw the stand there, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.  With the price of things being what they are these days, and me rarely having cash on me, I just swipe and go at my usual spots.  Those stands are expensive for what they sell (processed garbage) and I am not going out of my way to get cash.  I can get much better quality at Whole Foods for less or one of my other spots.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The last time I recall buying any food from a vendor in a subway station was years ago.  I was craving a snack and saw those Swiss creme sandwich cookies and bought a few packs, since I loved eating those growing up and hadn't had them in years.  I just happened to be coming from a meeting near Brooklyn Heights and saw the stand there, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.  With the price of things being what they are these days, and me rarely having cash on me, I just swipe and go at my usual spots.  Those stands are expensive for what they sell (processed garbage) and I am not going out of my way to get cash.  I can get much better quality at Whole Foods for less or one of my other spots.

I'm still mad that in four years, the price of drinks have gone up $1 in subway newsstands.

14 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I'm still mad that in four years, the price of drinks have gone up $1 in subway newsstands.

There are times when I have say less than $5.00 in my pocket and realize I can barely get anything with that and taking out a $20.00 from the ATM goes like that.  I remember not that long ago, you could do just fine with say $3.00-$4.00, but not anymore,  not even in the outer boroughs because the rents have shot up so quickly.  That's the other thing. If I'm going to spend almost $10.00 for say a drink and a snack, I'm not going to some shady newsstand.  If you want something of quality like a drink you have to spend $2 - 3 dollars, then the snack which can be $4.00 or so. I bought two Linzer cookies the other night from a place I frequent on the Upper West Side... $5.00 ($2.49 each - and I thought that was a bargain lol), not including any coffee, so basically almost $9.00 for two cookies and an espresso.   

What I see a lot of times now when I'm in Whole Foods is people go there because drinks are somewhat reasonable. You can get a water for around $1.49 or so.

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, I barely get stuff at those places, particularly when delis essentially stock the same items but cheaper and they generally take card.

Unfortunately, there's really not much else you could fit in those spaces since they're so damn tiny. You could have vending machines instead like the Asian systems, but I feel like those would get vandalized pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Yeah, I barely get stuff at those places, particularly when delis essentially stock the same items but cheaper and they generally take card.

Unfortunately, there's really not much else you could fit in those spaces since they're so damn tiny. You could have vending machines instead like the Asian systems, but I feel like those would get vandalized pretty quickly.

That and it likely sitting for so long. So few people carry cash these days that oI don't see how those places can survive, plus a lot of places no longer accept cash. There are a few coffee places I go to that are like this.

Archived