Those old fare lights behind drivers??

Deucey

So I'm on an RTS (#4985 On the B45, if you're interested), and I see the Transit Watch sticker.

IMG_5964.jpg

I remember in the 90s there was a light box there that lit up showing whether a fare was a transfer or not.

Why was that box installed facing passengers instead of the driver, and why/when was it removed?

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

But why were they facing passengers? I didn't need to know someone paid with a MetroCard in '96 and got a transfer.

This topic was discussed before, but I can't remember what the answer was. Maybe Turtle remembers. I believe he answered it before in another thread.

Those were for beakies and police officers checking on who was boarding. You could sit on the bus itself and watch how the fare had been paid. Similar to the lights behind turnstiles in the subway. I used to watch them to guess how old people were--if the ADULT light didn't go off and the PASS did (if I remember), they were over 65!

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Those were for beakies and police officers checking on who was boarding. You could sit on the bus itself and watch how the fare had been paid. Similar to the lights behind turnstiles in the subway. I used to watch them to guess how old people were--if the ADULT light didn't go off and the PASS did (if I remember), they were over 65!

The SPCL (green light) went off if the passenger was 65 or above or had a qualifying disabilty

On 10/7/2017 at 8:13 PM, MHV9218 said:

The Turnstyles have lights behind them in the same manner?

On 10/6/2017 at 10:36 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This topic was discussed before, but I can't remember what the answer was. Maybe Turtle remembers. I believe he answered it before in another thread.

Like MHV said, they were beanie boxes. There were 6 panels on them:

PASS | STUDT 

ADULT | SPCL

XFER | BYPS

-PASS (yellow)

Employee passes

-STUDT (dark blue)

Student metrocards/half fare student change

-ADULT (red)

Regular metrocards, full fare change

-SPCL (green)

Half Fare elderly change, elderly metrocards

-XFER (orange)

Paper transfers

-BYPS (light blue)

Never really knew this one, always flashed on occasion

On 10/12/2017 at 12:56 PM, P3F said:

If I'm not mistaken, the (MTA) sells these fare light boxes ("annunciators", if I remember correctly) on their website.

O/T but where on the TA website do they sell all this excess stuff? I’d love to have a look see. 

TIA

Archived