Latest Metrocard Glitch Double and Triple Charging Riders

Via Garibaldi 8

Glitchy MetroCard machines overcharging on purchases, riders complain

metrocard12n-1-web.jpg

Riders are complaining that MetroCard machines are charging them double — or even triple — on their purchases.

(SUSAN WATTS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

BYDAN RIVOLI

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Updated: Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 7:00 PM

It looks like MetroCard machines have been taking straphangers for a ride this week.

Straphangers were supposed to be able to fully use the machines after a weekend software upgrade blocked credit and debit card purchases in the overnight hours.

Instead, riders have been complaining they’re being told their transactions aren’t going through, yet the machines are actually charging them.

Straphangers vented to the MTA on Twitter to find out how to get reimbursed. In one case, a rider wanted a seven-day unlimited pass. Now the rider has two — one of which is useless.

MetroCard machines briefly stop taking credit, debit cards

“@MTA said my 7 day unlimited purchase was unable to process so I did it again so now I have two and got charged $64 ??whyyyy” the rider, with the handle @JosieJansss, tweeted.

Another aggrieved passenger said on Tuesday evening she was overcharged while trying to refill her MetroCard with a $32 seven-day unlimited pass.

“Hey @NYCTSubway—I got charged 3 times for 3 separate failed metrocard purchases today when machines were down. Who do I contact for refund?” wrote @mjmusty on Twitter.

The MTA on social media tried reassuring riders that most failed transactions don’t result in a charge, with credit processed within a week. In the event that doesn’t happen, riders need to mail a reimbursement form available at station booths.

MTA spokesman Shams Tarek acknowledged problems on some machines Tuesday, blaming it on Verizon's connection, not the weekend upgrade.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/glitchy-metrocard-machines-overcharging-purchases-riders-article-1.3556873

The biggest takeaway from this article is that this technology must be replaced and soon. I've been noticing more and more machines unable to take credit or debit cards, and we're a society that's moving further and further away from cash.  In the case of Metrocards, I try to pay with a card because if the card is lost, the (MTA) will not refund you, and I'm sure the (MTA) knows that more people use cards for this reason.

I refilled a few days ago on the Upper East Side (86th street station) for an express bus pass and one machine was down. I paid with cash since I had some on me. I get the impression that this latest glitch was not isolated though, but rather systemwide because there was another report out that said that basically no one could use cards anywhere on Tuesday for a period of time.  This also means that those people now have to spend more time going to get cash out before even starting their commutes in addition to having to be reimbursed or waiting for temporary authorizations to clear off of their cards.  It's interesting how everything now has to be so planned.  I was talking with a few passengers this morning at a bus stop.  Yesterday morning our bus was a no-show and we were just basically discussing "strategies".  It's a sign of the times now to say the least.

In fact I think this is more of an issue today because you now have businesses that no longer accept cash for a host of reasons, so the concept of people walking around with enough cash for Metrocards becomes even more outdated.  I would go further in saying that it definitely is contributing to slower service, be it on the buses or subways, as people either take forever putting in coins or can't get through the turnstiles, so we need a new system that will result in speedier entrances to and exits of the system.  

Cash must be used in some form. It is one of the few kinds of payments that is difficult to trace. Using credit card pretty much exposes your spending habits to private corporation, governments, hackers, and whoever may be interested in vacuuming up this easily-copyable data.

On 10/13/2017 at 4:29 PM, CenSin said:

Cash must be used in some form. It is one of the few kinds of payments that is difficult to trace. Using credit card pretty much exposes your spending habits to private corporation, governments, hackers, and whoever may be interested in vacuuming up this easily-copyable data.

Some societies, notably Sweden, are going cashless to the point where some stores will just not take cash.

Archived