Have train riders found a sneaky new way to cheat on NJ Transit fares?

Via Garibaldi 8

Have train riders found a sneaky new way to cheat on NJ Transit fares?

Updated on October 15, 2017 at 11:54 AM Posted on October 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM

nyps-tvm-line-jpeg-fc822ad053fe1e78.jpeg

NJ Transit rail commuters wait to buy tickets from vending machines in Penn Station, New York. Union officials warned the agency about people buying half price tickets from vending machines who aren't qualified to purchase them. (Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Larry Higgs

lhiggs@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

A new type of fare-beater is becoming a money-sapping problem for NJ Transit, using a half-price ticket to which they're not entitled, claims the head of a conductor's union. 

The union boss took the extraordinary step of asking NJ Transit's Board of Directors to halt vending machine sales of senior citizen and disabled passengers discount tickets.

Stephen J. Burkert, general chairman of SMART-Transportation Division Local 60, argues that those sharply-discounted tickets should only be sold by agents or conductors.

"Our crews report that 25 to 30 percent of all tickets collected are reduced fare tickets ," he said. "I have people in their 30's giving conductors senior tickets and the disabled program is even more abused by passengers. ... We are not allowed to ask for ID.

"This is a lot of money being scammed or outright stolen by passengers who know how to play the system simply by using a ticket vending machine," he said. 

But NJ Transit contradicted Burkert, saying that reduced fare tickets account for only 10 percent of total fares. 

"Train crews are allowed to inspect identification for customers presenting a reduced fare ticket," said Lisa Torbic, an NJ Transit spokeswoman. "Violators of the reduced fare policy may be asked to pay the appropriate fare."

If they refuse to pay the higher fare, they have to "exit the train at the next stop," Torbic said.

But Burkert claims that NJ Transit put out a special bulletin to crews about five years ago "forbidding us from asking (for ID). So nobody exits the train at the next station stop."

Passengers who use senior and disabled tickets can save significant money, paying $7.65 instead of the regular $16.75 New York to Trenton fare, Burkert said.  

The discount is available to senior citizens age 62 and older, and to riders with disabilities. Passengers are supposed to show an NJ Transit reduced fare card, a driver's license or other proof of age with their fare, according to the agency's website.

A passenger applying for a reduced fare card for a disability has to provide medical proof from a physician to qualify. NJ Transit also honors reduced fare cards issued by the Port Authority, New York's MTA, Medicaid cards and other documents that show a passenger's age. 

Larry Higgs may be reached at lhiggs@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @commutinglarry. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

Source: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/10/have_train_riders_found_a_sneaky_new_way_to_cheat_on_nj_transit_fares.html

I use senior/disabled tickets on all three of the area's commuter railroads all the time and only once did an conductor ask me for ID (It was on NJT) I showed him my reduced fare Metrocard and he accepted that and all was well. TBH I thought healthy people didn't buy these senior/disabled tickets cause the C/R would ask them for proof.

I kinda pissed about this TBH... In regards to eliminating the option to buy them from TVM.. Every NJT commuter rail station has TVM, not every station has ticket agents, and if you buy them from a conductor you probably would have to pay with cash <_< I like to use my debit card to buy my transit fares. Easy way to stop this is to just have the C/R ask everyone who buy these reduced fare tickets for proof, if they don't have it, have the cops remove them from the train at the next stop.

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I use senior/disabled tickets on all three of the area's commuter railroads all the time and only once did an conductor ask me for ID (It was on NJT) I showed him my reduced fare Metrocard and he accepted that and all was well. TBH I thought healthy people didn't buy these senior/disabled tickets cause the C/R would ask them for proof.

I kinda pissed about this TBH... In regards to eliminating the option to buy them from TVM.. Every NJT commuter rail station has TVM, not every station has ticket agents, and if you buy them from a conductor you probably would have to pay with cash <_< I like to use my debit card to buy my transit fares. Easy way to stop this is to just have the C/R ask everyone who buy these reduced fare tickets for proof, if they don't have it, have the cops remove them from the train at the next stop.

Wait, you're a disabled/senior person?? Who knew... <_<

Well when I drove for Community Coach (local NJ Transit lines), we used to have to have people provide the Medicaid card in order to get half fare.

This is a very tricky situation as if you make the wrong move with the customers concerning this, the ADA gets involved which means possible lawsuits.  Seems to me there should have been more thought put into this especially with the good folks at the ADA

Archived