New Fare Payment Thread

Union Tpke

22 minutes ago, James Goodwin said:

I find it funny that the MTA is still using 1990s era tech when t comes to metrocards vs other systems.

The two biggest agencies in the Americas are the last holdout's New York and Mexico City.  Just think it's easier rollouts in smaller markets, Asian markets already had NFC Technology In use for payment and other things since the late 90's so easy integration. And let's not forget politics I started University in 1998 I remember sitting in on Civic planning course. Russia (Moscow)  was just launching their tap to pay system with Social subsidize fares it was one of the main topics of the talk. Were late to the party but I guess the Silver lining is the technologies are pretty much mature at this point. (Shrugs) B-)

7 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

The two biggest agencies in the Americas are the last holdout's New York and Mexico City.  Just think it's easier rollouts in smaller markets, Asian markets already had NFC Technology In use for payment and other things since the late 90's so easy integration. And let's not forget politics I started University in 1998 I remember sitting in on Civic planning course. Russia (Moscow)  was just launching their tap to pay system with Social subsidize fares it was one of the main topics of the talk. Were late to the party but I guess the Silver lining is the technologies are pretty much mature at this point. (Shrugs) B-)

Yeah i would expect that most of the kinks have been ironed out already...

It also helps that its Cubic which has been doing this for nearly twenty years already...

5 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Yep TFL is licensing it out to the MTA.

Oyster is a Cubic product?

7 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

New York is technically one of the last holdouts, but most backwards large agency award probably goes to SEPTA, which until very recently was using tokens. But SEPTA Key is usable on the Regional Rail network, so we'll have to see if the MTA *actually* rolls it out to MNR and LIRR this time around.

33 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Oyster is a Cubic product?

New York is technically one of the last holdouts, but most backwards large agency award probably goes to SEPTA, which until very recently was using tokens. But SEPTA Key is usable on the Regional Rail network, so we'll have to see if the MTA *actually* rolls it out to MNR and LIRR this time around.

Yep Cubic is behind the Oyster.

37 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Would be nice if I could use PayPal/Venmo to pay for my unlimited with the new system. Visa/MC/Debit networks are still so insecure that I’d rather have a gatekeeper in between my bank account and vendors.

ApplePay works too.

Apple, Android and Samsung pay are the gatekeepers.  I use ApplePay currently when I use the etix app on the railroads so it's already there.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:10 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't want ANYTHING from the (MTA) connected to my credit or debit cards. 

I think you misunderstood - what I was suggesting, and what it looks like may be coming, was that the FARE MEDIUM itself technically be a reloadable debit card. Well - technically it is already this. 

What I was saying is, it would be relatively straightforward to set up the fare medium as, say, a mastercard debit card. If one were so inclined, you could restrict it, on the authorization network end, to only work at MTA turnstiles. Or you could have it simply authorize based on balance/existence of unlimited pass. 

The point is, in setting it up this way, I could add the card to the mobile wallet of my choice, and then tap card, watch, phone, - whatever has NFC at the turnstile for entry - checking for the existence of unlimited pass or deducting debit from that. 

Setting it up this way *PREVENTS* one from being obliged to link any financial account to the MTA, and leverages existing infrastructure for the mobile walleting, so they aren't re-inventing the wheel (probably poorly) when it comes to making a seamless mobile experience. 

On 10/25/2017 at 7:32 PM, RailRunRob said:

CTA has something like that in place with the Ventra it's a prepaid MasterCard as well. I believe  Cubix designed this standard as well.

7 minutes ago, quadcorder said:

See: Chicago Ventra, despite poor rollout, can now function as a mastercard debit card using your Ventra balance (Mastercard Moneynetwork) from what I read.

Yeppers!

1 hour ago, itmaybeokay said:

I think you misunderstood - what I was suggesting, and what it looks like may be coming, was that the FARE MEDIUM itself technically be a reloadable debit card. Well - technically it is already this. 

What I was saying is, it would be relatively straightforward to set up the fare medium as, say, a mastercard debit card. If one were so inclined, you could restrict it, on the authorization network end, to only work at MTA turnstiles. Or you could have it simply authorize based on balance/existence of unlimited pass. 

The point is, in setting it up this way, I could add the card to the mobile wallet of my choice, and then tap card, watch, phone, - whatever has NFC at the turnstile for entry - checking for the existence of unlimited pass or deducting debit from that. 

Setting it up this way *PREVENTS* one from being obliged to link any financial account to the MTA, and leverages existing infrastructure for the mobile walleting, so they aren't re-inventing the wheel (probably poorly) when it comes to making a seamless mobile experience. 

Well if that works great.  From what I've heard there will be a bevy of options, so we'll see. 

10 hours ago, quadcorder said:

See: Chicago Ventra, despite poor rollout, can now function as a mastercard debit card using your Ventra balance (Mastercard Moneynetwork) from what I read.

Hong Kong's Octopus has been usable as a debit card in most retailers since 1997. It's nice to finally get to the present day technologies.

• 2 months later...

Couple of things:

Yes, some parts of the TfL system you tap before boarding (light rail). The handheld readers for revenue inspectors are tiny. Smaller than phone.

Fixed readers fail occasionally. When there is only one, it is always by the bus driver. They wave everyone on for a no charge journey. The reader is also lit up red, so people know it is out of service.

On some newer buses, there are multiple readers and passengers have a choice of 3 doors, which keeps dwell times down.

The single payment system works for almost all modes, including subway, regional rail, commuter ferries, bus & Express bus and aerial tramway.. (cycle hire is currently separate).

NYC has different challenges and rider expectations to London of course, but the implementation can be tailored to those.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2018 at 7:43 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

Will we be getting new fare gates compatable with new system or will mta just slap fare readers on?

Pretty sure they are just getting slapped on. 34th on the (A)(C)(E) already has them, I'll try and get pics next time I'm there.

Archived