MTA to Eliminate Overnight Station Cleaners

Lance

ax094_0a36_9.jpgIn a move that baffles the mind, the MTA is planning on eliminating the late night shift (21:00-05:00) of station cleaners across several lines. This process has already begun on the (R) line and will spread to five other subway lines in January and the rest of the system by mid-year.

Read more: Source

I cannot see the benefits here. Sure, it saves them a buck in the short-term, but in the long-run, this will cost them, whether it's in increased delays or responding the inevitable track fires that will occur because there's trash overflowing from the garbage cans. I thought the whole point of having the night shift of trash collectors was to actually be able to pick up the trash at a time when ridership is low. How are they going to do this at the height of the rush-hour? Are they going to put the trash on the crush-loaded (E) train? Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get it. Then again, this is the same agency that decided to combat litter by removing the trash cans, so, yeah...

Looks like another half-ass MTA-style approach to saving costs in the short-term. A better idea would be to move most cleaners to the overnight as you can clean quickly then.

If this causes fires at night, the MTA will then say "Due to "problems", we will now discontinue late-night service."

Archived