My 9/22 Vegan Car Free LI Challenge Successful

Here is my detail story of my adventure of Car Free Day Long Island with depending on vegan foods..

I left my apartment in Jackson Heights at 4:40, and boarded C/O's car on Flushing-bound (7) at 5:07 at 90th St, which was 1 minute late, and arriving Flushing-Main St at 5:22, almost missing first n20G Bus of 5:25 for that day. If I missed that, I almost ended up messing up my adventure plan.

I boarded 5:25 n20G Great Neck Bus #1859 ontime at Roosevelt Av/Main St, which was overcrowded.
Arrived at Great Neck Station at 5:58, 1 minute early from 5:59.
Total time: 56 minutes.

Then I stopped by to use restroom at waiting room, stopped by at Bond St to grab Bee-Organic Menu, bought my LIRR ticket from Copiague to Woodside.

Then I boarded 6:25 n20H Hicksville #1931, which departed 1 minute late at 6:26, and arrived at North Broadway/Manhattan Av at 7:02, 5 minutes late from 6:57 arrival time.
Total time: 36 minutes.

I waited for Jericho Whole Food to open.
About 7:00, team members were unchaining the shopping carts.
Then at 7:20am, they were getting outdoor tables and chairs ready, so I sit on table with shopping cart, facing the street because I wanted to make sure bus was running on time.

At 7:30, it open ontime and I grab only Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies in container and SoDelicious Yogurt and had breakfast break for short hour, then use restroom.

Around 8:20, I headed out to North Broadway/Columbia Drive and boarded 7:46 n20H Hicksville #1793 departed Columbia Drive at 8:35, 3 minutes late from 8:32, arriving Hicksville Station at 8:40, 2 minutes late from 8:38.
Total time: 5 minutes.

I use restroom at Fed Ex.

Then I boarded 9:20 n79 Walt Whitman Mall #1704 and asked for paper transfer for H20 Bus. Female bus driver thought I was asking for n20, but I needed to connect to H20 Bus, so other passenger told her I was going on Suffolk County Bus, so she gave me transfer and departed on time.
Arriving Walt Whitman Mall at 9:58, 2 minutes late from 9:56.

Then I boarded the 10:00 H20 Halesite Bus 813 which came to Walt Whitman Mall ontime at 10:14. which male bus driver lost time at red light on northbound Woodhull Av at Park Av, and I got off at schedule location at Park Av/Route 110 at 10:45 ontime.
Total time: 31 minutes.

I walk over to 7-11 to get quick juice and nice employee at Fishing Store let me used the restroom. I used the wrong one, Employee's one by mistake. I asked for spare pen because I lost the pen, and nice man gave to me.

Then I walk over to Halesite Fire Department, and nice firefighter there as I asked for bus stop.

Since it was very hot, I waiting in shadow of back of fire department to stay cool.

11:30 S1 Amityville bus departed 11:35, 5 minutes late. As in result, my trip plan has been changed to Route 110/Conklin St, which arrived surprisingly ontime at 12:22.
Total time: 47 minutes.

12:30 n70 Hempstead #1885 came 10 minutes late at 8:40 which was female driver.
During the bus ride, near few shopping centers, bus was next to trailer truck, and she saw wheelchair passenger at bus shelter raise up for signal for her to stop, so soon as I saw that, I lifted up the driver facing seat to wheelchair position. After trailer truck, she pulled over to bus shelter to pickup him.
It was her first time she had to do wheelchair securement. I try to help her best as possible and she was happy that I was kind enough to help her.
Arrived Hempstead Transit Center at 13:36, 10 minutes late from 13:26.

Even thought I didn't want to miss the 13:40 n6 Jamaica local #1711, I let the passengers exit first, then wheelchair, then after that wheelchair got off, I put seat back to original position, then rush to grab few schedules and board 13:40 n6 Jamaica local departed ontime, arriving Franklin Square one minute late at 13:59 from 13:58.
Total time: 19 minutes.

After I made copy of Korean K9 Rescue foster flyers 100 copies, I boarded the 14:02 n25 Lynbrook which came at 14:55, 15 minutes late from 14:40, then arrived at Lynbrook Station at 15:08, 13 minutes late from 14:55.
Total time: 13 minutes.

Then I saw the 14:30 n4 Freeport Local was coming, so I quickly chalk message in front of Shake-A-Paw Lynbrook, "Puppymill"

Then at Merrick Rd/Atlantic Av, while bus driver was changing seat, I quickly chalk message "Shake A-Paw comes from Puppymill and two of passengers getting on 14:30 n4 Freeport Local #1717 said nobody like the stores because of that reason and bus departed 1 minute late at 15:13 from 15:12, arriving Freeport Station at 15:40, 7 minutes late from 15:33.
Total time: 27 minutes.

I quickly went to Dollar store to get cheap crayons/pen and headed back to Freeport Station and boarded 16:00 n19 Sunrise Mall #1895 bus, almost lost all n19 bus schedules due to windy weather, I was able to grab two of them, and bus left 5 minutes at 16:05, and arrived at Sunrise Mall at 16:40, 5 minutes late from 16:35.

Total time: 35 minutes.

Then I boarded the 16:30 S20 #1045 Babylon Loop which came to Sunrise Mall at 17:10, and got off at Deauville Blvd at 17:26 ontime.

I went to Copiague Memorial Public Library for first time to use internet for hour.

Around 18:26, I headed out to 3 Brother Vegan Pizza Cafe to stay and ordered Seitan Sausage Pizza. Some of my friends who work there recognize me from Farmingdale Branch and stay there until 21:00, then use restroom quick, paid for food, and made quick stop to get $1 juice at deli next door and hiked up to Copiague Train Station. I also had 3 tote bags and one leftover pizza box to take home.
Lots of parked drivers were friendly and I was able to make it to 21:54 Penn Station-bound Babylon Branch local train at and finish my vegan pizza on the train and got off at Woodside 22:30.
Total time on LIRR: 36 minutes.

Then took <7> express came perfect timing at 22:36, then got off at Junction Blvd at 22:40, then went quickly to my neighborhood internet café for quick internet, then went home.
THE END.

Enjoy it!

11 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Did you notice any increase in passengers on that day?

I don't think so, except maybe n4, n20G/H, H20, S1, n70, n25 maybe and S20 bus.

1. 5:25am n20G- Overcrowded (Northern Blvd from Queens to Great Neck was still crowded near Clearview Expressway will little traffic.

2. 6:25am n20H: Not so many people.

3. 7:46am n20H: Only 3 people including me.

4. 9:20am n79: Last bus was crowded, SRO.

5. 10:00am H20: Crowded because all seats were occupied on small bus.

6. 11:30am S1: Crowded, and Rte. 110 had usual traffic.

7. 12:30pm n70: Got crowded and there was still traffic along Hempstead Turnpike. Late 10 minutes.

8.  1:40pm n6: Crowded.

9. 2:02pm n25: Crowded, and 15 minutes late at Franklin Sq (most likely from LIE traffic.

10. 2:30pm n4: Crowded, not too much.

11. 4:00pm n19: Not too crowded. Lost lots of ridership after service cut.

12. 4:30pm S20 Babylon Loop: Only 3-4 passengers.

Bonus: Even on 9:45am LIRR Penn Station-bound Babylon Branch at 9:54am departure at Copiague didn't had increase either.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:25 PM, FamousNYLover said:

5. 10:00am H20: Crowded because all seats were occupied on small bus.

11. 4:00pm n19: Not too crowded. Lost lots of ridership after service cut.

12. 4:30pm S20 Babylon Loop: Only 3-4 passengers.

Bonus: Even on 9:45am LIRR Penn Station-bound Babylon Branch at 9:54am departure at Copiague didn't had increase either.

5. They use the small buses for the N20H now?

11. I wonder if they enact service cuts with the mindset that people won't find alternative means of travel.

12. Wow. Has the S20 loop ridership decreased since the N19 service reduction? Or was it low from the beginning?

I don't think many people participate in Car Free Long Island. It's kind of difficult if you're not going to Manhattan or Brooklyn via LIRR

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

11. I wonder if they enact service cuts with the mindset that people won't find alternative means of travel.

12. Wow. Has the S20 loop ridership decreased since the N19 service reduction? Or was it low from the beginning?

I don't think many people participate in Car Free Long Island. It's kind of difficult if you're not going to Manhattan or Brooklyn via LIRR

It was low from the beginning because Sunrise Mall is dying.

• 2 months later...

Archived