Addressing the real issues of homelessness within the Subway system

Asea Thompson

Hope all is well. I am starting this discussion to bring light to some of the horrifying scenes of disparity and blight that plague the NYC subways (and all of NYC for that matter). I have done my best (through sending in complaints to MTA, 311, department of Homeless Services, The Mayor, and NYPD) and, of course, I have not made any progress in getting the proper feedback and/or next steps on how these issues will be mediated. I am not speaking from a place of malice nor am I claiming to be a victim, but I do experience harassment and disturbances on a weekly basis while commuting on NYC subways. I have been verbally assaulted, I have been threatened, and the daily commute is creating high levels of anxiety for me because I never know what to expect on any given day. I know for a fact that I am not the only one going through this on a daily basis and would like to understand people's daily plight and if there are any organizations (grassroots and beyond) who provide holistic solutions to the epidemic of homelessness. I have been told countless times by agencies that they're either doing the best that they can OR there is nothing they can do. I just don't believe that. Homeless is not a singular issue. Homelessness is and can be coupled with mental illness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and emotional trauma. These issues require more attention than the MTA and Department of Homeless Services can provide. How can we as a community affect change in our daily commute and help those who are homeless but not be subjected to violence or harassment? I understand this is multi-layered but I'll break it down further:

1. How do we effectively achieve the change we wish to see on our daily commute? 
    1. What has been your experiences and what would you like to see differently?
    2. How do we effectively report and get assistance for those who are homeless and may be mentally afflicted?
    3. How do we ensure our safety during our daily travels and feel empowered to speak up without fear or pessimism of being brushed off?
  2. How do we engage with these city agencies in a more meaningful way? How do we create a community and discontinue this 'chain of command theory'?
    1. How do get agencies to take these reports more seriously?
    2. Do these different agencies communicate? How can they communicate more effectively? (dept. of Homeless Services, NYPD, 311, MTA: are they working together effectively to come up with viable solutions?)
  3. What are some holistic and community driven solutions to the homelessness epidemic?
    1. Are there grassroots organizations already advocating on behalf of  individuals who are homeless? Are they setting up shop within the subway system?
    2. Where is the disconnect throughout city agencies? (there are all these "plans" put in place to address this epidemic but they always seem to fall through...)

Let me know your thoughts. It's too many lives being affected by this not to care. Talk to you soon.

35 minutes ago, Asea Thompson said:

Hope all is well. I am starting this discussion to bring light to some of the horrifying scenes of disparity and blight that plague the NYC subways (and all of NYC for that matter). I have done my best (through sending in complaints to MTA, 311, department of Homeless Services, The Mayor, and NYPD) and, of course, I have not made any progress in getting the proper feedback and/or next steps on how these issues will be mediated. I am not speaking from a place of malice nor am I claiming to be a victim, but I do experience harassment and disturbances on a weekly basis while commuting on NYC subways. I have been verbally assaulted, I have been threatened, and the daily commute is creating high levels of anxiety for me because I never know what to expect on any given day. I know for a fact that I am not the only one going through this on a daily basis and would like to understand people's daily plight and if there are any organizations (grassroots and beyond) who provide holistic solutions to the epidemic of homelessness. I have been told countless times by agencies that they're either doing the best that they can OR there is nothing they can do. I just don't believe that. Homeless is not a singular issue. Homelessness is and can be coupled with mental illness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and emotional trauma. These issues require more attention than the MTA and Department of Homeless Services can provide. How can we as a community affect change in our daily commute and help those who are homeless but not be subjected to violence or harassment? I understand this is multi-layered but I'll break it down further:

1. How do we effectively achieve the change we wish to see on our daily commute? 
    1. What has been your experiences and what would you like to see differently?
    2. How do we effectively report and get assistance for those who are homeless and may be mentally afflicted?
    3. How do we ensure our safety during our daily travels and feel empowered to speak up without fear or pessimism of being brushed off?
  2. How do we engage with these city agencies in a more meaningful way? How do we create a community and discontinue this 'chain of command theory'?
    1. How do get agencies to take these reports more seriously?
    2. Do these different agencies communicate? How can they communicate more effectively? (dept. of Homeless Services, NYPD, 311, MTA: are they working together effectively to come up with viable solutions?)
  3. What are some holistic and community driven solutions to the homelessness epidemic?
    1. Are there grassroots organizations already advocating on behalf of  individuals who are homeless? Are they setting up shop within the subway system?
    2. Where is the disconnect throughout city agencies? (there are all these "plans" put in place to address this epidemic but they always seem to fall through...)

Let me know your thoughts. It's too many lives being affected by this not to care. Talk to you soon.

Let me first say that I applaud you for bringing this up because it a major issue in our subway system, that as you said has been brushed off by many.  It IS a problem that isn't being address the way that it should be, in part because more of us are ignoring it and not giving it the attention that it needs by demanding accountability first and foremost from our mayor.  He out of everyone has the power to address the problem by doing things like adding more patrols at a minimum to make commuters feel somewhat safer while riding the subway.

Homelessness in our subways is a complex issue in part because technically they are not supposed to be removed by force, so they can loiter and the like and basically set up shop on the subway cars and in the stations, as they are considered public spaces. As you also said, many of them suffer from mental issues and are a danger to themselves as well as passengers. Those who have other commuter options use them, myself included.  That's one way to get around the problem, but you may not be so lucky.  I rarely use the subways now unless it's for short trips and opt for Metro-North or the express bus or even the local bus for trips within Manhattan and just give myself more time. It's a much more civilized commute to be honest.

With that said, there is at least one program that I know of where people go around Grand Central trying to help the homeless and get them shelter, food and so on, but their presence doesn't appear to be all that regular or consistent, and may only occur when commuters complain about being harassed (i.e. can't eat in the food court on the Lower Concourse because it is taken over by homeless people, which continues to be a big problem).  Aside from that I'm not aware of any grassroots organizations.  I would be happy to sign any petition or be a part of anything that you find out that makes our subway system safer and cleaner, as both are definitely needed.

Archived