De Blasio’s Five-Point Plan Aims to Reduce Traffic Congestion

Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Bill de Blasio of course.  What idiot runs for mayor, becomes mayor, and then refuses to root for the Yankees which is from the same city he's the mayor of? Bill de Blasio.  I don't care about him being from Massachusetts.  You live in NY now and you're the mayor of NY.  Have some class and root for the home team that has the potential to bring in more money to this city! Unbelievable.  

If I ever ended up mayor and the Giants played the Yankees in the series, I'm getting a split jersey - 3/4 Yanks and 1/4 Giants just in case the folks who remember that the Giants used to play in Harlem have dementia.

7 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The Jackie Robinson has a lot of curves but a 45MPH limit is ridiculous. As for the Cross Island, which parts are hairy? 

The Jackie Robinson is so narrow that you could easily clip your side mirrors off on one of those underpasses.

Cross Island has relatively tight curves, poor ramps, and no shoulders at all. 

On 10/24/2017 at 10:42 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Mr. de Blasio has pushed back on congestion pricing, or charging drivers a fee to pass through the busiest corridors of the city, an idea championed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, a Democrat. The program, in play in other cities, like London, would be an unfair burden for low-income New Yorkers, Mr. de Blasio said.

This is what really stood out to me. Poor New Yorkers don't drive! :lol: Maybe the ones from Long Island and Westchester do but that's not of his concern, that's a problem with the state, but what's this? Cuomo is actually SUPPORTING congestion pricing? What a joke, this is probably the only time in the next ever that the governor will actually support such a measure and here we have this clown who doesn't support it because then he'd be forced onto the subway like us common folk. And then he has the nerve to act like he's doing people justice. Really, who signed off on that comment? Is everyone on his staff that out of touch that they all thought "Yeah, that's a good excuse, go with that, everyone will love you for it"? SMH

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Bill de Blasio of course.  What idiot runs for mayor, becomes mayor, and then refuses to root for the Yankees which is from the same city he's the mayor of? Bill de Blasio.  I don't care about him being from Massachusetts.  You live in NY now and you're the mayor of NY.  Have some class and root for the home team that has the potential to bring in more money to this city! Unbelievable.  

That should tell you all you need to know really.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Bill DeBlasio's IQ Seems so low it makes me wonder how in hell did he even made it as a politician. He is one of the most dystopian narcisistic mayor that has ever ruled NY. Like at least show support for the team in your damn city. He literally is a money incinerator and with him finger pointing, it ain't gonna help him earn or even win reelection. He is a person that is ALL TALK NO ACTION and we cant have that here. He thinks that by Finger pointing his responsibilities will easily fly off his back, well it isn't that way and He is playing the pay to play game WASTING OUR TAXPAYER DOLLARS on a Gas guzzling SUV for more than a mile to go to a damn gym. At least use public transportation or go on a bike, or something that won't spend 1 Million dollars an hour. Congestion pricing is something NEEDED in the city and cannot be rejected, the amount of traffic is intolerable at this point, and this is the last resort. Andrew Cuomo as Governor of NY State is actually doing more in the city than this dumb f*ck elected to office. This is how corrupt and irresponsible this @$$hole is, and cannot even afford to take charge of his mistakes, instead he blames anything else outside of his orbit to clean his name up, well it's about time he gets the f*ck out of this city, and if a Republican is our only choice, I'd die to take the risk than spend another 4 years of nuclear retardation and endless hell.

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The Jackie Robinson is so narrow that you could easily clip your side mirrors off on one of those underpasses.

Cross Island has relatively tight curves, poor ramps, and no shoulders at all. 

I've never noticed that issue on the Jackie Robinson, do you drive a wide vehicle?

Most of the parkway's narrowness is more noticeable after returning from out of state. I went out of state for like a week, then when I got on to the Belt Parkway from the VZB I was like :huh:

Yes the ramps and shoulders are a problem on the Cross Island, especially since many entrance ramps have a stop sign where it meets the highway.

57 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Bill DeBlasio's IQ Seems so low it makes me wonder how in hell did he even made it as a politician. He is one of the most dystopian narcisistic mayor that has ever ruled NY. Like at least show support for the team in your damn city. He literally is a money incinerator and with him finger pointing, it ain't gonna help him earn or even win reelection. He is a person that is ALL TALK NO ACTION and we cant have that here. He thinks that by Finger pointing his responsibilities will easily fly off his back, well it isn't that way and He is playing the pay to play game WASTING OUR TAXPAYER DOLLARS on a Gas guzzling SUV for more than a mile to go to a damn gym. At least use public transportation or go on a bike, or something that won't spend 1 Million dollars an hour. Congestion pricing is something NEEDED in the city and cannot be rejected, the amount of traffic is intolerable at this point, and this is the last resort. Andrew Cuomo as Governor of NY State is actually doing more in the city than this dumb f*ck elected to office. This is how corrupt and irresponsible this @$$hole is, and cannot even afford to take charge of his mistakes, instead he blames anything else outside of his orbit to clean his name up, well it's about time he gets the f*ck out of this city, and if a Republican is our only choice, I'd die to take the risk than spend another 4 years of nuclear retardation and endless hell.

He won by essentially not being Bloomberg. Generally, once every two or three terms we switch parties in terms of governance. Bloomberg barely got the third one, and that was by spending tens of  millions.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

I've never noticed that issue on the Jackie Robinson, do you drive a wide vehicle?

Most of the parkway's narrowness is more noticeable after returning from out of state. I went out of state for like a week, then when I got on to the Belt Parkway from the VZB I was like :huh:

Yes the ramps and shoulders are a problem on the Cross Island, especially since many entrance ramps have a stop sign where it meets the highway.

First time I drove the Jackie Ro, I was acting like a Californian - 20 mph over the speed limit, quick lane changes, all that.

Then I got to the narrow and curvy section right after the Van Wyck and got the scare of my life when my V rated tires almost lost grip on a hairpin and came 1/4 inch from the wall. Then I realized I had less than 6 inches of clearance at the mirror with the car on my right.

Same happened on the Saw Mill and Bx River Parkways too.

NYC metro’s parkways are narrow AF.

(I had a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6, in case you’re wondering.)

5 hours ago, CDTA said:

This is what really stood out to me. Poor New Yorkers don't drive! :lol: Maybe the ones from Long Island and Westchester do but that's not of his concern, that's a problem with the state, but what's this? Cuomo is actually SUPPORTING congestion pricing? What a joke, this is probably the only time in the next ever that the governor will actually support such a measure and here we have this clown who doesn't support it because then he'd be forced onto the subway like us common folk. And then he has the nerve to act like he's doing people justice. Really, who signed off on that comment? Is everyone on his staff that out of touch that they all thought "Yeah, that's a good excuse, go with that, everyone will love you for it"? SMH

That should tell you all you need to know really.

Yeah well they can't afford to, but overall, New Yorkers regardless of their economic standing don't drive. Unless you're commuting regularly outside of Manhattan, it often times doesn't make sense. The streets in some areas are just horrible. I was walking on the Upper East Side last night to Whole Foods. Pebbles everywhere, streets torn up above 86th but unlevel with craters galore below 86th and on it. Try driving on that... It's difficult for me to wear my driving shoes and other expensive leather soled shoes because the streets are so bad, so I would have a hard time driving a nice car in Manhattan. The people that I know that do drive only do so on weekends for trips outside of Manhattan, otherwise they take public transportation, and they are certainly not low-class. We need better paved streets, but even so, parking is so atrocious and expensive that it usually doesn't pay, be it time-wise or money-wise.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:58 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

He can start by improving congestion by reopening streets he closed for those damn pedestrian plazas. Didnt he want to knee cap uber but was yelled at by a few celebrities such as kate upton? Also london kicked out uber for not following the rules

Those plazas have been proven to improve speeds, as they redirect traffic away from pinch points and smooth the flow. Look up the numbers for Times Square. It was worse before. The effort to limit Uber was a good one--they are a horrible company that doesn't pay its workers right or treat its customers fairly, and they added thousands of cars to the streets--but Uber spent so much money against the city that they gave up.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:37 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Speed limit needs to be back at 30/35.  Parkways and expressways at 55/60. Other cities you flying at 65 or even 70. Just came back from Virginia certain parts of 95 are 70MPH. 

I know in New York that won't happen. However, if the speed limits were slightly increased that can be one cause for better traffic. 

This speed limit talk is pretty silly. All that an increase to 35 would do would allow people to speed down side streets more. Traffic on all major avenues generally flows between 25-35 based on the amount of traffic anyway, and I've never even heard of a speeding ticket on actual city streets. The highways people also tend to drive appropriate speeds, but recently NYS (not NYPD) officers have been sticklers. That should stop. And Virginia's a bad example: they have insane policies about speeding, where going 15-20 over can get you a night in jail. Sure, it's 70, but they hold you to 70. I went cross country last summer, and most of the country people just drive what they feel like. You go through Texas and 100mph is considered cruising speed. Regardless, those speeds don't really matter much in the city, and it is in the interests of everybody to keep the limits on local streets reasonable.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:38 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

How interesting that before the election, de Blasio made comments along the lines of "I don't care about traffic problems" (such as during the initial increased security around Trump tower), and mysteriously right before the general election, he starts caring about traffic. 

That wasn't what he said. He actually immediately addressed traffic there. The comment you are mistakenly referring to was about the decreased pedestrian traffic to boutique shops like Gucci or such, which he snidely said wasn't a big issue for the city. The truth is, it isn't. What you're referencing didn't happen. 

On 10/25/2017 at 1:53 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You sound like a fake fan. No Yankees fan would ever, EVER root for the Red Sox, even if they lived in Boston. I would expect the same from a Sox fan. I don't know what your money point is, but the Yankees do fine without the mayor in uniform.

23 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

TYou sound like a fake fan. No Yankees fan would ever, EVER root for the Red Sox, even if they lived in Boston. I would expect the same from a Sox fan. I don't know what your money point is, but the Yankees do fine without the mayor in uniform.

Who cares. If he loves the Sox so much, let him go back to Boston!  We wouldn't miss his sorry @ss. 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Those plazas have been proven to improve speeds, as they redirect traffic away from pinch points and smooth the flow. Look up the numbers for Times Square. It was worse before. The effort to limit Uber was a good one--they are a horrible company that doesn't pay its workers right or treat its customers fairly, and they added thousands of cars to the streets--but Uber spent so much money against the city that they gave up

Yeah cause didnt deblasio famiously get scolded by kate upton as a result of that

5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

This speed limit talk is pretty silly. All that an increase to 35 would do would allow people to speed down side streets more. Traffic on all major avenues generally flows between 25-35 based on the amount of traffic anyway, and I've never even heard of a speeding ticket on actual city streets. The highways people also tend to drive appropriate speeds, but recently NYS (not NYPD) officers have been sticklers. That should stop. And Virginia's a bad example: they have insane policies about speeding, where going 15-20 over can get you a night in jail. Sure, it's 70, but they hold you to 70. I went cross country last summer, and most of the country people just drive what they feel like. You go through Texas and 100mph is considered cruising speed. Regardless, those speeds don't really matter much in the city, and it is in the interests of everybody to keep the limits on local streets reasonable.

You definitely got a point with Virginia. Yes, they can hold you to that 70 on I95 with no increase up to 85MPH. There are 2 stretches of the turnpike you often see NJ state troopers sitting. One of those areas are near the barracks in central jersey (I WILL NOT DISCLOSE THE EXIT). However, that is a high area for pullovers. (mind this. Turnpike is 65 for most of the stretch with exception of the particular area I mentioned and that drops to 55. 40 when its construction.  

As far as NYS Police is concerned. I saw one about 2 months ago traveling in Brooklyn, Flatbush Avenue to be exact and they pulled over 1 vehicle. Look like the insurance wasn't clean and that person got hauled away.  Also, NYS police traveling all black unmarked on the Belt. Seen one this evening. 

At the end, I do agree with you in regards to speed limit increase. However, I believe when the speed limit was at 30. Traffic to me flow a bit better. Buses were able to travel at least 40-45. 

12 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

....There are 2 stretches of the turnpike you often see NJ state troopers sitting. One of those areas are near the barracks in central jersey (I WILL NOT DISCLOSE THE EXIT). However, that is a high area for pullovers. (mind this. Turnpike is 65 for most of the stretch with exception of the particular area I mentioned and that drops to 55. 40 when its construction. 

Sounds like Toms River....

On 10/27/2017 at 7:10 PM, MHV9218 said:

Those plazas have been proven to improve speeds, as they redirect traffic away from pinch points and smooth the flow. Look up the numbers for Times Square. It was worse before. The effort to limit Uber was a good one--they are a horrible company that doesn't pay its workers right or treat its customers fairly, and they added thousands of cars to the streets--but Uber spent so much money against the city that they gave up.

That wasn't what he said. He actually immediately addressed traffic there. The comment you are mistakenly referring to was about the decreased pedestrian traffic to boutique shops like Gucci or such, which he snidely said wasn't a big issue for the city. The truth is, it isn't. What you're referencing didn't happen. 

You sound like a fake fan. No Yankees fan would ever, EVER root for the Red Sox, even if they lived in Boston. I would expect the same from a Sox fan. I don't know what your money point is, but the Yankees do fine without the mayor in uniform.

I assume you are referring to the following de Blaise quote: 

“I will not tell you that Gucci and Tiffany are my central concerns in life."

I am referring to the OTHER quote de Blaise most certainly did say to reporters when asked about his plan for mitigating Trump tower traffic: 

"The holidays are coming anyway. Midtown is going to be all messed up anyway."  

Now, feel free to disagree, but I took that quote to mean that de blasio  was not too worried about extra traffic. I don't really see how to interpret that otherwise, but please do enlighten me. 

And, I had to catch the QM1 at 57 and Madison at that time, and boy was that god awful. All de blasio did to mitigate traffic was throw ni a few extra traffic agents at the corner who did precisely nothing. It was an absolute disaster, but all de blasio cared about was getting extra press pictures of him going up to trump tower to talk to trump and pretend to be some sort of liberal hero to the democrats

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I assume you are referring to the following de Blaise quote: 

“I will not tell you that Gucci and Tiffany are my central concerns in life."

I am referring to the OTHER quote de Blaise most certainly did say to reporters when asked about his plan for mitigating Trump tower traffic: 

"The holidays are coming anyway. Midtown is going to be all messed up anyway."  

Now, feel free to disagree, but I took that quote to mean that de blasio  was not too worried about extra traffic. I don't really see how to interpret that otherwise, but please do enlighten me. 

And, I had to catch the QM1 at 57 and Madison at that time, and boy was that god awful. All de blasio did to mitigate traffic was throw ni a few extra traffic agents at the corner who did precisely nothing. It was an absolute disaster, but all de blasio cared about was getting extra press pictures of him going up to trump tower to talk to trump and pretend to be some sort of liberal hero to the democrats

MVH is Manhattan centric. Typical liberal. He doesn't give a damn about us in the boroughs and especially express bus riders.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

MVH is Manhattan centric. Typical liberal. He doesn't give a damn about us in the boroughs and especially express bus riders.

You are an ostentatious parody of recycled talking points. Not worth addressing this, good night.

This speed limit talk is pretty silly. All that an increase to 35 would do would allow people to speed down side streets more. Traffic on all major avenues generally flows between 25-35 based on the amount of traffic anyway, and I've never even heard of a speeding ticket on actual city streets. 

When they first changed the limit you had cops on Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn hanging out with their radar guns. 

Those plazas have been proven to improve speeds, as they redirect traffic away from pinch points and smooth the flow. Look up the numbers for Times Square. It was worse before.

I get that but i would get rid of the plaza for other reasons since its becoming too filthy(figuratively)

1 hour ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I get that but i would get rid of the plaza for other reasons since its becoming too filthy(figuratively)

The alternative is pedestrians walking down Broadway and gumming up the actual car lanes. Do people not remember the conditions on the ground pre-plazas? The now is not great, but the past was way, way worse.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:59 PM, B35 via Church said:

Sounds like Toms River....

I was thinking along the lines of Trenton (South), Freehold (Northbound)

Toms River is along the lines of the Garden State Parkway and Route 9 // Jersey Shore, I believe there is a barracks near that area.

GSP: very bushy area and very dark during late night hours.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 11:36 AM, NY1635 said:

I'm familiar with 57th Street and in my opinion, all the congestion in that corridor is caused either by construction in the area, high amount of tourists looking around, and that no left turn rule in effect between 5th and 8th Avenues. The M31 and M57 aren't really frequent enough for bus lanes, they just get caught up in the midtown traffic and then bunch up by crazy. I know because I've ridden both routes from  7th Ave to 11th and have gotten fed up with both routes getting traffic and crawling like a snails pace. It's much easier to just walk over to the west side than rely on those buses from the subway.

I'm not sure if overnight deliveries are feasible. That would require the delivery truck to arrive at the destination either at 4 in the morning, or 10 at night depending on when business want their deliveries. I'm not sure if businesses and truck drivers would commit to those hours.

Overnight deliveries are not feasible. A small business owner is supposed to show up at 4am for deliveries? Ridiculous, for small and even large businesses.

1 hour ago, Dan1 said:

Overnight deliveries are not feasible. A small business owner is supposed to show up at 4am for deliveries? Ridiculous, for small and even large businesses.

Most businesses in Manhattan have employees working overnight. Some shifts either begin or end at 2am depending on the field. Plus there's lots of people, especially from Long Island, entering the city thru the LIRR at 3 or 4 in the morning to get to work. Overnight deliveries can be feasible, the issue is paying people to be up that early.

Archived