Redirected to phishing pop up screens

T to Dyre Avenue

Question

For the past two weeks, I’ve been getting redirected to phishing pop up screens that won’t let me go forward unless I click on the link. The only way around the pop up screen is to close out of Safari entirely. Unfortunately the forum’s software won’t let me post a screenshot of the offending pop up screen, but basically it says “they” have detected that my iPhone has been infected with viruses and needs to be protected. Of course it’s a phishing scam, but getting this message repeatedly is preventing me from posting, looking at the new photos posted by the other members or just plain visiting what - up to now - had been one of my favorite websites. Is there something that can be done to block these scammers and their incredibly annoying pop ups? 

2 answers to this question

Someone else reported the same issue. I have not experienced any of this being reported to me.

Supposedly my ad network does not serve pop-up ads or pop-under ads.  I would check your phone for possible adware.

Someone reported this to me on Android while using Chrome. I'm using Firefox and Chrome mobile and nothing so far.

I will investigate further.

Archived