Ridership numbers lowest since Sandy

mfs NJT459

Due to lower gas prices, more people taking Uber/Lyft, Hoboken crash last year, trains getting cancelled due to crew/engineer shortage, 3 train derailments at Penn Station from March to July

http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/watchdog/2017/10/27/nj-transit-posts-lowest-ridership-decline-since-superstorm-sandy/799352001/

A couple days ago two trains were cancelled back to back on the Morris & Essex line, I was on the second one that was cancelled where the train was taken OOS due to an mechanical problem.

The article also says that transit ridership is declining nationwide, Uber is eating into transit's ridership base everywhere.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:54 PM, mfs NJT459 said:

Due to lower gas prices, more people taking Uber/Lyft, Hoboken crash last year, trains getting cancelled due to crew/engineer shortage, 3 train derailments at Penn Station from March to July

http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/watchdog/2017/10/27/nj-transit-posts-lowest-ridership-decline-since-superstorm-sandy/799352001/

On 10/27/2017 at 9:49 PM, trainfan22 said:

A couple days ago two trains were cancelled back to back on the Morris & Essex line, I was on the second one that was cancelled where the train was taken OOS due to an mechanical problem.

The article also says that transit ridership is declining nationwide, Uber is eating into transit's ridership base everywhere.

Lower gas prices just makes it more enticing, but quite frankly it's really the poor service that is leading to this. I have a few co-workers that live in Montclair who commute via NJ Transit to the office and it's always something.  They both complain about sh*tty service.  The amount of trains cancelled without notice is just crazy.  On top of that, their app is atrocious. 

The reason for most of train cancellations is staffing.  NJT crews (engineers, bus drivers, management, and maybe conductors alike) have been going across the Hudson to work at (MTA).   I was working the Far Hills Steeplechase with Lakeland in conjunction with NJ Transit Rail last weekend and came across a very interesting newspaper clipping at Gladstone Rail Station.  That article’s headline (forgot which paper did it)  read “WHERE ARE THE NJ TRANSIT ENGINEERS?  THEY'RE WORKING FOR METRO-NORTH”.  In that article, was a statement reading MN engineers top out at $46/hr whereas NJT goes up to $32 (honestly, I’d be happy with the $32).

Let’s not also forget that Veronica Hakim, the former head of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority was at NJT for all of a week (maybe 2?) before taking a spot at (MTA) NYC Transit.  The reason?  You guessed it, 💰  💰 💰.   Talk to a lot of people at (MTA), you’ll find that a lot of folks’ first stop was NJ Transit (or other private carrier)

Archived